Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 539510 times)

Offline galileo

• Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1150 on: July 02, 2021, 04:35:01 pm »
Any ideas what the cause of the error with the new firmwares are?
DisLord is quite responsive when it comes to fixing bugs and adding
features, language barrier could be an issue ...

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1151 on: July 02, 2021, 04:39:50 pm »
A post from our friend OWO:

Lower frequencies, possibly. I'm investigating a new technique for getting around the LF limitations of the mixer. If it works out then down to 10kHz could be possible.

I am now laying in a pool of my own drool.   I understand they plan to stay with basically the same protocol as the V2Plus4.  This should make supporting it fairly simple. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1152 on: July 02, 2021, 05:03:47 pm »
Any ideas what the cause of the error with the new firmwares are?
DisLord is quite responsive when it comes to fixing bugs and adding
features, language barrier could be an issue ...

I suspect part of the problem is in these features you mention.  While Rudi's post is looking at audio filters, I would have expected them to use other equipment to run their experiments (sound card for example).  If people interested in audio were the catalyst for pushing the lower frequency limit,  its a shame as it appears to have hurt the NanoVNA's performance.  Of course, there were other problems we have talked about in this thread which were solved a few years back (Thanks to the locals) but it seems were never adopted into the main releases. 

Offline galileo

• Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: July 02, 2021, 09:23:33 pm »
I don't remember many features related to low frequency work, but I will read the posts in
this thread and see what issues others had.
In the meantime I would urge everyone, that has found a bug, to open an issue at: https://github.com/DiSlord/NanoVNA-D/issues
OSS is about user feedback ...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: July 03, 2021, 02:09:30 am »
It may be difficult in some cases to define what's a bug.  In the case extending the lower frequency, I can imagine you would have a group of audio people thinking this was a very smart thing to do and promoting what a great feature it is.  Contrast that to someone attempting to measure very low signals and pushing the hardware for all it has to offer.  Who's right?  Others may desire faster sweep rates while giving up stable data.  Are these design trade offs or bugs? What may help one group may hinder another.  I can only speak from my own perspective.   

Rather than spending time trying to chase down such matters, I just stay with with a two year old version that was good enough to make the device somewhat useful.  For a $50 VNA, with the right firmware, it can throw up some pretty impressive data. 

I do wonder how well Rudi's image actually performs at 1kHz.  Obviously they are happy with the data but I wonder how the it would compare against an instrument designed for lower frequency applications...... 

Shown is Rudi's 1.0.50 image installed into my original NanoVNA with a 50,60 and 70dB attenuator inserted.   What is interesting is when we compare this with the data Rudi had supplied.  Do you think that is really what their filter looks like?   Maybe...

Now lets run that same 70dB attenuator on my vintage HP3589A.

I really question why any effort was placed in pushing the NanoVNA below 10kHz, especially when it is a detriment to the performance above 10kHz.   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:32:57 am by joeqsmith »

Offline rudolf

« Reply #1155 on: July 03, 2021, 09:54:18 am »
> I do wonder how well Rudi's image actually performs at 1kHz.

Hello Joe,
There are 2 parameters I did not mention in my post:
1. The scan bandwidth was 100 Hz.
2. The Audio Filter was designed for 600 Ohm impedance.

The whole story is documented at:
https://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki9/nanoVNA-Applications#WSPR_Audio_Filter

73, Rudi DL5FA

Offline ars_ha3hz

• Contributor
« Reply #1156 on: July 03, 2021, 09:54:58 am »
Hi Joe,

now that I saw an image of 'regression.PNG' in message # 1157 so I wonder exactly what you are testing?
Specifically, what does the test cover? What are you examining and with what characteristics?
So far, the information on this has been so much that it does not pass this test. OK, but what does this test do?
It is not found in published programs, so guesswork remains.
What do you expect from this hardware? Maybe the same expectation as the referenced HP3589A?
I think since the Chinese copied this device and started manufacturing it with some bugs, you have been reading or reviewing information about it ever since.  I understand you also want to use it for crystal filter sorting. If you look at the improvements from the manufacturer or the original developer and the others, you will see that neither is aimed at this. So I would love to read about what your expectations are for you. But not that the frequency command has since been removed from shell commands. This is not true, 'freq' and 'frequencies' are still existing commands and can be easily checked with any terminal prg.
To the best of my knowledge, DiSlord has done and will do a lot in our spare time to make it easier for our users to use.
This includes firmware. The regional '.' use (separating the integer and decimal characters) was discussed in the software created by OneOfEleven and solved the automatic recognition.
No, I'm not asking you to get involved, I just remarked that She did. This makes your program great to use if every step in the process is followed. This is aided by the manual, which users tend to read last when they get stuck in what they think is correct.
Finally, I note that it is a novelty for many of us to measure with VNA.
I’m not even talking about how many options we don’t use or just need it sometimes
Thank you for reading..
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 10:04:58 am by ars_ha3hz »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1157 on: July 03, 2021, 01:40:22 pm »
Hi Joe,

now that I saw an image of 'regression.PNG' in message # 1157 so I wonder exactly what you are testing?
Specifically, what does the test cover? What are you examining and with what characteristics?
So far, the information on this has been so much that it does not pass this test. OK, but what does this test do?

Hello.

First, that was a well written post.   

Its been almost two years since I was actively involved with the firmware.  If you're interested in the background and have no interest in the context,  I would start reading on page 21.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg2732360/#msg2732360

It is not found in published programs, so guesswork remains.

That is correct.  When I decided to release the software to the public, three things needed to happen.  Move to a common code base (make it easier to maintain), document the software (avoid simple questions) and remove features no longer in use (clean it up).    I had been using the Nano over a year by then and I had long stopped chasing firmware.

I would imagine the people working on firmware have their own regression tests they use to insure the quality of the code they put out.  If you're interested in seeing what is being done today, I would start there.

What do you expect from this hardware? Maybe the same expectation as the referenced HP3589A?

The 3589A is limited to 150MHz.  It can perform measure S11 but requires an external coupler.   I use it a fair amount for low frequency work.   I also have a 1970s 8754A.  It supports up to 2.6GHz.  It includes a transfer relay in the test set allowing it to make full 2-port S-parameters. You can't use it for narrow band work.  It drifts a fair amount.  On the low end, they claim it's good for 4MHz.  It has a mechanical interface...   While very crude, I learned most of the basic math from it.   It was replaced it with a vintage Agilent PNA.   Nice unit.  4 receiver, ....  My only complaint with it is the low end is limited to 300kHz.   

My point, I don't own a do all VNA that I would consider a gold standard.  My home lab is more an active historical museum.  Each bit of equipment has it's place.    As I have stated many times, my only expectation for the NanoVNA was to help educate a friend of mine on VNAs.  It has done that job well.    It's $50 and can put out some impressive data in the right hands.   

To make my personal expectations a little clearer,  to use the NanoVNA as an educational tool it actually has to work.  This means the data coming off it should be void of random errors.  The unit should never hang (lockup), especially to the point it requires a power cycle to clear it.  Of course, it should meet what ever the claimed specs are.  The better the data coming off the unit, the more usable it is for experimenting.  Hope that helps answer your questions.

I think since the Chinese copied this device and started manufacturing it with some bugs, you have been reading or reviewing information about it ever since.  I understand you also want to use it for crystal filter sorting. If you look at the improvements from the manufacturer or the original developer and the others, you will see that neither is aimed at this. So I would love to read about what your expectations are for you.

I was asked by a viewer about building a crystal filter.  It wasn't anything I had a need for.  I did put together a simple test fixture and some software that allows measuring them.  That's in the manual, documented in this thread and there is also another thread dedicated to it.   

Had our friend Purpose not been trying to make their own filter using the NanoVNA, I doubt I would have made the software public.  I saw what they were attempting to do and thought some of what I had done may be useful. 

I really had no expectation when putting this software and fixture together.  It was more just a learning exorcise.   While I posted a fair amount of data comparing my test results for the crystals as well as the filters with other means, I was never able to obtain a standard crystal. 

But not that the frequency command has since been removed from shell commands. This is not true, 'freq' and 'frequencies' are still existing commands and can be easily checked with any terminal prg.
I doubt you will find where I stated or wrote that the command was removed from the shell command or the firmware.  What you will find is I stated my software no longer supports it.  This is very much a true statement and has been discussed here. 

To the best of my knowledge, DiSlord has done and will do a lot in our spare time to make it easier for our users to use.   This includes firmware. The regional '.' use (separating the integer and decimal characters) was discussed in the software created by OneOfEleven and solved the automatic recognition.

I have no doubts that various people will continue to make their own changes to the firmware.  That seems to be a very popular thing to do since the NanoVNA became available.  I have little interest in it.

No, I'm not asking you to get involved, I just remarked that She did. This makes your program great to use if every step in the process is followed. This is aided by the manual, which users tend to read last when they get stuck in what they think is correct.
Finally, I note that it is a novelty for many of us to measure with VNA.
I’m not even talking about how many options we don’t use or just need it sometimes
Thank you for reading..

While I have literally had people tell me the NanoVNA is an antenna analyzer, my friend I am attempting to help, has no understanding or interest in radio.  While one radio hobbyists talked about measuring SWR three places beyond the decimal,  we are using the Nano to learn about circuit design.  I suspect that you will find that the features these two people use differ.   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:39:14 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: TheDane, bobinuta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1158 on: July 04, 2021, 01:38:13 am »
Most of the day was spent porting the HP3589A software to use the common code and updating it to include the 2.0 features.  Needs a bit more work but usable.   

Offline bobinuta

« Reply #1159 on: July 04, 2021, 08:53:40 pm »
Dear Mr. Smith,

Please allow me to congratulate you for your impressive work and for the amability to share it to the public!

What's my story, on the short, and why I am writing to you ?
I purchased a nanoVNA_V2 Plus4 in the hope that it would help my old father to measure crystals and to learn to build& tune his own SSB filters.
I already have a VNWA3-E that I used for such tasks, but my father asked me to find a cheaper solution (if possible), as his own "toy" for personal experiments and learning.

So, I ordered a NanoVNA V2 Plus4 on 04/04.2021 and after 73 days, I managed to pick it up (on 17Jun2021).
Before buying the device, I read the disclaimer on the site, the one that OwO quoted there: " the V2 is not suited to very narrowband measurements (coherent bandwidth <1kHz) because of the fast switching of the transmit and receive paths. In practice this only becomes a problem when measuring crystals (does not affect SAW or any other filters) " .

Hmmm... "any other filters"...
Well, now I am *very* dissapointed, because the V2_Plus4 fails to read a classic 10.7 MHz SSB DIY ladder filter (look at my first attached screenshot, where I compared the same filter sweeped with the VNWA3 and with the NanoVNA V2Plus4):

I've been also disappointed to find out that neither VNA-QT or NanoVNA-Saver cannot offer some very useful functions as zooming into the bandwidth of the filter or moving the markers directly with the mouse. So, the only way to "zoom" is to see first a larger characteristic, then establish the new needed limits, make a new sweep setting and finally, a new calibration.
That's horrible, eating a lot of time and nerves.

Finally, I borrowed a NanoVNA V1 (2.8" LCD) from a friend, to see if I may normally sweep an SSB filter with it.

Yesterday, I discovered your excellent software for NanoVNA while I was seeking for alternatives to NanoVNA-saver and VNA-QT.
Until then, I read about 80% of the manual, I installed your software (1.0 and then the latest released binaries) and I started to play with both versions of it, for NanoVNA V1 and also for NanoVNA V2Plus4.

Not long after, I found out that you were right when you mentioned that NanoVNA V1 crashes for longer operating times.
This is a big and frustrating problem. Yes, I know that this is it (firmware/hardware), but I mentioned just for "the record"  :)
V2 Plus4 is performing well, but cannot sweep narrowband devices, that is clear.

However, I encountered a problem while using your very nice software:  after SOLT calibration, the sweep is not working.
The problem occurs with both NanoVNA V1 and V2 Plus4, and I tend to think it's more of an operating error (by my fault). Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Steps:
1) Power on NanoVNA
2) Launching your software
3) Go to "Setup/Diagnostics" -> Select NanoPort (ComX) -> Click on "Link" button (and wait to became green);
4) Check the status form to see link confirmation

5) Check the device LCD and see "USB PC" message
6) Return to "Main" menu of your software and establish the Start & Stop freqs, then the number of sweep points;
7) Start the filter sweep for test, without calibration; check S21 using <Xmsn rectangular>, check S11 using <Reflection Coeff> and check the <Impd Smith> graphs. The sweep is working (except the bad waveform due to the V2 Plus4 narrowband problems):

8 ) Deactivate sweeping, check the <ChnRef> button to be inactive and then starting the SOLT calibration using <2PortCal> button, as you described in the manual, at page 49 /chapter 12.8: SOLT Calibration. Start = 10.69 MHz, Stop = 10.704 MHz, 201 points.
9) Saving the calibration in a distinct, separate file.
10) Starting to sweep -> and see that nothing is happening:

Well, sorry for such a large text, but I don't know what to do, how to debug from this point !
Please give me some help, if possible.

In the hope of your answer, please allow me to wish you all the best and to encourage you to keep the good work on !

Best regards,
Bob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: July 04, 2021, 09:00:32 pm »
 |O |O |O |O |O   :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

There was a pretty major bug in both versions of the software that would cause problems when using third party Touchstone viewers.  For details, please read the attached link.  This problem has been there since I made that video demonstrating how to use the NanoVNA to model a component used in a SPICE simulation. 

Both programs have been corrected and are now available. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/s-parameter-plotting-software/msg3600608/#msg3600608

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: July 04, 2021, 09:40:49 pm »
Bob,

The best work around I have found for the V2Plus4's short comings are to buy the original NanoVNA.  If your dad works below 300MHz (which it sound like he does) that is really the better choice.  Of course, if he is mostly working above 300MHz, that V2Plus4 is really a nice unit. 

I paid under $200 w/ shipping for the two V2Plus VNAs.  Not a bad deal at all considering what they can do.   Go back a few pages and you will find a discussion with the designer about the narrow band.  When I bought mine, I don't think that was on their ad.   

Looks like you are using old software.  0.1 is the initial release and 1.04 is also now fairly old.   

However, I encountered a problem while using your very nice software:  after SOLT calibration, the sweep is not working.
The problem occurs with both NanoVNA V1 and V2 Plus4, and I tend to think it's more of an operating error (by my fault). Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Steps:
1) Power on NanoVNA
2) Launching your software
3) Go to "Setup/Diagnostics" -> Select NanoPort (ComX) -> Click on "Link" button (and wait to became green);
4) Check the status form to see link confirmation

You could save that setup.  Keep in mind though that the new software uses a different defaults file.   

5) Check the device LCD and see "USB PC" message
6) Return to "Main" menu of your software and establish the Start & Stop freqs, then the number of sweep points;
7) Start the filter sweep for test, without calibration; check S21 using <Xmsn rectangular>, check S11 using <Reflection Coeff> and check the <Impd Smith> graphs. The sweep is working (except the bad waveform due to the V2 Plus4 narrowband problems):

So far, sounds normal.

8 ) Deactivate sweeping, check the <ChnRef> button to be inactive and then starting the SOLT calibration using <2PortCal> button, as you described in the manual, at page 49 /chapter 12.8: SOLT Calibration. Start = 10.69 MHz, Stop = 10.704 MHz, 201 points.

Well, (10.704000 - 10.690000) /  201 points is 69.65 Hz per point.   

Keep in mind that this is an engineering tool and not written for the beginner.  You are free set the parameters to anything you like as I assume people know what it is they want to do.   

Well, sorry for such a large text, but I don't know what to do, how to debug from this point !
Please give me some help, if possible.

Load the current software and use some reasonable settings.  Then let me know if you still have problems.  Just as a sanity test, shown with a 12MHz 10-pole crystal filter inserted using interpolation. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: July 04, 2021, 09:57:47 pm »
5 months ago, I made this review of the V2Plus4.  At 9:15 or so in, I talk about the narrow band problems. 

At 45 mins in I show this 12MHz 10-pole filter but more interesting I show a 1GHz interdigital filter being ran on the original NanoVNA, the V2Plus4 and well as my vintage Agilent PNA.   I'm pretty happy with the results I have been able to achieve with all of these low cost VNAs when/if I can find working firmware.   

« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 10:05:16 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #1163 on: July 05, 2021, 04:04:59 am »
I will admit fault for bringing price/performance expectations of 3GHz VNAs to unrealistic and unsustainable levels. Now of course when you have to achieve >90dB dynamic range and work up to many GHz in a under $200 budget, some compromises have to be made, so the architecture of all V2 devices are not suitable for measuring crystals. A quick google for ssb ladder filter shows it's a filter built out of crystals, so it's clear that it can not be measured with a V2. It has been in the documentation and product descriptions since the first time the issue was reported.

VNWA 3E is a good choice if you need to measure crystals and you need something reliable.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: July 05, 2021, 10:24:55 am »
Thanks Joe!

Read more, post less 👍

I just wanted to report that the new upload seems to be working with the V2_2,  - https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software/blob/NanoVNA_V2Plus/NanoVNA_V2Plus_2p03.zip

You are amazing!

Edit - Yes, I have installed the version 0.1 installer program first: https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software/releases/tag/0.10
- sorry, didn't mean to confuse anybody. Github can imho be a hard place to find the 'correct' versions, especially when it branches out
Yes, Joe has an Excellent resource/starting page: https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software 👍
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:27:38 am by TheDane »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: July 05, 2021, 02:48:01 pm »
Thanks Joe!

Read more, post less 👍

I just wanted to report that the new upload seems to be working with the V2_2,  - https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software/blob/NanoVNA_V2Plus/NanoVNA_V2Plus_2p03.zip

You are amazing!

I suspect more than one person has been led astray by using direct links like you have done.   Story goes something like this:   
My buddy put a link to this guys software on their twitbook page and I downloaded it.  I tried to run the EXE but it says I need some runtime engine.  I went to NIs site and downloaded the latest runtime and it still does not work.  Eventually I figured out that the software requires a specific runtime.  I downloaded that and now have the software running but it won't communicate with my device.    

This ends with me getting an email how 1) LabView sucks  2) my software doesn't work   :-DD

If the buddy posted a link to the installer and the story changes to: 
It has all these files that I don't know what to do with  (asks his buddy for help and installs 7-Zip).   

They get the software installed and are proud of themselves for a job well done.  They post a few screen shots to their own twitbook account to show off their accomplishments.   Then they try to talk with their old NanoVNA with it and realize it does not work and I get another email asking for help.   

After so many amateur radio hobbyists wrote me who claimed they did not need support, I'm surprised of the number of simple PC questions from this group that could be avoided if they only took the time to read.   Guessing that reading, memorizing rules and learning some simple code is no longer a requirement for getting a license.     

If you want to post links to the software, please use the main page.   Someone may actually read the first few sentences of the README file and avoid some of the common problems.   

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get your setup working with the latest software.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: July 05, 2021, 03:12:18 pm »
I will admit fault for bringing price/performance expectations of 3GHz VNAs to unrealistic and unsustainable levels. Now of course when you have to achieve >90dB dynamic range and work up to many GHz in a under $200 budget, some compromises have to be made, so the architecture of all V2 devices are not suitable for measuring crystals. A quick google for ssb ladder filter shows it's a filter built out of crystals, so it's clear that it can not be measured with a V2. It has been in the documentation and product descriptions since the first time the issue was reported.

VNWA 3E is a good choice if you need to measure crystals and you need something reliable.

Looks like they want $460 for that VNWA 3E.   Really, to measure crystals my software coupled to the $50 original NanoVNA gets the job done.  You can make a database of your parts, you can even have the software sort the parts for your specific design. 

In your case, the V2Plus4 does a really nice job for experimenting at higher frequencies.  Its some very impressive hardware.   Combined with the original NanoVNA, it would seem to cover most of the RF hobbyists needs. 

Your latest VNA is what I am interested in.   If you manage to pull off the low freq and keep the noise down and dynamic range up, really, what else is out there?    $6600 won't touch the lower frequency.   

https://www.picotech.com/vector-network-analyzer/picovna/picovna-series

You could go with Copper Mountain for over $10k.   Even on the used market, I couldn't find anything decent that covered that range.  This is why I have two different VNAs.   It seems you are really setting a high goal for yourself.   It may not be as popular due to the higher costs but you may find it being used in all new applications.   

20:36 in, testing some crystals with the original NanoVNA and my software. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1167 on: July 05, 2021, 03:34:02 pm »
Pushing the 2-port 120dB 10kHz - 6GHz is there much else beyond the CopperMountain?   If it were not for that $14,000 price tag, I would own one of these for my hobby use.  Think they would sell me one for $500?    :-DD   I want to see that V3 or yours.   

https://coppermountaintech.com/vna/s5065-2-port-6-5-ghz-analyzer/

Offline rf-messkopf

• Regular Contributor
  • Mario H.
    • Homepage
« Reply #1168 on: July 05, 2021, 04:07:49 pm »
Pushing the 2-port 120dB 10kHz - 6GHz is there much else beyond the CopperMountain?

The new Rohde & Schwarz ZNB range of analyzers has 4.5 GHz and 8.5 GHz models that start at 9 kHz. Current used prices range from about 20,000 Euros for a 4.5 GHz two port model. We'll have to wait a couple of years, I think.  :) I have a predecessor model that was discontinued a year ago or so. It is specified down to 300 kHz, but actually starts at 150 kHz.

The problem is to design a reflectometer that goes down to kHz frequencies and is very broadband at the same time (i.e., up into the GHz range). When using a resistive bridge you have to detect the voltage across the bridge, i.e., convert from balanced to unbalanced. Up in the GHz range you will have to use a ferrite balun which puts a lower limit on the frequency range. But if you restrict yourself to a couple of hundred MHz, say, a balanced mixer with Gilbert cell alone will do. I think the original nanoVNA follows that approach. When there are no extreme budget constraints, one could aim at improving that approach (lower noise mixer and IF amplifier, low phase noise synthesizer, better ADC, better shielding and decoupling, etc). Should be doable, but certainly is a lot of work.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: July 05, 2021, 05:25:36 pm »
OWO had tossed out 400-$500 and mentioned dropping the display to help save costs.   For some reason, I have a feeling that people interested in such a device are aware of the costs.  Flipper and I may be the only two customers.    :-DD     They had a sign up, I assume to get some idea on the level of interest.   

https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v3.html

I wondered if there was some sort of override for that old PNA I have that would allow it to run lower but with reduced performance.  I asked in the groups but no response. 

On a side note,  METAS approved my request to use their software.  I have downloaded it along with the documentation and will start going over it.  I provided them the link to the forum for details about my findings and have offered to help. 

Offline bobinuta

« Reply #1170 on: July 05, 2021, 11:18:06 pm »
Good evening Mr. Smith !
The best work around I have found for the V2Plus4's short comings are to buy the original NanoVNA.  If your dad works below 300MHz (which it sound like he does) that is really the better choice. 
Well, I also tested the original NanoVNA too. If you will be so kind to help me to  solve the problem that I've encountered while trying to use your nice software, probably I will buy it for my dad and help him to use your software for sorting xtals and tuning an SSB filter  :)

Looks like you are using old software.  0.1 is the initial release and 1.04 is also now fairly old.
In the screenshot that I posted, yes, was the 1.04. But I tried also with all the other versions, including the last one (2.03), right in this evening.
The problem that I encountered still remain the same  :(

At this point, please let me try to explain the problem again.
- the first step is to be sure that the link with the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 is active;
- then, I return to the Main screen and I set some limits for the sweep. For example, 10.690M-10.704M with 201 points, or as you suggested to me, 11.99475M with a 50KHz span;
- after that, *without calibration*, when I start sweeping, all is working, the sweep is working, the graphs appears (Smith, S11, S21, etc.);
- if I stop the sweep and make calibration with the values that I worked, well... after that, when I'm trying to start again the sweep, it doesn't work, nothing is happening, nothing is moving, nothing is drawed on the graphs. Everything looks as stoned  |O

I would like to mention that I tried also on a separate, fresh installed laptop, with the same results.
I used only Windows 10 Pro (an old version on my desktop, and an updated one on my laptop).
I tried also with different firmware on the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 (the stock one - 20201013 stable, and with the 20210621 experimental).

Well, (10.704000 - 10.690000) /  201 points is 69.65 Hz per point.   
Keep in mind that this is an engineering tool and not written for the beginner. 
You are free set the parameters to anything you like as I assume people know what it is they want to do.
Well, I understand your advice and warning.
Probably, in the case of your software, the same GIGO principle as with LTSpice is working: Garbage In -> Garbage Out.
You are 100% right, but something is missing for me. That's why I'm asking you for help !

Well, you said that a span of 14KHz with 69.65 Hz per point is a wrong setup? If so, why? Please enlight me ...
I tried to use NanoVNA-Saver, with the same settings, and with 69.65Hz/step is working:

Load the current software and use some reasonable settings.  Then let me know if you still have problems.  Just as a sanity test, shown with a 12MHz 10-pole crystal filter inserted using interpolation.
Well, could you explain to me what do you mean by "reasonable settings" ? Here I think I have a problem, please help me understand.  :palm:
I tried your setup, 11.99475M with a 50KHz span and 201 pts. Is working as long as I don't try to calibrate with these settings.
After SOLT calibration, the sweep is not working / not starting.

And as I already mentioned, the problem occurs with both NanoVNA V1 and V2 Plus4; the same problem on desktop PC and on the laptop.
That's why I tend to think that's more of an operating error (by my fault).
Maybe I'm doing something wrong... but I can't understand where I'm wrong !

So please, try to help me to pass this step :)
Believe me, I 100% read the manual and followed the steps described there.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day,
Bob
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:24:16 pm by bobinuta »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1171 on: July 06, 2021, 01:23:52 am »
In the screenshot that I posted, yes, was the 1.04.
Actually, look at your post again.  first was 0.10 then 1.04.   Again, just to be clear, I have told you that the V2Plus4 will not make these measurements.  Odd as I have had a few other people writing me with similar stories.   I think they feel the software some how magically overcomes the hardware limitations.  The feature is there, it must work.   :-DD   What really funny is no amount of documentation, videos, or posts from the designer gets through.  The NanoVNA is now a religion.     

Ok, back to engineering 101. 

At this point, please let me try to explain the problem again.
- the first step is to be sure that the link with the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 is active;
- then, I return to the Main screen and I set some limits for the sweep. For example, 10.690M-10.704M with 201 points, or as you suggested to me, 11.99475M with a 50KHz span;
- after that, *without calibration*, when I start sweeping, all is working, the sweep is working, the graphs appears (Smith, S11, S21, etc.);

I did not suggest that at all.  Instead I wrote:
Load the current software and use some reasonable settings.  Then let me know if you still have problems. 
50,000 / 201 = 248Hz per point.  Seems you didn't understand OWOs response.   But no matter.  I will continue to allow you to bang your head into the wall.   :-DD   The rest makes sense. 

- if I stop the sweep and make calibration with the values that I worked, well... after that, when I'm trying to start again the sweep, it doesn't work, nothing is happening, nothing is moving, nothing is drawed on the graphs. Everything looks as stoned  |O

I would like to mention that I tried also on a separate, fresh installed laptop, with the same results.
I used only Windows 10 Pro (an old version on my desktop, and an updated one on my laptop).
I tried also with different firmware on the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 (the stock one - 20201013 stable, and with the 20210621 experimental).

I am not sure why you would think the PC would have anything to do with it but ok.    Firmware could certainly cause problems but I don't thing that's causing what you are seeing.

Well, I understand your advice and warning.
Probably, in the case of your software, the same GIGO principle as with LTSpice is working: Garbage In -> Garbage Out.
You are 100% right, but something is missing for me. That's why I'm asking you for help !

Yes, GIGO or SISO. 

Well, you said that a span of 14KHz with 69.65 Hz per point is a wrong setup? If so, why? Please enlight me ...
OWO already covered that with you.   

I tried to use NanoVNA-Saver, with the same settings, and with 69.65Hz/step is working:
I am not at all surprised that different software would have different behaviors. 

Well, could you explain to me what do you mean by "reasonable settings" ? Here I think I have a problem, please help me understand.  :palm:
I tried your setup, 11.99475M with a 50KHz span and 201 pts. Is working as long as I don't try to calibrate with these settings.
After SOLT calibration, the sweep is not working / not starting.

And as I already mentioned, the
problem occurs with both NanoVNA V1 and V2 Plus4
; the same problem on desktop PC and on the laptop.
That's why I tend to think that's more of an operating error (by my fault).
Maybe I'm doing something wrong... but I can't understand where I'm wrong !

So please, try to help me to pass this step :)
Believe me, I 100% read the manual and followed the steps described there.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day,
Bob

Odd, as I would expect the original design would have no problem.  I would also suggest that you stop wasting time with the V2Plus4.  I suspect you left out one or two very important details.  I suspect is may have to do with your gold standard software and how it works.   

Attached is a screen shot of my latest software for the original NanoVNA using your settings.  Note that I have ran a full SOLT on it using these same settings.   Shown with the home made 50dB attenuator attached.  There's no magic... It just works as I would expect. 

So, there are two possible answers.  When it appears stoned as you put it, what is the CPU usage?   You have ran so many combos and done your absolute best to muddy the waters so I am not sure if you ran the 1.x software with the original NanoVNA or not.   Again, learn to divide your problems down.  In this case, don't play with every PC, Nano and firmware known.   It's not helpful.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1172 on: July 06, 2021, 12:45:08 pm »
I setup the V2Plus4 and followed the same procedure, using your settings.  Again, full SOLT using your settings.   Shown with the same homemade 50dB attenuator inserted.   My setup appears as expected. 

Obviously you are attempting to measure crystals which again is not going to work but the attenuator should be fine.   

You could try the exact same firmware but the fact you have the same problem with the other software and the original NanoVNA tells me you are leaving out some important detail.

grammar was poor, real poor...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 01:13:57 am by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1173 on: July 07, 2021, 12:42:40 am »
Using the latest software for the original NanoVNA to look at a 10MHz crystal with a 500Hz span.  Full SOLT cal.   

This version is for all of the people outside of the USA who are having trouble with their regional settings.   While I thought the manual was fairly descriptive, it's apparent that reading is no longer a basic life skill.   I plan to dumb down the software for this group  (mostly amateur radio hobbyists BTW).   For what ever reason, this group feels the need to fill my personal email inbox.  The same group that so many told me they could run it without support.  :-DD     

Shown with German regional settings and no INI file.  Some of you have figured out this doesn't pertain to the V2Plus4.   

I would like to sort out bobinuta's problem before I release it in case there actually is a problem with the software.   While we have software that can capture the screen to a video and Youtube allowing the world to view it,  it seems a crystal ball is still required in some cases.  Mine is still out for service waiting on parts that the automotive companies are hording.   So be patient. 

Just a side note.  I have attached the data collected for this same crystal properly measured with the same NanoVNA and cables.   While, as I stated, the VNA was fully calibrated, I am just inserting the crystal between port 1 & 2.   When I started working on the software to make these measurements, I would commonly find people posting how they were measuring the parts this way.  What a difference in the readings....   I wonder which is right. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 01:12:07 am by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: croma641

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: July 07, 2021, 02:05:13 am »

Notice in 8) they turn off the sweep.   They then check the ChnRef (assume Chn-Ref) button to be inactive.  The manual states:  "Select CHn-Ref to disable the normalization.".  This note is there because I assume the reader is not jumping into the middle of the document and following it.  In the previous sections, the VNA was using normalization.

Of course they show 10.704 and the screen shot shows 10.702.  I doubt this has anything to do with it but I assumed it was a typo and used 702.   They set the points to 201.  Again, the port and points should have been stored in the defaults but oh well.  Shouldn't be a problem if you like entering these settings every time.

They then run through the cal.  Notice the never enable the sweeps so the VNA is collecting a whole lot of nothing (which is why the numbers are so out of joint).   They finish up the cal and save it.   Then decide to enable the sweeps.  Odd they felt the need to turn them off.  I just let the thing run all the time. 

Next they state nothing is happening.  Now, I doubt that's the case.  I suspect the software is collecting the data but because they fucked up the calibration by turning off the sweeps, the data shown is worthless.   Of course, the software allows you to view the raw data but I guess they didn't find that feature.

Now did the manual at any point in the section they refer to talk about turning off the sweeps.  Nope.   I wonder if other software requires you to turn them off and this is why they thought it was the right thing to do.   What's odd is I can't see how anyone would think that with the sweeps turned off so the PC is collecting nothing that it would somehow magically have data for the calibration.   

Like the regional settings, I may have to just dumb the whole software down for the radio group.   No amateur left behind.  Time to go check my antennas SWR.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf