Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 526935 times)

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1000 on: May 11, 2021, 12:18:47 am »
what are people doing with crystals that makes them so interesting?

Is it crystal filters?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:20:23 am by coppercone2 »

Online joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1001 on: May 11, 2021, 12:25:50 am »
It should be here this week so hopefully we can start looking at the code again next weekend.

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1002 on: May 11, 2021, 12:30:00 am »
what are people doing with crystals that makes them so interesting?

Is it crystal filters?

In my case, yes.

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1003 on: May 11, 2021, 12:30:52 am »
It should be here this week so hopefully we can start looking at the code again next weekend.

Marvellous.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1004 on: May 11, 2021, 12:33:27 am »
There are countless posts talking about what people have bought.   It's rare to see people like the two of you who are actually experimenting and building something.  Good to see it.     

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #1005 on: May 11, 2021, 01:07:41 am »
well at least the gear will end up on ebay eventually (partially) restored, even if people are just collecting you still get some saves because people don't turn on ancient capacitors, replace swiss filter technology, catch corrosion, save it from the landfill and sometimes offer pictures and information much more useful then old catalogs and manuals

if no one is buying it then its very possible to get it thrown into a e-waste dumpster and reclaimed for scrap

theoretically, even not looking at specifications, there is usually a chinese PCB you can get on ebay that theoretically does the work. practically, its unlikely to make it into even a plastic box with connectors on it to turn it into a usable tool (half of the stuff people claim makes things obsolete is kind of like attaching a saw to a motor body without a gearbox and calling it a useful carpenters tool (it does not even have a handle). but on paper both spin?

also, I expect there is at least some suppression from hardware developers.. those guys selling DC/DC converter minipcbs on ebay.. they don't want you to make your own thing, they wanna take over because its more sales. when they have cheap parts and a big inventory of course the trend will be to discourage people from doing otherwise.

effort required to use it as a test system in acquired state: obscene (who the hell actually can stand using a bunch of circuit boards strewn over a table connected by screw terminals and solder as a 'useful' laboratory. ?)
specification: facilitates blinking of light if you manage to connect it all without breaking something

so that gear has alot of use. its a step up above a shoe box with a bunch of cards. some people can get places with that though. imo its nuts to work like that. I think thats why people are going for it, but then nothing is developed because it 'feels' like you can just buy every simple thing on ebay, so I think people get stuck. feels like a bit of a youtube popularity contest (how many people are getting stuff to try to get followers? how many percent of followers actually know anything?). if you get started like that and then realize your projects are all seemingly out there, the equipment gets frozen. then in that case, just playing antiques road house will get more popularity then doing something with the equipment, because 'i can just buy that board and hook it up look it has these connections on it', the equipment body is kind of like art.. very few people actually understand the utility of the specification

try showing someone a thought out project, the end many times is a graph or number on something, often written on a note pad. then show someone glowy tubes.. whats going to get you props? the social media / marketing aspect that is common in this hobby completely drives some people crazy, but it reduces costs and increases availability. so frustration is inevitable?

plus it helps younger people in electronics careers because sometimes you can get through a non technical hiring manager because they saw something silly about what you are doing. any large company is going to have that problem. if there is some boss somewhere in the building that just happens to collect cool looking standard resistors to put into a display case near the model cars, you are kind of in luck. I once saw a gigantic radio transmitter tube in a hardware store, for no reason. i bet if you knew what it was you can get hired easier if you need money.

but it does clog the forum.. and sometimes stuff you need gets locked up in art prison..

and the electronics industry is just completely nuts because of things like Chinas mail/shipping subsidies (which some say is a part of some kind of economic war). for small and cheap things, the effects of shipping on purchasing can be described as chaotic. i have a feeling small changes in postage price, can already make things weird, and large ones are just ludicrous (not sure if its good or bad). and things like amazon and counterfeits, they reported 2 million listings that were removed just right now..
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 01:48:44 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1006 on: May 15, 2021, 10:22:25 pm »

Marvellous.

They missed their long range projected date and have added another week.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1007 on: May 15, 2021, 11:31:41 pm »
How nice of them. >:(

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: May 21, 2021, 12:00:25 am »
The H4 never arrived and the tracking status hasn't changed. 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1009 on: May 21, 2021, 12:16:37 am »
We'll just have to wait then.
I just lost my hard drive and everything on it, with no back up. :--
Not having a good day either.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1010 on: May 21, 2021, 01:08:53 am »
I would think that once it made it into the country, there would be an update.   Suspect the ship is stuck at the docks or something. 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1011 on: May 21, 2021, 01:19:09 am »
Infuriating as it is, it'll show up.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: May 21, 2021, 01:28:02 am »
I have 3 folders in my email client.

Waiting
Bought
Write-off

When I buy stuff, the acknowledgement email goes into waiting.
As stuff arrive, they go into bought.
When they don't arrive in expected days, I either file a complaint or put it in write-off and forget about it.

The last folder and complaining has amazing hidden feature.  The very next day, the item shows up!

Seriously though, shipping process from China is quite mysterious.  After an email that item is sent, nothing is updated for quite some time.  Then it shows up in shores of US.  Then another nothing for quite a while.  The next step is in my mail box.  I waited for 3 month total once.

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1013 on: May 21, 2021, 02:18:27 am »
The last folder and complaining has amazing hidden feature.  The very next day, the item shows up!

If only.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1014 on: May 22, 2021, 12:23:00 pm »
Looks like the order was cancelled.  I tried to find one on Amazon that was at one of their distribution sites but no luck.  So the H4 is off the table.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1015 on: May 22, 2021, 12:37:03 pm »
No worries.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1016 on: May 22, 2021, 01:18:42 pm »
It seems like this is an opportunity for you to buy yet another low cost VNA to add to your collection.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1017 on: May 23, 2021, 04:22:44 am »
Have you buckled and dipped your toes in the libre pond?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1018 on: May 23, 2021, 02:48:32 pm »
Have you buckled and dipped your toes in the libre pond?
Based on reading the forum, I have no plans at this time to buy one.  I just can't see spending that sort of cash for the privilege of helping to develop it.   I wouldn't be surprised to see a new revision of the hardware.  While searching Amazon for your H4, I saw they have a listing for it.   Are you planning to get one?   

https://www.amazon.com/Analyzer-100KHz-6GHz-Measuring-Parameters-Reference/dp/B092Q6W2Z6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=librevna&qid=1621780836&sr=8-1

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1019 on: May 23, 2021, 03:18:40 pm »
Are you planning to get one?

No, but should everything get ironed out, maybe.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1020 on: May 23, 2021, 04:03:25 pm »
While looking to replace my old 8754A,  I came across the PicoVNA.  I didn't like their software but the specs looked decent.   If you are looking for something low cost, you may want to check them out.

https://www.picotech.com/vector-network-analyzer/picovna/picovna-series

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: May 23, 2021, 09:36:56 pm »
If you are looking for something low cost, you may want to check them out.

As someone who poorly emulates a hobbyist of electronics on the internet, I can barely justify spending $50 on toys, so there's no way I'm splashing out four grand on something that'll get minimal use, whereas the libre could tidy things nicely at the right price.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1022 on: May 23, 2021, 11:30:03 pm »
I would wait then.  Even if the price stayed the same, if they roll out a third revision of the hardware, your into it for over a $1000.   

OWO had mentioned they were working on a 6GHz version as well (if that's what you are after).  Based on the V2+4,  even if they close source the hardware and firmware, as long as they document the interface, I would give it a try. 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1023 on: May 24, 2021, 01:03:31 am »
I would wait then.

I could handle that.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1024 on: May 24, 2021, 10:55:35 pm »
A few people pointed out this version but the pictures appear different that what you show.   I can't see buying something that may not be identical and we end up wasting even more time trying to hunt down some other incompatibility problem.   If you want to try and chase down if this one is indeed the same as yours, I would be up for trying to order another one.   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FD35LRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf