Author Topic: One antenna with band switching between 2M (144MHz) and 70cm (440MHz)  (Read 1669 times)

Offline JoeyGTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi
I am thinking of a small handheld design where I can have one antenna and switch in passive L's and C'  to band switch the antenna from 2M to 70cm  with a or more FETs.

Has anyone come across PCB design that can do the band switching or do I need a band switch for different antenna (not prefered).

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
I'm not a ham radio guy, but you may be able to find something on Alan Wolke's YouTube channel.

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
Band "switching" is unnecessary.

Just use a low pass LC for 144MHz, and high pass LC for 440MHz, and leave them both permanently connected to their respective antennas.

This device is called a duplexer and can be homebrewed or purchased from any ham radio shop.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Hamelec

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor

Just use a low pass LC for 144MHz, and high pass LC for 440MHz, and leave them both permanently connected to their respective antennas.

This device is called a duplexer and can be homebrewed or purchased from any ham radio shop.
The OP clearly stated one antenna.

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor

Whether it's a single antenna being split into separate 2m and 70cm transceivers, or a single transceiver being split into separate 2m and 70cm antennas, the low & high pass LC filters can remain in circuit permanently connected.  No switching is necessary.

The following users thanked this post: Hamelec

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor

Whether it's a single antenna being split into separate 2m and 70cm transceivers, or a single transceiver being split into separate 2m and 70cm antennas, the low & high pass LC filters can remain in circuit permanently connected.  No switching is necessary.
While that is true both cases involve 3 entities. The OP wrote "a small handheld design" and "one antenna". Only 2 entities.

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor

While that is true both cases involve 3 entities. The OP wrote "a small handheld design" and "one antenna". Only 2 entities.
Switching seems to imply the existence of a 3rd entity.

Otherwise obviously I have no idea what the OP's entire proposed system interconnect is.

The following users thanked this post: Hamelec

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Are there not already about one hundred different antennas that are 'dual band' for 2M and 70CM band with either an SMA male or female connector as well as BNC types readily available???
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
Hi
I am thinking of a small handheld design where I can have one antenna and switch in passive L's and C'  to band switch the antenna from 2M to 70cm  with a or more FETs.

Has anyone come across PCB design that can do the band switching or do I need a band switch for different antenna (not prefered).

or... no switching at all; consider this idea

https://vk2zoi.com/articles/dual-band-half-wave-flower-pot/

now, while the above is probably too long for a handheld, it may give you some hints

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
Today one would need the diplexer (written with "i") when he/she/it wants to use duplex (written with "u") mode operation with the handheld transceiver.

You have one single "multiband antennna" (2, 3, 4 etc. bands in one single antenna, one connector) and the diplexer inside the radio separates the signals based on the frequency (none switching involved), while you receive and transmit at the same time "cross-band".
This mode is used rarely in HAM world, however, therefore there is only a couple of TRXes with this functionality on the market (the most expensive ones).

For a dual band antenna in a "simplex" mode you would not need diplexer or switch.

As it has been indicated above, there are dozens of various types of "multiband antennas" for VHF/UHF bands available either for purchase or as a DIY build. It is rather broad and difficult area to elaborate here, you would need to search and study a lot.. Best is to use a commercial multiband antenna for the bands of interest. Most of them are fakes (those for $3-$10), but there are genuine ones still available.

PS: I own the handheld which can do full duplex, and I made only 2 single QSOs ever, as an experiment with other HAM who had the appropriate equipment, where we did it as an experiment, it worked nice, I have to admit.. You have to check your local regulation btw., not everywhere is the duplex as well as simplex "cross-band" allowed by the authorities, imho..
HAM operators on this bands use simplex only, thus unless you would organize and prepare such a QSO in advance you will not be lucky with the duplex mode..

There is one exception - the HAM communication over LEO satellites, where it could be used (if allowed by the local authorities). But for that you would need multi-element Yagi antennas, with circular polarization, usually one Yagi for a band (ie. 70cm uplink and 2m downlink or vice versa), both Yagis mounted on a single boom (like "X").
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 05:47:26 pm by iMo »

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Re: One antenna with band switching between 2M (144MHz) and 70cm (440MHz)
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2024, 03:15:06 pm »
just google 2m and 70cm dual band J-pole wire antenna
band switching is unnecessary.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2024, 08:07:41 pm »
2 meter antennas usually work acceptably at 70 centimeters without doing anything special, so the 2 meter and 70 centimeter RF ports just need to be combined with a duplexer.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2024, 09:47:03 pm »

You have one single "multiband antennna" (2, 3, 4 etc. bands in one single antenna, one connector) and the diplexer inside the radio separates the signals based on the frequency (none switching involved), while you receive and transmit at the same time "cross-band".
This mode is used rarely in HAM world, however, therefore there is only a couple of TRXes with this functionality on the market (the most expensive ones).

PS: I own the handheld which can do full duplex, and I made only 2 single QSOs ever, as an experiment with other HAM who had the appropriate equipment, where we did it as an experiment, it worked nice, I have to admit.. You have to check your local regulation btw., not everywhere is the duplex as well as simplex "cross-band" allowed by the authorities, imho..
HAM operators on this bands use simplex only, thus unless you would organize and prepare such a QSO in advance you will not be lucky with the duplex mode..

There is one exception - the HAM communication over LEO satellites, where it could be used (if allowed by the local authorities). But for that you would need multi-element Yagi antennas, with circular polarization, usually one Yagi for a band (ie. 70cm uplink and 2m downlink or vice versa), both Yagis mounted on a single boom (like "X").

It is quite easy and inexpensive to make a crossband repeater using two radios (cheap Chinese HH, for example) with the audio I/Os connected together and VOX mode. For example

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf