Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 496409 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1150 on: June 30, 2021, 09:57:57 pm »
So this is crazy:
I attached it to Joes software 2.0 and 2.02 and there are no errors and the green light is on and it calibrates and it sets the start and stop frequencies correctly even in segmented sweep but it never displays any curve in any of all the main windows graphs nor in the advanced bode graph.
(with this version curiously the standalone device as well as with Joes Software only supports down to 50kHz.)

Seems rather obvious.  You are not from this country and changed your PCs regional settings to use the comma.   I suspect no problem other than failing to read the manual.   It's a common problem.   If it's not this and you feel there is a problem with my software, you need to provide more detail.   

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1151 on: July 01, 2021, 06:08:21 am »
I am on your side!
 I suspect my error in this area.
But what I have tested already:
I placed the nanovna.ini into the same directory like your *.exe
First I gave it the full content:

[NanoVNA]
server.app.propertiesEnabled=True
server.ole.enabled=True
server.tcp.paranoid=True
server.tcp.serviceName="My Computer/VI Server"
server.vi.callsEnabled=True
server.vi.propertiesEnabled=True
WebServer.TcpAccess="c+*"
WebServer.ViAccess="+*"
DebugServerEnabled=False
DebugServerWaitOnLaunch=False
useLocaleDecimalPt=False

Later I deleted all except the last line.

That both did not help....
There may be sometimes more lines different from "NaN +NaN!" sometimes less.
If I switch to "Xman rectangular" and both channels are read there is only "NaN +NaN!" left.

Next I will try to switch the regional setting in windows10 .

Besides this: Why did everything worked some days ago with the V2plus4 combined with the dedicated software V1p04 without nanovna.ini ?

Although sometimes it may sound like I/someone is blaming your software, I never would!!! This is provided free of charge and created with your private time as a hobby, which deserves my full respect and I just hope to get some guidance to fix the problem...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 07:24:42 am by Knuddel »

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1152 on: July 01, 2021, 07:06:38 am »
With the V2plus4 still everything is fine with both the V1p04 and V2p01
Thanks again for this extraordinary software!
When I observe the raw data in the V2plus4 software both versions there is always a comma separator displayed in the raw data window independent from the existance of the nanovna.ini.

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: July 01, 2021, 07:55:36 am »
With the "original" Nano I switched the regional settings to decimal point and now the Raw Data Display displays this.
With the old calibration done with comma again no graph was displayed and there are mostly "NaN +NaN!" (picture attached)
Then with a new calibration with the decimal point selected in the windows regional settings everything is fine. Yeah!!!

So finally there is these questions left:
Why is the V2plus4 working in any case even without the nanovna.ini and with a comma selected in the regional settings ?
Why is the original Nano not working with the nanovna.ini in my case and needs to have the regional settings switched to deciamal point?
In which directory is the software searching for the INI-file?

Just as a footnote: Normally in Germany they use the decimal point to separate but I had to switch it for some Rigol or Keysight measurement software some month ago.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:20:49 am by Knuddel »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: July 01, 2021, 01:11:08 pm »
When I observe the raw data in the V2plus4 software both versions there is always a comma separator displayed in the raw data window independent from the existance of the nanovna.ini.
From the manual,  LabView changes how the comma is handled when talking to external peripherals depending how the INI is set.   The INI does not effect how the data is presented on the display.   

I would have no way of knowing what you are doing. Every detail is important.  For all I know you may feel that the 1.x and 2.x software shares the same calibration file format and are trying to use a 1.x cal with the 2.x software.  I would have to guess as my crystal ball is out for service.  Every detail matters.  You may feel that firmware for the same hardware should use the same calibration. 

For the original NanoVNA
If you read the posts in this forum, you know that DisLord was attempting to add a feature to the firmware to handle the comma.  Does other firmware handle the comma differently?   I have no desire to look into it.  There is a reason I had settled on a version of firmware I use.  Of course, if you took the time to read the posts here, you saw the whole first and second discussion about the regional settings.   You are experimenting with the latest firmware available for your original NanoVNA, which I have said had problems and also why I abandoned them.   

Why is the V2plus4 working in any case even without the nanovna.ini and with a comma selected in the regional settings ?
Let's assume you took the time to read the documentation they published for it.  So you know that the V2Plus is using a completely different protocol and where the original NanoVNA uses ASCII, the V2Plus uses?  Are the decimal and comma ASCII characters?   This should have been obvious.

To sum it all up,

Read more, post less. 

Create new calibration files for the software/firmware/hardware/cables/standards you are using at the time.   

If you are trying to solve problems like this, don't make your problem even more complex by adding more variables like calibration.  Learn to simplify your  problems.   If possible, learn to split the problem.  In your example with the original NanoVNA, while you left out the fact you had changed your regional settings, it was pretty obvious you had.  You could have used the default regional settings and standard INI (or no INI) and see if the problem went away. This is what I mean by cutting a problem in half.   

If you can't solve your problem, detail every step so someone else can reproduce your findings.   

If you like playing with the firmware of the week, expect to run into problems. 

If you use one of the regional settings that supports the comma, add the useLocaleDecimalPt=False to the INI file.   If you use the decimal, then leave this line out.   
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 01:15:01 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1155 on: July 02, 2021, 12:06:54 am »
The following was posted on:
https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2/topic/vna_shootout/83798959?p=Created,,,20,1,20,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,83798959

This is in reference to the previous testing I had performed with DisLords firmware.   

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 01:50 PM, Joe Smith wrote:

The firmware I use with the original NanoVNA supports 10kHz but once we get below 20kHz, the noise gets pretty bad.

Hello Joe,
I have measured with the basic nanoVNA and DiSlord firmware 1.0.50, 100 Hz bandwidth,
down to 1 kHz with low noise, see the screenshot below.
More details can be found at:
https://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki9/nanoVNA-Applications#WSPR_Audio_Filter

Hello Rudi,
If you feel that 1.0.50 is the hot ticket, post a link to the image and I will gladly give it a run.

Hello Joe,
There are newer versions from DiSlord (1.0.64) but I will append the version 1.0.50
for the nanoVNA, which I used for the audio filter measurement.
73, Rudi DL5FA

Attached is the firmware and graph Rudi supplied.   

Consider this post sticky.  I'll add to it.
Converted Rudi's DFU image to HEX and attached.  I installed it on the original NanoVNA and ran the regression test.   This will take a few hours to run.  The 10kHz test fails as we would expect as this version will run lower than that. 
Rudi's graph swept a filter from 1k to 20kHz.  While it would be difficult to tell much with this example starting at -20, we can see it dips to about -70 at 10KHz. 

To evaluate the difference in the firmware, I plan to run two sweep ranges.  10k-50kHz and 10k-1MHz.  This will be done using the same VNA, cables, cal standards and loads.   My interested in the lower frequencies is for making PDN measurements and not audio filters.  The demands for the Nano are much worse.   I will use the resistive standards we came up with and we will be using the shunt thru method using one of the home made common mode transformers.
Should mention that the regression tests failed at the standard deviation exceeded the cutoff but I plan to proceed with the testing anyway. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 02:29:09 am by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1156 on: July 02, 2021, 02:36:12 am »
Sweeping 10kHz to 1MHz with the 1mOhm standard inserted.  Shown with firmware I use from 2019 compared with the image Rudi supplied and my old HP3589A.

I am not sure what is more interesting.  How much of a problem the 1.0.50 firmware has, or how well the $50 VNA tracks my vintage HP.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1157 on: July 02, 2021, 02:40:12 am »
From my previous tests, we know the limit of the NanoVNA is about 1mOhm depending on the time of day and wind direction.  Here I have gone ahead and inserted the 100uOhm standard, again with a 10kHz to 1MHz sweep range.    It appears we gave up about 10dB with the 1.0.50 firmware. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1158 on: July 02, 2021, 02:47:58 am »
Sadly, AppCAD can't handle the uneven frequency steps when I use my poor mans quasi log sweep.   If we are wanting to look at the regulators stability, most of the excitement is going to be at the lower frequencies.   To get a better idea how the firmware effects the noise, I have changed the sweep range to 10kHz to 50kHz to give us a little better resolution. 

Showing the 1mOhm standard.    Notice how the firmware from 2019 has a higher noise level as we start to go below 20kHz.  This is what I had mentioned in the video.   You can run it lower but be aware of the error.  But check out once we get beyond 20KHz.  It tracks very close to the vintage HP.   The 1.0.50... well you can see for yourself.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1159 on: July 02, 2021, 02:54:00 am »
Of course, we have to run the 100uOhm in this same range.    And what do you know, it does what we expect. 

Those of you following this thread may be looking at the HP's -100dB and ask, how did I measure that 100uOhm resistor.   Well, as you can see, that old HP is just not up to the task and my Agilent VNA while it has higher performance, sadly it will not run down this low.  The only way I have to measure it is with the Signal Hound.  That's one of the few newer bits of equipment I own and I really like it.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: July 02, 2021, 03:06:02 am »
Of course, I can use my software to run a quasi log sweep and then use it to overlay the data.   

I have reloaded my NanoVNA with the old image and plan to stay with it.   Again, I had mentioned the regression test and how the new firmware fails the standard deviation.  The noise isn't only bad at these lower frequencies.   Of course, if you need to actually measure down here like I have been attempting to do, I think you will need to spend more than $50.    I had asked OWO if they would consider supporting lower frequencies than 100kHz.   They are talking 120dB dynamic range and so far, they are not discludeing the lower bands.  Full two ports, and they claim it's fast, real fast.   They already have posted that they have considered the narrow band measurements this time around.   I'm starting to salivate...   :-DD

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: July 02, 2021, 06:52:30 am »
Please, can you attach your old golden firmware image?
I'm still confused which one it is even if I read the whole thread again!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: July 02, 2021, 09:05:41 am »
Please, can you attach your old golden firmware image?
I'm still confused which one it is even if I read the whole thread again!

Odd as I had specifically written you the other day about this in an attempt to help you get started. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3594970/#msg3594970

In case you still can't find it, please see the attached.   I suspect you are going to have a lot of problems trying to make use the software.  Again, it's certainly not for the beginner.   It's an engineering tool at best and will require you to spend time reading and doing your own research. 

I think back when I created that first video and how many people were whining about me not releasing it.  It was very common for people to suggest they would not need support.   :-DD :-DD  Back then the software wasn't as stable and there was no manual.  Now it's a few years old and runs well enough that I use it, and for those wanting to try it, there's a few hundred page manual to tell them how. 

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1163 on: July 02, 2021, 10:04:34 am »
 :palm: Found! :-+

Just a question regarding the CMT:

Is it worth it to try this toride from digi-key:

2258-T60006L2050W565-ND‎ 
399-19161-ND
399-ESD-R-57S-ND

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: July 02, 2021, 02:20:27 pm »
Is it worth it to try this toride from digi-key:

2258-T60006L2050W565-ND‎ 
399-19161-ND
399-ESD-R-57S-ND

If your goal is to meet or improve on the Picotest transformer, then I would just suggest buying one.   If you don't need the wide bandwidth,  Omicron offers one that costs much less.   

If your goal is to learn about material selection and winding techniques, I think anything is fine.   You should be able to use the VNA to compare the data sheets with the data you collect.  I could see this exorcise being helpful.   From your posts, it seems you are just starting out.  I suggest not spending anything.   Again, I would just go to the local scrap yards and see what you can turn up.  You don't need to know what the cores are to learn something.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: July 02, 2021, 02:43:56 pm »
There was some discussion on material selection not too long ago.  Based on your part numbers, I suggest you take the time to read what was posted.  It may save you some time and money.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/impedance-measurement-with-vna-using-series-shuntseries-through-methods/msg3564573/#msg3564573

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: July 02, 2021, 03:26:10 pm »
While running that last little experiment for Rudi,  I needed to add support to save the larger segmented datasets to Toushstone format to allow me to compare it with the old HP.   Of course it doesn't address the fact that AppCAD can't handle the quasi log data.  I may add my own data viewer later on as AppCAD had problems with different data set sizes as well.   The software has an import for single port Touchstone files but it is very limited. 

Anyway both programs have been updated and are now available. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 03:28:00 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline galileo

• Contributor
« Reply #1167 on: July 02, 2021, 04:35:01 pm »
Any ideas what the cause of the error with the new firmwares are?
DisLord is quite responsive when it comes to fixing bugs and adding
features, language barrier could be an issue ...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1168 on: July 02, 2021, 04:39:50 pm »
A post from our friend OWO:

Lower frequencies, possibly. I'm investigating a new technique for getting around the LF limitations of the mixer. If it works out then down to 10kHz could be possible.

I am now laying in a pool of my own drool.   I understand they plan to stay with basically the same protocol as the V2Plus4.  This should make supporting it fairly simple. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: July 02, 2021, 05:03:47 pm »
Any ideas what the cause of the error with the new firmwares are?
DisLord is quite responsive when it comes to fixing bugs and adding
features, language barrier could be an issue ...

I suspect part of the problem is in these features you mention.  While Rudi's post is looking at audio filters, I would have expected them to use other equipment to run their experiments (sound card for example).  If people interested in audio were the catalyst for pushing the lower frequency limit,  its a shame as it appears to have hurt the NanoVNA's performance.  Of course, there were other problems we have talked about in this thread which were solved a few years back (Thanks to the locals) but it seems were never adopted into the main releases. 

Offline galileo

• Contributor
« Reply #1170 on: July 02, 2021, 09:23:33 pm »
I don't remember many features related to low frequency work, but I will read the posts in
this thread and see what issues others had.
In the meantime I would urge everyone, that has found a bug, to open an issue at: https://github.com/DiSlord/NanoVNA-D/issues
OSS is about user feedback ...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1171 on: July 03, 2021, 02:09:30 am »
It may be difficult in some cases to define what's a bug.  In the case extending the lower frequency, I can imagine you would have a group of audio people thinking this was a very smart thing to do and promoting what a great feature it is.  Contrast that to someone attempting to measure very low signals and pushing the hardware for all it has to offer.  Who's right?  Others may desire faster sweep rates while giving up stable data.  Are these design trade offs or bugs? What may help one group may hinder another.  I can only speak from my own perspective.   

Rather than spending time trying to chase down such matters, I just stay with with a two year old version that was good enough to make the device somewhat useful.  For a $50 VNA, with the right firmware, it can throw up some pretty impressive data. 

I do wonder how well Rudi's image actually performs at 1kHz.  Obviously they are happy with the data but I wonder how the it would compare against an instrument designed for lower frequency applications...... 

Shown is Rudi's 1.0.50 image installed into my original NanoVNA with a 50,60 and 70dB attenuator inserted.   What is interesting is when we compare this with the data Rudi had supplied.  Do you think that is really what their filter looks like?   Maybe...

Now lets run that same 70dB attenuator on my vintage HP3589A.

I really question why any effort was placed in pushing the NanoVNA below 10kHz, especially when it is a detriment to the performance above 10kHz.   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:32:57 am by joeqsmith »

Offline rudolf

« Reply #1172 on: July 03, 2021, 09:54:18 am »
> I do wonder how well Rudi's image actually performs at 1kHz.

Hello Joe,
There are 2 parameters I did not mention in my post:
1. The scan bandwidth was 100 Hz.
2. The Audio Filter was designed for 600 Ohm impedance.

The whole story is documented at:
https://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki9/nanoVNA-Applications#WSPR_Audio_Filter

73, Rudi DL5FA

Offline ars_ha3hz

• Contributor
« Reply #1173 on: July 03, 2021, 09:54:58 am »
Hi Joe,

now that I saw an image of 'regression.PNG' in message # 1157 so I wonder exactly what you are testing?
Specifically, what does the test cover? What are you examining and with what characteristics?
So far, the information on this has been so much that it does not pass this test. OK, but what does this test do?
It is not found in published programs, so guesswork remains.
What do you expect from this hardware? Maybe the same expectation as the referenced HP3589A?
I think since the Chinese copied this device and started manufacturing it with some bugs, you have been reading or reviewing information about it ever since.  I understand you also want to use it for crystal filter sorting. If you look at the improvements from the manufacturer or the original developer and the others, you will see that neither is aimed at this. So I would love to read about what your expectations are for you. But not that the frequency command has since been removed from shell commands. This is not true, 'freq' and 'frequencies' are still existing commands and can be easily checked with any terminal prg.
To the best of my knowledge, DiSlord has done and will do a lot in our spare time to make it easier for our users to use.
This includes firmware. The regional '.' use (separating the integer and decimal characters) was discussed in the software created by OneOfEleven and solved the automatic recognition.
No, I'm not asking you to get involved, I just remarked that She did. This makes your program great to use if every step in the process is followed. This is aided by the manual, which users tend to read last when they get stuck in what they think is correct.
Finally, I note that it is a novelty for many of us to measure with VNA.
I’m not even talking about how many options we don’t use or just need it sometimes
Thank you for reading..
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 10:04:58 am by ars_ha3hz »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: July 03, 2021, 01:40:22 pm »
Hi Joe,

now that I saw an image of 'regression.PNG' in message # 1157 so I wonder exactly what you are testing?
Specifically, what does the test cover? What are you examining and with what characteristics?
So far, the information on this has been so much that it does not pass this test. OK, but what does this test do?

Hello.

First, that was a well written post.   

Its been almost two years since I was actively involved with the firmware.  If you're interested in the background and have no interest in the context,  I would start reading on page 21.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg2732360/#msg2732360

It is not found in published programs, so guesswork remains.

That is correct.  When I decided to release the software to the public, three things needed to happen.  Move to a common code base (make it easier to maintain), document the software (avoid simple questions) and remove features no longer in use (clean it up).    I had been using the Nano over a year by then and I had long stopped chasing firmware.

I would imagine the people working on firmware have their own regression tests they use to insure the quality of the code they put out.  If you're interested in seeing what is being done today, I would start there.

What do you expect from this hardware? Maybe the same expectation as the referenced HP3589A?

The 3589A is limited to 150MHz.  It can perform measure S11 but requires an external coupler.   I use it a fair amount for low frequency work.   I also have a 1970s 8754A.  It supports up to 2.6GHz.  It includes a transfer relay in the test set allowing it to make full 2-port S-parameters. You can't use it for narrow band work.  It drifts a fair amount.  On the low end, they claim it's good for 4MHz.  It has a mechanical interface...   While very crude, I learned most of the basic math from it.   It was replaced it with a vintage Agilent PNA.   Nice unit.  4 receiver, ....  My only complaint with it is the low end is limited to 300kHz.   

My point, I don't own a do all VNA that I would consider a gold standard.  My home lab is more an active historical museum.  Each bit of equipment has it's place.    As I have stated many times, my only expectation for the NanoVNA was to help educate a friend of mine on VNAs.  It has done that job well.    It's $50 and can put out some impressive data in the right hands.   

To make my personal expectations a little clearer,  to use the NanoVNA as an educational tool it actually has to work.  This means the data coming off it should be void of random errors.  The unit should never hang (lockup), especially to the point it requires a power cycle to clear it.  Of course, it should meet what ever the claimed specs are.  The better the data coming off the unit, the more usable it is for experimenting.  Hope that helps answer your questions.

I think since the Chinese copied this device and started manufacturing it with some bugs, you have been reading or reviewing information about it ever since.  I understand you also want to use it for crystal filter sorting. If you look at the improvements from the manufacturer or the original developer and the others, you will see that neither is aimed at this. So I would love to read about what your expectations are for you.

I was asked by a viewer about building a crystal filter.  It wasn't anything I had a need for.  I did put together a simple test fixture and some software that allows measuring them.  That's in the manual, documented in this thread and there is also another thread dedicated to it.   

Had our friend Purpose not been trying to make their own filter using the NanoVNA, I doubt I would have made the software public.  I saw what they were attempting to do and thought some of what I had done may be useful. 

I really had no expectation when putting this software and fixture together.  It was more just a learning exorcise.   While I posted a fair amount of data comparing my test results for the crystals as well as the filters with other means, I was never able to obtain a standard crystal. 

But not that the frequency command has since been removed from shell commands. This is not true, 'freq' and 'frequencies' are still existing commands and can be easily checked with any terminal prg.
I doubt you will find where I stated or wrote that the command was removed from the shell command or the firmware.  What you will find is I stated my software no longer supports it.  This is very much a true statement and has been discussed here. 

To the best of my knowledge, DiSlord has done and will do a lot in our spare time to make it easier for our users to use.   This includes firmware. The regional '.' use (separating the integer and decimal characters) was discussed in the software created by OneOfEleven and solved the automatic recognition.

I have no doubts that various people will continue to make their own changes to the firmware.  That seems to be a very popular thing to do since the NanoVNA became available.  I have little interest in it.

No, I'm not asking you to get involved, I just remarked that She did. This makes your program great to use if every step in the process is followed. This is aided by the manual, which users tend to read last when they get stuck in what they think is correct.
Finally, I note that it is a novelty for many of us to measure with VNA.
I’m not even talking about how many options we don’t use or just need it sometimes
Thank you for reading..

While I have literally had people tell me the NanoVNA is an antenna analyzer, my friend I am attempting to help, has no understanding or interest in radio.  While one radio hobbyists talked about measuring SWR three places beyond the decimal,  we are using the Nano to learn about circuit design.  I suspect that you will find that the features these two people use differ.   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:39:14 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: TheDane, bobinuta

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf