Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 494749 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #625 on: October 23, 2019, 10:42:49 am »
Showing test setup and data from the toggle test.   I am not sure what was going on with the 500 ohm being bimodal towards the end.  It gets a bit of an offset and higher noise.  Maybe something being coupled in from the PC. 

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #626 on: October 23, 2019, 05:23:21 pm »
Showing test setup and data from the toggle test.   I am not sure what was going on with the 500 ohm being bimodal towards the end.  It gets a bit of an offset and higher noise.  Maybe something being coupled in from the PC.

probably this is charge controller from NanoVNA. It is a little noisy and you can notice significant offset when usb charger is connected to NanoVNA.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #627 on: October 24, 2019, 12:05:27 am »
I would expect with it plugged into the USB while running it, if it was low we would have seen it charge early on in the data set, not towards the end.  Still, it's certainly possible. 

What is the thread safe display about? 

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:51:09 am by joeqsmith »

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #628 on: October 24, 2019, 01:30:18 am »
it allows to use display from different threads of NanoVNA firmware. Technically it allows to get screenshot from almost any device state, for example now you can get screenshot with numpad, or version screen. Old firmware doesn't allow that. :)

In addition, these issues related with data modification from different threads are fixed. Now it will not get you garbage if two threads trying to modify the same memory simultaneously. Unfortunately, not all issues are fixed. Actually, original firmware was overcrowded with these thread collision issues. Fix of some issues may leads to slow down PC data transfer due to poor data transfer protocol. I cannot change it, because it will break backward compatibility. So, I leave some issues unfixed in order to support backward compatibility and fast data transfer.

In overall, I feel the whole code needs to be rewritten. Because there are whole black holes full of bugs. For example, try to press joystick for long time on START/STOP menu in the STIMULUS. It will open numerical editor, which currently don't works properly. I have fix, but it pulls a buch of another changes. So, I just shelved these fixes. It will take a lot of time and I'm not sure that I want to spend time on that :)

I feel that I want just to fix major issues and the rest of issues leave as is. Because it already works good enough :)

PS: forgot to say, numpad frequency rounding error is fixed. Now you can enter 123456789 Hz on NanoVNA numpad and it will be exactly 123456789. In old versions it was rounded to 123456792. Annoying bug. But now it works as expected :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:45:53 am by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #629 on: October 24, 2019, 02:31:46 am »
Thanks for the description.  I'm not understanding what you mean by a screen shot.   Are you suggesting there is a way to do screen captures of the Nano from the PC? 

Personally, I think you've done a great job getting it as stable as it is.   My software is fairly simple and doesn't take advantage of most of the new features.  Combined with seldom running it standalone,  this may be why I'm not finding problems with your later versions.       

I would still like to see the Nano scan faster but I don't see it as a major issue.   If you decided to go after it, I would attempt to support it.   

It's funny to hear your concerned with few Hz error.   Having used my old HP VNA, I can't control it anywhere near that.  There's no way to control the start, stop, center or span from the software.  Even from the panel, it's not accurate.   The only thing I can do with the PC is download the data from it.   The Nano being 40 years newer, is far more advanced. 

"transform" command just a console command for DISPLAY => TRANSFORM menu. It enables TDR mode on NanoVNA.
Could you please walk though the steps on how to use it?   
I was missing that real needs to be selected.   
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:15:31 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #630 on: October 26, 2019, 12:58:46 am »
Hello  'radiolistener':
A little over a month ago I installed newer firmware in my NanoVLA per your instructions here -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg2701026/#msg2701026
First of all I would like to thank you again for all the assistance you provided, and I was able to successfully install version 0.1.1.9 firmware, also others below this level.  Although this is where it has stopped for me, as I'm not able to fully install any 0.2.x or 0.3.x versions.  It seems to install, and it reports that it was installed, although when I select the menu, and them select a individual menu item, the whole menu just disappears.  Gonski!  So I'm unable to Cal. the unit, see version info, or do anything else with it.  Although earlier versions, and 0.1.1.9 does works Ok (with a few miner bugs) and of course up to 1.5 GHz.  By the way I had some other issues here that has taken all my time until now, and I have been re-visiting this with no results to date.  I'm still able to go back and reinstall ver. 0.1.1.9 after several failed attempts with newer firmware. 

Do you (or anyone else please) have any thoughts on what could cause this inability to install more recent firmware?  Any suggestions to try wold be appreciated.   Thank you in advance, Ted
Edit - PS: I have been using your method '2) ST-LINK update', and have also tried '1) DFO update'.  Neither works for me with the newer FW.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:10:43 am by ted572 »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #631 on: October 26, 2019, 01:12:16 am »
Try the attached file which clears all memory, then try the latest firmware. Hope it helps.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: ted572

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #632 on: October 26, 2019, 01:33:59 am »
Hello xrunner:
Wow! That did it for me.  Thank you so very much.  I had supposedly previously cleared the firmware area a couple of times thinking that would have possibly helped.  Any way your file did the job.   Thanks, Ted

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #633 on: October 26, 2019, 01:38:40 am »
Cool!

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #634 on: October 26, 2019, 02:08:19 am »
Do you (or anyone else please) have any thoughts on what could cause this inability to install more recent firmware?  Any suggestions to try wold be appreciated.   Thank you in advance, Ted

it looks like you're forgot to clean up settings after update. You can do it with console command

Code: [Select]
clearconfig 1234
Just run PuTTY, select Serial connection and enter COM port name with NanoVNA. Connect and execute this command. It will clean all settings. After that do power off and power on. That's it.

Some peoples doing clean memory with CLEAR.DFU file. But this way is not reliable. Execute clearconfig is more reliable way.

After cleanup, you're needs to do touch calibration, enter to CONFIG menu and select TOUCH CAL. Then check your touch calibration with TOUCH TEST menu. If it works ok, then save this touch calibration with menu SAVE.

After that, just setup frequency range in STIMULUS menu and do usual calibration.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:10:21 am by radiolistener »

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #635 on: October 26, 2019, 09:09:42 am »
it looks like you're forgot to clean up settings after update. You can do it with console command

Code: [Select]
clearconfig 1234

*Manual* reset of data which is made invalid by data-related changes in firmware can be easily avoided. Usually it is done by saving firmware data format version along with data (settings/calibration), comparing it upon startup. When no match - reset automagically, just notify user, or maybe not.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:11:56 am by ogden »

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #636 on: October 26, 2019, 01:14:31 pm »
*Manual* reset of data which is made invalid by data-related changes in firmware can be easily avoided. Usually it is done by saving firmware data format version along with data

it's already present. But it seems that some old firmware had different data structure, but the same version code. I think you're right it will be better to change version for different firmware, even if it uses the same data structure.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #637 on: October 26, 2019, 01:35:56 pm »
it seems that some old firmware had different data structure, but the same version code
You may avoid that mistake by simply introducing new version code disregarding fact that structure is not changed. [edit] Data contents (compatibility) change also shall be versioned, not only structure change.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 03:48:33 pm by ogden »

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #638 on: October 28, 2019, 04:55:21 am »
Thanks radiolistener! I've been following this thread for a while, waiting for my nanoVNA to arrive.
I finally got mine a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to all the information you've shared here I was able to update my nanoVNA to a more recent firmware version!

I was also able to fix the battery indicator by soldering D2 on the board. I have to admit I didn't have the diode specified in the schematics, so I used a thru-hole 5817 that I managed to solder on the pads by clipping and bending the diode legs against its body, similar to a DO-214 package. I figured the only important spec was low Vf, and that's the diode with the lowest forward voltage I had. I'm not 100% sure if it's a good choice for that application, but for the time being it seems to work.

Offline Jacon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #639 on: October 28, 2019, 06:16:04 am »
Hi battlecoder,

You should subscribe to this board ASAP:

https://groups.io/g/nanovna-users

It's really the main place of info, help & devel works for this marvelous unit  :)

The following users thanked this post: battlecoder

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #640 on: October 29, 2019, 11:57:26 am »
The NanoVNA menu can be like working in the dark searching for where to go next.  That is until you get used to it, and appreciate it’s features and very easy operation.  So for a kick start and a reminder, I made this PDF Table of the Menu Options in the NanoVNA with Firmware (edy555) 0.3.1 (the latest). Please let me know if you find any errors or missing info.

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker

Offline Jacon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #641 on: October 29, 2019, 05:34:26 pm »
...  So for a kick start and a reminder, I made this PDF Table of the Menu Options in the NanoVNA with Firmware (edy555) 0.3.1 (the latest). Please let me know if you find any errors or missing info.

This, IMHO, is the most actual, accurate & convenient Menu info page:
https://oristopo.github.io/nVhelp/html/Menu.htm

Oristo prepared quite comprehensive docu page also:
https://oristopo.github.io/nVhelp/html/nVhelp.htm#U0

Offline bradley1evblog

« Reply #642 on: November 16, 2019, 12:00:58 pm »
Hello Joe, I'm new to the nanovna but delighted with the product. I'm trying to find your Nano Custom Software (for a pc) as shown in your video .... is it available for download anywhere?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #643 on: November 16, 2019, 07:20:39 pm »
Hello Joe, I'm new to the nanovna but delighted with the product. I'm trying to find your Nano Custom Software (for a pc) as shown in your video .... is it available for download anywhere?

Bradley,  while I have not released my software there are a few open source projects being worked on that may work well for you.  I can't say I have personally tried any of them but I suspect they are much closer to what you would want from a software interface than what I put together for doing my own evaluation of the Nano.   

As I have stated a few times, mine is really more of an engineering research tool than anything.  It supports some hardware to run specific tests that the average user is not going to have access to.   It's also become a lot more complex over time and I have yet to put any sort of manual together for it. 

I was going to make one last video showing some of the latest features and maybe provide some additional ideas to those creating the open source code but I lost interest in the project.   If you find that the open source projects are lacking in some way, I suggest you politely ask the authors and see if they will support you. 

Enjoy your Nano.   It is a pretty nice device, especially at the $50 price.   

Offline pa3hfu

• Contributor
« Reply #644 on: November 29, 2019, 04:52:48 pm »
I installed VNASaver on my iMac. Installation was succesful. But when I connect my unit by USB and click connect to NANOVNA I get this failure:

MacMini-I:.config mathieuverhorst$ cd nanovnasaver
MacMini-I:nanovnasaver mathieuverhorst$ nanovnasaver
NanoVNASaver 0.2.0
Copyright (C) 2019 Rune B. Broberg
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This program is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3
See https://github.com/mihtjel/nanovna-saver for further details
Settings: /Users/mathieuverhorst/.config/NanoVNASaver/NanoVNASaver.ini
2019-11-28 11:40:42,308 - NanoVNASaver.NanoVNASaver - ERROR - Tried to open  and failed: [Errno 2] could not open port : [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ''

What can be wrong?
If I cannot connect to my Mac, I even cannot update my VNA-f in the future...
Thanks in advance again!!

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #645 on: November 29, 2019, 10:38:18 pm »
pa3hfu, I'm not sure if NanoVNA-F is compatible with NanoVNA-SAVER, but your error looks like you have issue with port name. It may be related with missing driver or bad USB connection.

Offline pa3hfu

• Contributor
« Reply #646 on: November 30, 2019, 05:40:11 pm »
Thanks RadioListener,  It was a bad USB connection. Another cable ==> succes!!  :D

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #647 on: December 07, 2019, 02:10:33 am »
RF Demo Kit - NanoVNA Test Networks Data
The following PDF provides information on the RF Demo Kit manufactured by SYSJOINT.CON, EEPELEC.COM, etc. This document describes the required VNA settings (of course not just the NanoVNA) to duplicate the response cures depicted on the unit's PCB for each RF circuit.
Edit: Without this type of information the RF Demon Kit is of very little value, if any for a novice.  Although with it you can verify that your VNA (any type/model) is working properly, and the RF Demo Kit then can also assist with learning how to use a VNA for measuring low value LC (i.e. uH, pF) components, use of a Smith Chart, etc, in addition to simply Antenna SWR.
Note: I’m not affiliated with any eBay seller of the RF Demo Kit, and in fact I held off posting this for a month or so because I didn’t want them to use this info to sell their product. But I caved and decided to share it with other users that may be interested. Although this is not rocket science, and anyone with a VNA could have done this very easily.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:55:00 pm by ted572 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Wall-E, _Wim_, krho, Grandchuck, Technix sys

• Super Contributor
« Reply #648 on: January 25, 2020, 05:56:20 pm »
Just an update.

I've had a few people ask me about how the Nano compares with other VNAs.  I will ask for specifics but it seems to be a more general question in general.  I think the last person asked about reliability and I responded that I had the Nano for a few months but my old 8754A has spanned five decades now and still running.  (with the original capacitors BTW lol) 

I see where there continues to be an effort to produce a 3GHz pocket VNA that doesn't use harmonics.  If they come up with a product, I plan to have a look.   

Playing with the Nano may end up costing me a chunk of change as it's rekindled my interest in replacing my old VNA.  I am reading up on the more common instruments available today.       

I was thinking that I may do some sort of video that compares these four systems.   Obviously reliability can't be a metric but if you have something you would like to see, feel free to chime in. 

A few things off the top of my head are noise, cost, features, noise, stability, accuracy, noise, dynamic range, ease of interfacing it with a PC, noise and sweep rates.   I may do something with noise while I am at it.   

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #649 on: January 25, 2020, 06:52:13 pm »
Main difference between two: 8754A is instrument with certain and defined accuracy, NanoVNA is "low cost tool". Latter is more like pocket DMM which BTW is sold w/o proper enclosure, another - benchtop multimeter with (possibly valid) calibration sticker on it. Both have their use.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf