Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 504463 times)

Offline joabel1971

• Contributor
  • !
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #2450 on: July 19, 2024, 04:50:25 pm »
Best to get a NanoVNA to help with your questions, they aren't expensive :-+

Must remember the NanoVNA just makes measurements and can't interpret if the measurements are from a coil, resistor, or capacitor. The user decides what the VNA displays which can be equivalent parameters for R, L and C, and then user can interpret how these represent the actual DUT.

Effective Coaxial Cable length can be measured by using reflectometry or TDR, the NanoVNA supports this measurement as well.

Best,

That's right, but patent 512,340 claims that capacitive & inductive reactance cancels out - at the resonant frequency.   How should I consider that different - from from a 1-wire coil?   

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2451 on: July 19, 2024, 04:54:35 pm »
Suspect all coils have a Self Resonance, as they all have Inductance and Capacitance, this is not unique to Patent 512,340 coil. When the inductive reactance cancels the capacitive reactance you have resonance.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline joabel1971

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2452 on: July 19, 2024, 05:05:17 pm »
Suspect all coils have a Self Resonance, as they all have Inductance and Capacitance, this is not unique to Patent 512,340 coil. When the inductive reactance cancels the capacitive reactance you have resonance.

Best,

Gotcha.   So, if Inductance & Capacitance cancels out - it appears all I will have is a resistor (and a current-driven Inductively-Coupled Plasma jet).   
To fully analyze & understand such a DUT - I knew I would need to build a 1-wire & 2-wire coil of the same length - to figure out if there are differences.
But it doesn't hurt to ask - if someone might have an educated guess. 

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2453 on: July 19, 2024, 05:18:13 pm »
Since these are flat spirals they won't follow N^2 like Solenoid types, probably something less than N^2 for the flat coil.

Stacking a pair of flat identical spirals should increase the overall inductance of a single isolated flat spiral and if they are closely coupled (one on top the other) the current flows in the same direction on the top and bottom spirals. Then one would suspect that the result would yield ~ 4 times that of a single flat spiral, thinking of this a a Two Turn (N=2) Solenoid equivalent where a Turn in this case is the flat spiral.

Anyway, an EM simulation should yield more insight.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline joabel1971

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2454 on: July 19, 2024, 05:27:05 pm »
Since these are flat spirals they won't follow N^2 like Solenoid types, probably something less than N^2 for the flat coil.

Stacking a pair of flat identical spirals should increase the overall inductance of a single isolated flat spiral and if they are closely coupled (one on top the other) the current flows in the same direction on the top and bottom spirals. Then one would suspect that the result would yield ~ 4 times that of a single flat spiral, thinking of this a a Two Turn (N=2) Solenoid equivalent where a Turn in this case is the flat spiral.

Anyway, an EM simulation should yield more insight.

Best,

Here's a valid question.   What if the patent implies a bird's eye view of a cone shape - not a pancake?   I mean - there's lots of spelling mistakes in the patent (probably through OCP scanning errors over the years) - so maybe a side-view of the coil is also, somehow missing.     It says directly on the diagram that there is "No Model.", so maybe something is missing?   

Since I have no use for the pancake shape - I will be concentrating on helical & cone shapes, anyway.
You can't really build an ICP jet with a pancake coil.     

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2455 on: July 19, 2024, 06:47:36 pm »
You could easily construct a small coil for physical measurements.

Agree, a few minutes of work..  I was surprised they had not tried anything. 

Nothing like stating the obvious.   :-DD 

Agree, 4X for Tesla patent, or we could make a non-inductive coil if the two are connected at the same end.  I've never seen a non-inductive WW resistor made that way but, maybe we could get some free energy from it...   Again, just stating the obvious.

Seems like it would be easy enough to work the math and build up a coil.  Measure it with the cheap VNA and RLC meter.  I may spend a few minutes tonight and see if they will award me some of that warp drive grant money for my efforts.   :-DD

Forgot to say, I was impressed you actually got him to drop the delusional BS and somewhat focus on something real for a change.  Good job with that!   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2456 on: July 19, 2024, 08:50:59 pm »
Seems like it would be easy enough to work the math and build up a coil.  Measure it with the cheap VNA and RLC meter.  I may spend a few minutes tonight and see if they will award me some of that warp drive grant money for my efforts.   :-DD

1.  Joe, it looks like you are one changing your tune - since you said you had no use for the patent.
However, it took the patience of other people here - to break through that barrier. 

It's the entertainment value.

Offline joabel1971

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2457 on: July 19, 2024, 08:59:39 pm »

1.  Joe, it looks like you are one changing your tune - since you said you had no use for the patent.
However, it took the patience of other people here - to break through that barrier. 

It's the entertainment value.

Well, it's nice that the scientific method keeps giving me opportunities to rethink your sincerity - and your distractions.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2458 on: July 19, 2024, 09:07:28 pm »
When it comes to scammers and free energy warp drives, you can pretty much always bank on my sincerity. 

I have requested Dave to move the posts related your topic into:   
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/solving-teslas-patent-512-340-for-free-energy-warp-drives-and-religious-uses

I will use that location for any experiments I run relating to it.

Offline joabel1971

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2459 on: July 19, 2024, 09:13:45 pm »
When it comes to scammers and free energy warp drives, you can pretty much always bank on my sincerity. 

I have requested Dave to move the posts related your topic into:   
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/solving-teslas-patent-512-340-for-free-energy-warp-drives-and-religious-uses

I will use that location for any experiments I run relating to it.

Again, that is slander.   At no point did I ever say the words "Free Energy or Religious Uses".   You've tried to attach me to your own wording.       

But, I'll certainly let Applied Physics know that you aren't sincere about requests for such a grant.   

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2460 on: July 20, 2024, 01:43:52 am »
joable1971, your welcome in his thread has run out, do not post in this thread again. Post in here again and your posts will be deleted, we will not tolerate oyu polluting this 100 page software support thread for own amusement.
Use this instead of polluting here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/re-nanovna-custom-software/

EDIT: 2 additional posts now deleted. Keep it up and you get banned.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 03:26:56 am by EEVblog »

Offline joabel1971

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2461 on: July 20, 2024, 04:32:24 am »
Best to get a NanoVNA to help with your questions, they aren't expensive :-+

Must remember the NanoVNA just makes measurements and can't interpret if the measurements are from a coil, resistor, or capacitor. The user decides what the VNA displays which can be equivalent parameters for R, L and C, and then user can interpret how these represent the actual DUT.

Effective Coaxial Cable length can be measured by using reflectometry or TDR, the NanoVNA supports this measurement as well.

Best,

Thanks, I own 2 of them.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2462 on: Today at 05:36:51 pm »
This was my last update to the software.  The original post was buried within the rantings of a madman and with no way to clean things up, I decided to repost get a clean start.   Also, the last experiment that I had used the software for was to construct a working EPR spectrometer, also linked below.   

Solver64 5.04 is now live.  This version adds support for my EPR spectrometer.  I'm sure that is not useful, but it also enables the magnification feature for the Smith chart in the main menu.   Two additional gains were added.   This feature was added in an  attempt to repeat member pdenisowski cable impedance measurements.  Because the Smith chart is an overlay,  the scaling is still fixed.  It does however make moving the cursors easier if you are trying to zoom into the noise like I was.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/vna-for-cable-characterization/msg5565895/#msg5565895

The following users thanked this post: Grandchuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf