Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 509125 times)

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1925 on: March 18, 2022, 08:21:26 pm »
Re: Your feedback
1. Thanks for reminder about leakage. I'll study that and incorporate.
2. I know I'm exceeding freq. limits.  I'm pushing beyond to see if the published limit is accurate for my unit.  No harm there.  Will not try that with dbm limit!
3. Yes.  I calibrated before trying normalizing.  I did not realize that would be a mistake.
Thanks.

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1926 on: March 18, 2022, 08:52:41 pm »
I assume you ran your V2Plus4 standalone, setting the range to 4.5GHz and it allowed it.   From that you feel there may be something to gain.  My software wouldn't care and assumes you know what you are doing.   The reason I mention it is I think the firmware I have for the V2+4 will coerce the data to stay within the limits.  Obviously, if that were the case you are just fooling yourself.  One way to get more BW is to go with the LiteVNA.  It's about half the cost and offers a lot more bang for the buck anyway.   I'm surprised that you wouldn't have gone with it.     

I don't consider attempting to run your equipment outside of the specified range,   normalizing after cal  or even running a calibration with the data collection turned off a mistake.  Again,  I try to keep the software as open and flexible as possible as it is an engineering tool after all and not recommended for the beginner.   Your mistake comes when you suggested the software locks up when it's just doing what you told it.   One way to avoid that would be to read the manual.     

For the leakage, just turn it on.  There is no need to recal or change your setup.

I just checked my V2+4 with the original firmware (20201010-86c7055) installed and indeed mine will coerce the setting to keep it in range.  If I enter 4.5GHz, mine will coerce to 4.4GHz.  So you must have newer firmware than mine.   Or you believe my software somehow overcomes this limitation, which of course, it does not.     
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:49:48 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1927 on: March 19, 2022, 03:15:06 pm »
Solver64 is now available.   

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1928 on: March 19, 2022, 08:15:53 pm »
SOLVED ( ini.file)  :-+

« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 02:55:51 pm by realfran »

Offline cyp_eev

• Contributor
« Reply #1929 on: March 20, 2022, 12:55:06 am »
Solver64 is now available.   

Works perfect, no problems so far.
Many thanks!

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1930 on: March 20, 2022, 01:34:08 am »
Hello Joe,
"the LiteVNA.  It's about half the cost and offers a lot more bang for the buck anyway.   I'm surprised that you wouldn't have gone with it."
I asked you which version of the vna's to get.  You said either the original or the v2plus4 would be good for learning.

"read the manual"  I did.  I still make mistakes.  This is all new I did not have the common sense that the calibration session was going too fast (without first activating the sweep).  Details, details.  Still working on the details. 

I found a good reference for calculating the Z (and other associated) parameters.  Studying the math of it.  I don't suppose I could look at the code you settled on for your calculations?

Offline 2x2l

• Contributor
« Reply #1931 on: March 21, 2022, 08:55:08 am »
JoeQSmith:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/labview/select-edition/labview-community-edition.html

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/20/labview-community-edition-usage-details.html

In general, non-commercial and non-industrial references any use case that is not intended to make a profit. The LabVIEW Community Edition is intended for personal projects. Here are some examples:

Home hobbyist projects
Making free, open-source projects or add-ons for the community to reuse
Using LabVIEW to study for an upcoming certification
Using LabVIEW at home to keep skills sharp or try out new ideas outside of work
[/b]

I'm not particularly sure how restricted (if at all) the community edition is, but you certainly do fit at least one of those. 'add-ons for community use'. I'm one of those weird people who reads through the whole EULA, and it doesn't have anything about redistribution of software, but based on what's specifically stricted by the EULA, you're definitely fine on that end. I'd feel safe using it if I were in your position.

But other than that, you should start doing things along the lines of "Marco Reps" but someone with +25 years. The content is technical yet diverse, funny delivery and good content. He manages to make the concept of guarding against current loops on test equipment funny. A feat most people would think impossible. He made his own milling machine and got like 10 videos out of that-- testing different controller setups and things like their acceleration profiles, different ballscrews to see how linear they are, spindles and their run-out, and then finally showing the project & it's performance.

I think he got reliability works down to the mid-nanometers. Sure, Edmunds would build you something with the same numbers but enjoy paying a few million for it. He got way past metal machining numbers, competing with optical numbers (where you break out optical test flats under HeNe(600ish nm?) with eh, 8 interference fringe patterns gets you into the double digit nanometers. (He obviously can't *do* optical because it's not equipped with the necessary spindles, vibration damping, tooling to avoid subsurface fracturing, etc, and he was definitely hitting those numbers against standard cold rolled steel.) 

Wow that went off topic.

Again, for 22000 subs (crazy), you've tested like...them all. Except the Euro version of the UT61E. I forgot where I heard this mentioned, but they're supposed to be hardened up. I think using an actual HRC fuse and some such? If you do test it, and it turns out to be a good buy, PM me 24 hours before you post the video, so I can buy one before the rush hits.

Testing components too would be really interesting. Get a bag of GDTs from different manufacturers, and compare them. Maybe from different lots, and see how much conservative they play with their spec sheet numbers. There are some vendors (TDK? Epcos? Vishay almost certainly..) that have the MOV/PTC in one package and see what they can handle, their failure modes etc. Educational for the community and blowing things up is always fun.

And to test them, maybe design a unit that will meet the official UL test standards.  That'd probably be one of the most interesting series you could possibly do. Have an 8 part series where 10 minutes of the content is the theory injected at arbitrary spots in the dialogue, with the remainder being "most people would do this, but they're idiots: do this instead". Or the famous issue of: One or two people put out an app note, everyone reads that app note, then 20 years down the line people are talking about 45 degrees at DC. "they're idiots, ..." Or just mentioning shit that most people don't really think about. The first chapter of Hall, Hall and McCall did this really well. with dispelling the rumors on where the energy is actually passing through (the dielectric, not ON), along with how the EM fields develop and *why*.   Though I'd be reluctant to walk through something like that on YouTube. Judging by the emails you seem to get...well...

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1932 on: March 21, 2022, 04:13:14 pm »
Hello, I start the test of the program, the graphics line on the monitor screen hare too thick on v.3.
I put some screenshots to see the difference on v.2.08 the line got better definition and better readability on V.3 some go to mixup.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1933 on: March 22, 2022, 12:29:30 pm »
LabView allows you to change the line colors and thickness.   I have added the ability to save the main graphs settings to the defaults file.

The following users thanked this post: realfran

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1934 on: March 22, 2022, 12:46:23 pm »
Hello Joe,
"the LiteVNA.  It's about half the cost and offers a lot more bang for the buck anyway.   I'm surprised that you wouldn't have gone with it."
I asked you which version of the vna's to get.  You said either the original or the v2plus4 would be good for learning.

Perhaps a case of SISO?  You didn't provide a reference.  If you would like less vague answers, learn to ask more detailed questions. 

The following users thanked this post: realfran

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1935 on: March 22, 2022, 08:15:24 pm »
LabView allows you to change the line colors and thickness.   I have added the ability to save the main graphs settings to the defaults file.
Is only one comment for the difference from V.2.08 to V.3.0 for the better readability of V.2.08.
I'm computer illiterate  :D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1936 on: March 26, 2022, 07:41:06 pm »
Comparing a BP filter on my PNA vs the Lite.   Different standards, cables and method were used.   

The following users thanked this post: croma641, hwalker

Offline optotester

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1937 on: March 29, 2022, 05:02:49 pm »
Hello, is that default LiteVNA or with the capacitor mod you mentioned previously ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1938 on: March 30, 2022, 01:19:11 pm »
Unmodified LiteVNA with custom diode dropping USB cable.

Offline ehcurrie

« Reply #1939 on: April 02, 2022, 02:06:19 am »
Sure do wish I knew how to solve this problem... does lvsound2.dll have to b 8) 8)e in a specific location?

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1940 on: April 02, 2022, 08:55:27 am »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 08:57:29 am by realfran »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1941 on: April 02, 2022, 02:22:18 pm »
Sure do wish I knew how to solve this problem... does lvsound2.dll have to b 8) 8)e in a specific location?

This sound DLL seems to be a bit of a bastard child.  Normally, I would expect it to be included as part of the runtime like everything else.  For what ever reason, the sound is a special snowflake.   When building the EXE, LabView places the DLL into the Data directory.  The proper directory structure is shown with Github. 

Again, you need the correct VISA and runtime for it to run and communicate with the VNA.  It's a 64-bit app and tested on Windows 10 only. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 02:27:26 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline ehcurrie

« Reply #1942 on: April 02, 2022, 09:38:46 pm »
I have been using the correct versions of VISA and the Labview-runtime (64bit).  Actually, I have a complete install of LabView. But nontheless, no matter what I have tried in terms of placing the lvsound2.dll I can't get past the program complaining that it can't find the DLL I assume that there is no way to option out the sound support. It's so frustrating to be unable to use the app with a NanoVNA because of sound.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1943 on: April 02, 2022, 10:35:26 pm »
I have been using the correct versions of VISA and the Labview-runtime (64bit).  Actually, I have a complete install of LabView. But nontheless, no matter what I have tried in terms of placing the lvsound2.dll I can't get past the program complaining that it can't find the DLL I assume that there is no way to option out the sound support. It's so frustrating to be unable to use the app with a NanoVNA because of sound.
I haven't seen any problems with the sound posted in the LV forums.  Sadly you decided to chop off the screen shot and have supplied very few clues to what you are doing.   I can replicate the errors you posted but I really have to go out of my way to screw things up. 

Remove the DLL. Launch the program and when it prompts for the location of the DLL, select cancel.  Tell it to continue to load anyway.   It will show an error but force it to run.  I would expect trying to run it this way would be obviously a bad idea but it will reproduce the same results.

If you want to try an solve it, you will need to supply a lot more detail about what you have done.   Otherwise, I would just use the open source program. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 10:53:00 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1944 on: April 02, 2022, 11:09:11 pm »
I tried to grab an older 32-bit version of the DLL and place that into the correct directory.  They have the same name.  I then attempted to load it and it will not prompt for the file location.  The error is still set and when I attempt to force it to run, the software once again shows the same errors.  Of course, no one in their right mind is going to expect my two examples to work.   

Then again, with you having the full blown LV installed, I can believe you tried to run with a DLL you had.  I have no way to know without my crystal ball.

Offline ehcurrie

« Reply #1945 on: April 03, 2022, 07:42:25 pm »
Well here is my experience:

a) Followed the instructions and installed SPI LabView-Runtime (64 Bit)
b) Installed NI-VISA
c) Setup the directory structure as suggested in Github.

Ran NanoNVA_Solver.exe. Selected Run from the top menu ==> Complains about can' t find lvsound32.dll in muliple instances  as indicated in the image file submitted previously.

Then moved to a second windows 10 system and repeated the process and experienced the same results.

Then carried out  a full install of LabView 2021. Same results.

Then tried adding lvsound32.dll to the environment path. Same results.

Put a copy of lvsound32.dll in the same directory that NanoVNA_solver.exe is in, same results.

There should not be any conflict with lvsound.dll because these dlls have different file names.

Now one might reasonably ask what possible motivation could there be to have spent so much time trying to get this to work. The answer is simple. I wanted some of my advanced students to use the tool for their senior projects prior to graduating with a BSEE.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1946 on: April 03, 2022, 08:39:48 pm »
Well here is my experience:
Ran NanoNVA_Solver.exe. Selected Run from the top menu ==> Complains about can' t find lvsound32.dll in muliple instances  as indicated in the image file submitted previously.

Notice that the software is looking for lvsound2.dll, not lvsound32.dll.   

Then moved to a second windows 10 system and repeated the process and experienced the same results.

I'm not surprised.  People often repeat their mistakes. 

Then carried out  a full install of LabView 2021. Same results.

Not sure why but ok.   

Then tried adding lvsound32.dll to the environment path. Same results.

Put a copy of lvsound32.dll in the same directory that NanoVNA_solver.exe is in, same results.

There should not be any conflict with lvsound.dll because these dlls have different file names.

The software is looking for lvsound2.dll  not lvsound32.dll or lvsound.dll.  There are several versions of lvsound2.dll all with the same name.  Based on the symptoms, it seems you are trying to use the wrong one.   

Offline ehcurrie

« Reply #1947 on: April 03, 2022, 10:42:00 pm »
Well unfortunately I made a typo.  I don't think there is a lvsound32.dll. I of course used the lvsound2.dll provided by NI. The lvsound2.dll comes with NI-VISA/SPI LabView-runtime so given that those were explicitly stated as required that doesn't seem likely. It is odd that the app can't find the dll even when it is in the same directory as the application.

Offline E Kafeman

• Regular Contributor
    • AnTune VNA software
« Reply #1948 on: April 04, 2022, 12:03:28 am »
Before compiling the software, check that file pointer for this file is "C:\Program Files xx\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2020\resource\lvsound2.*"
See my attached picture. No need to move around this file, it will automatically be included in basic compilation package and will be located as above.
Have a local copy at any else location can give problem with properties to call a dll function.
If problem with reaching a local version, can it sometimes help to start the software as administrator.
For my own Labview softwares was it more disadvantages then advantages compiling using 64 bit Labview, so I have reverted back to 32 bit.

Check check correct file location when compiling by open "Sound Output Info.vi" in labview search-function as shown below or whatever sound related *.vi file that is used in the software.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 12:18:57 am by E Kafeman »
No signature

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1949 on: April 04, 2022, 12:37:28 am »
For my own Labview softwares was it more disadvantages then advantages compiling using 64 bit Labview, so I have reverted back to 32 bit.
Care to expand on this?   I have not ran into any problems with it yet.  There are a few programs I have yet to port over.     

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf