Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 515152 times)

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #850 on: March 26, 2021, 10:15:13 pm »
If you want to make a list of your corrections and post them here, that would be great.   Otherwise, I would need to enable the private message      feature.   Also make a note of any changes you would like to see in the software as you go through it.

It was done within the (r11) pdf, with highlighted text and pop-up notes.
Let me run through the r12 changes and I'll report back.

Peter

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #851 on: March 27, 2021, 03:56:33 pm »
Mr. Smith,
Firstly, the improvements made work well.
The quick tips correspond nicely with the buttons.
The zoom function had a glitch one time, where it got stuck on (I think) 300Hz, but a quick hit on the centering button unstuck it. Hasn't happened since and doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I left it running for several hours gathering data and was still doing so when checked.

So far I've only characterised crystals and the few filters that I have. Not one hiccup.
Other functions will have to wait until I understand the instrument better.

The manual could certainly use the addition of link/s to your youtube videos on the nano.
I've read the manual a few times now, yet when I then watch your vids, a great deal more sinks in.

That's about as much as I can say at the moment, but I'm not going to post the grammar and punctuation errors on here... far too many... cough.

Send me an email with a throwaway address, that way I can send you the pdf and you can still be incognito.

Peter

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #852 on: March 27, 2021, 05:03:54 pm »
The zoom function had a glitch one time, where it got stuck on (I think) 300Hz, but a quick hit on the centering button unstuck it. Hasn't happened since and doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I assume you were running at 10MHz as usual, the software had set the span to 300Hz.   The peak was still visible and centered once it completed but the span was set to 300Hz rather than 500Hz. 

If it happens again, try and supply as much detail as possible and then I'll see if I can address it.  Center frequency, span, is it continuing to hunt or the Zoom completed.

When we did that last round of review on the manual, the had tried to send the file be email but it was too large.   They had set up some MicroSoft shared area but sadly, after changing to Windows 10, I have every IP for MS blocked at the router to prevent them from doing anything to my system while I am trying to work.   This is why I was suggesting if there are a limited number of update, can you just paste them in ASCII from here?   If that would be a lot of work, could you maybe setup a Github or GoogleDocs account and load it there.  Github would be the better solution as the file could be stored without any formatting changes.   If you really want to use email, I think you will need to use the span option to limit the file size.  What a pain....       
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 05:13:51 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #853 on: March 27, 2021, 05:17:51 pm »
I assume you were running at 10MHz as usual, the software had set the span to 300Hz.   The peak was still visible and centered once it completed but the span was set to 300Hz rather than 500Hz. 

If it happens again, try and supply as much detail as possible and then I'll see if I can address it.  Center frequency, span, is it continuing to hunt or the Zoom completed.

The usual 10MHz, yep. What seems to happen (every zoom press) is that it overshoots the 500Hz to an arbitrary number 160Hz/300Hz/400Hz, then back up to 500.

Peter

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #854 on: March 27, 2021, 05:23:33 pm »
I'll sort something.
I gave up my website last week, because the greedy bastards wanted 4 times as much as last year.
Beginning to think I should have paid them.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #855 on: March 27, 2021, 06:01:38 pm »
The usual 10MHz, yep. What seems to happen (every zoom press) is that it overshoots the 500Hz to an arbitrary number 160Hz/300Hz/400Hz, then back up to 500.
It makes sense to change the check so it doesn't overshoot the span but regardless it shouldn't get stuck.  You can try that new version if you like.   I am attempting to get the it to hang right now but not having any luck.  I wonder if I am still just asking too much from the firmware and overran its message buffer.   

I should mention that assuming the crystals are the same, you shouldn't have to zoom in but once for the very first part you characterize.  Of course, I never numbered the steps in section 14.4 so you may not know that.     
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 06:07:11 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #856 on: March 27, 2021, 06:42:16 pm »
It makes sense to change the check so it doesn't overshoot the span but regardless it shouldn't get stuck.  You can try that new version if you like.   I am attempting to get the it to hang right now but not having any luck.  I wonder if I am still just asking too much from the firmware and overran its message buffer.

I should mention that assuming the crystals are the same, you shouldn't have to zoom in but once for the very first part you characterize.  Of course, I never numbered the steps in section 14.4 so you may not know that.   

There's another new version? So there is. Didn't overshoot.
Same crystals and I'm not zooming like a madman.
Numbering is for people that can't count.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:20:56 pm by purpose »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #857 on: March 27, 2021, 07:18:31 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll go over it for the next revision.   At some point, I will also release an update to the V2+ software that rolls all of these changes in as well. 

I wasn't able to get it to hang and would hate to further cripple the software if we don't have to.   Let me know if it continues to be a problem.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #858 on: March 27, 2021, 07:27:07 pm »
Let me know if it continues to be a problem.
It was never a problem. One click and it was gone.

At some point, I will also release an update to the V2+ software that rolls all of these changes in as well.
If they ever re-release the V2 Plus 4 (doesn't look hopeful) I could see that being rather handy.

Cheers
Peter

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #859 on: March 27, 2021, 11:58:16 pm »
One thing that I forgot to mention was that upon start-up and in Xmsn Rect, the phase waveform is displayed without the tick box activated. Ticking and unticking sees the wave gone.
While I'm at it... SetupDiag page, change Responce to Response.

Peter

Feel free to take some time off.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 12:01:52 am by purpose »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #860 on: March 28, 2021, 01:36:18 am »
Done.

LabView is a very powerful tool when it comes to putting together simple test software like this.   It has a feature that allows you to take whatever you have shown as the defaults.  I will often use this feature rather then initialize everything to a known state manually.   In the case of the phase being active, this is what happened.  I had it active and saved it as a default.  You select the checkbox the first time and it does nothing because it is already active.  You press it again and now it turns off.   This is a case where I have added it to the initialize sequence as I can see myself turning it back on and saving it again as the default.    Spelling was also corrected.   

Let me know if it continues to be a problem.
It was never a problem. One click and it was gone.

At some point, I will also release an update to the V2+ software that rolls all of these changes in as well.
If they ever re-release the V2 Plus 4 (doesn't look hopeful) I could see that being rather handy.
If the software is not behaving as expected, I consider it a problem.  In this case you found a workaround that you were happy with but it still should be addressed.

I have not seen anything more on the V2 Plus 4.  I noticed they had ran out of stock of the V2 Plus as well.   I'm glad they sold out and I hope they met their goals.   If they make another batch, I think they should screen some graphics onto the case, at least advertise their company and mark the buttons.   Outside of the lack of narrow band support, that +4 is a really nice unit.   I'm looking forward to seeing them introduce a 6GHz version with narrow band, more data points, faster update rates and wider dynamic range.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #861 on: March 28, 2021, 02:41:49 am »
Sorted.

If the software is not behaving as expected, I consider it a problem.
I fully understand.

Outside of the lack of narrow band support, that +4 is a really nice unit.   I'm looking forward to seeing them introduce a 6GHz version with narrow band, more data points, faster update rates and wider dynamic range.

As you say in your videos, the original is best for narrow band stuff. It's still more than I envisage ever needing, but should I learn how to get the best out of it and find it lacking, then I shall see what you find a worthwhile upgrade.

Many thanks
Peter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #862 on: March 28, 2021, 05:22:32 pm »
Peter, 

First I just want to thank you for taking the time to go over the document and provide feedback for it.  As I go over your comments, the following paragraph sums up my thoughts about the software:

This software can be viewed as an engineering tool at best. Its primary use was to extend the author's understanding of V2+. It was never intended to be used as a general tool for radio hobbyist to tune their antennas. The software is fairly buggy and not very robust. Even under normal conditions, expect to run into several problems if attempting to use this software. It’s a very poor choice for the beginner.
[/i]

Adam Savage showed us that indeed it is possible to polish a turd.    :-DD

A few comments on your feedback

Pg8) Current: The author is not an amateur radio or citizens  band hobbyist.   
Proposed: The author is not an amateur radio enthusiast, or citizens  band hobbyist.   

In general, I don't place one group above the other and consider both to be hobbyists.     

Pg8) Current: Because the software was written for my own personal use, there are many features that may be lacking or have not been completed.
Proposed:  Because the software was written for my own personal use, there are many features that may be lacking or have not been implemented.

I want to make a distinction between features that someone may feel should be included but are not and features that have been included but may not be fully functional.  Changing completed to implemented vs lacking does not make that clear. 

Pg 10) Current:  If we are sweeping from 1.0 to 1MHz, the first sample has an index of 0.
Proposed: Add units to left. 

When using the same units, it is common to leave off the left side.     

Pg 26) Current: Performing a full calibration or selecting standards is not necessary.   
Proposed: Performing a full calibration, or selecting standards is not necessary.   

I'm not sure about as they are both talking about how the software converts raw data into something usable.   With a comma added, MSW will flag it as a grammar warning. 

Pg 71)  Current: The software will try and zoom into the peak and set the span to 500Hz
Proposed:  remove try,  no trying about it

From what I understand the software has a bug and it does not always zoom in.    :-DD  I have removed the word try as suggested but this means the problem needs to be resolved.  Of course, I have covered it in that one paragraph in the Scope where I state:  " The software is fairly buggy and not very robust."  :-DD  It can't get much clearer than that! 

Pg 71)  Current:  Notice without the calibration, the original NanoVNA will display roughly 17dB.
Proposed:  Change the sign.

Interesting.  You know, I don't normally think about such things as I am considering the context.   I would expect and amplifier to have a positive gain (although, it may not) and most everything else to have a loss.  In this particular case because the document is stating what the display should be showing, I think it needs to change as well.   I wouldn't be surprised at all if you found other sections of the document that need this clarification.   

I added links to the Github and YouTube accounts to section 1.

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #863 on: March 28, 2021, 07:16:03 pm »
Mr. Smith,
Adam Savage showed us that indeed it is possible to polish a turd.
There's video...Now I'm going to have to watch it.

Pg8) Current: The author is not an amateur radio
Neither am I. This is what I had a minor problem with.

Changing completed to implemented vs lacking does not make that clear.
I shall consult the Thesaurus.

Should it then not be 0.1 to 1Mhz? As 1.0 is the same as 1 and sweeping was mentioned.

With a comma added, MSW will flag it as a grammar warning.
I took the day off to avoid the English exam.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you found other sections of the document that need this clarification.
I'll certainly run through the next iteration. I seem to learn a little something every time. How odd.

I added links to the Github and YouTube accounts to section 1.
Top job.

Peter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #864 on: March 28, 2021, 09:30:20 pm »
Pg8) Current: The author is not an amateur radio or citizens  band hobbyist.
Proposed: The author is not an amateur radio enthusiast, or citizens  band hobbyist.   
Pg8) Current: The author is not an amateur radio
Neither am I. This is what I had a minor problem with.

I would understand it to mean "The author is not an amateur radio hobbyist or citizens band hobbyist."  I consider both groups to be hobbyists but do not want to use the same word twice in a sentence.  Are there documents known to have been authored by any electronic equipment?  Even if we consider an electric typewriter, we still need the monkeys to write War and Peace.   

Proposing one group being enthusiasts and the other hobbyists, I don't think is valid.   Not to say that if someone obtained their license that they may feel that put them a cut above.  I would consider an enthusiasts as someone from one of these groups who went on to further their education, perhaps becoming degreed engineering professionals. 

Maybe there is a better way to convey it. 

Should it then not be 0.1 to 1Mhz? As 1.0 is the same as 1 and sweeping was mentioned.

:palm:   Now I see the problem.  Yes, 0.1.  We are not sweeping from 1MHz to 1MHz as the document suggests.     :-DD   Strike this one off the list.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #865 on: March 28, 2021, 09:45:38 pm »

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #866 on: March 28, 2021, 10:09:50 pm »
Might I suggest The author is not an amateur radio/citizens band hobbyist. That might cover it.

Now I see the problem.
I knew there was one lurking.

From Google,  I get the following hit:
I've just woken up from a lucid dreamy nap. It'll have to wait until processed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 10:16:11 pm by purpose »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #867 on: March 28, 2021, 10:22:19 pm »
Might I suggest The author is not an amateur radio/citizens band hobbyist. That might cover it.

Often, when a slash is used in a formal or informal text, it is meant to indicate the word or. The examples below illustrate this meaning of the forward slash:

When leaving the classroom, the teacher noticed that a student had left his/her backpack.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/slash/

Personally, I like using or over slash.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #868 on: March 28, 2021, 10:24:57 pm »
Then or it is.

Last punt... The author is neither an amateur radio nor citizens band hobbyist.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 12:46:06 am by purpose »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #869 on: March 29, 2021, 03:23:59 am »
The author is neither a citizens band or amateur radio operator.   

Did you attempt to construct a pull tester yet?   I am interested in hearing what results you come up with if you compare the two methods.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #870 on: March 29, 2021, 07:06:44 am »
The author is neither a citizens band nor amateur radio operator. 

Alternatively.. The author cares not for rubber ducks, phonetic alphabets nor talking to those stranded in Antarctica.
No offence, boys.

Did you attempt to construct a pull tester yet?

I did not.  One pull test oscillator on the way.
Is this the type of thing?
https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/electronic_components/quartz-crystal-xtal/crystal-resonator-frequency-pulling-trimming.php

Peter
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 12:36:08 pm by purpose »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #871 on: March 29, 2021, 02:38:52 pm »
While I thought I had provided the link, here it is:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/fun-with-crystal-filters/msg3036196/#msg3036196

You can also see pictures of the one I constructed from these papers and some of the data I collected.    I would expect the data from your NanoVNA will match up with what I have shown. 

Offline justanothername

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #872 on: March 30, 2021, 02:44:54 pm »
this is a very usable software. The only real problem for me is now, since I have big computer monitors with high resolution, that the charts are very small. I can't make them bigger.
Any plans to make it resizable?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #873 on: March 30, 2021, 05:10:31 pm »
this is a very usable software. The only real problem for me is now, since I have big computer monitors with high resolution, that the charts are very small. I can't make them bigger.
Any plans to make it resizable?

No.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #874 on: March 30, 2021, 11:50:23 pm »
Discovered that the software for the original Nano has a major bug where it doesn't load the defaults file.   By pure luck maybe the comm port settings were the same or  you would have to change it every time.   It's been like this since the first release.    The Plus software was correct.  Strange it never came up.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf