Author Topic: Experimenting with waveguides using the LiteVNA  (Read 78546 times)

Online joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Experimenting with waveguides using the LiteVNA
« Reply #500 on: July 11, 2024, 11:26:27 pm »
Part 5, a touch of quantum physics and demonstration of a homemade Electron Paramagnetic Resonance (EPR) spectrometer.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #501 on: July 31, 2024, 06:00:33 pm »
The link is to a paper on capacitive vs inductive iris coupling to a cavity resonator.  It describes the pros and cons of each.   My homemade EPR spectrometer is using an inductive iris.  I had tried a few different geometries including capacitive coupling.  I was using copper foil tape that I had cut the slits with a razor blade and then sandwiching it between two sections of waveguide. 

https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/4939/RLE-TR-106-04711125.pdf?sequence=1

• Super Contributor
« Reply #502 on: August 06, 2024, 03:08:29 am »
The piston was originally a solid brass bar.  This caused problems when trying to tune the cavities resonate frequency.   I had shown an old HP adjustable short that I was originally going to use for the cavity but the screw pitch was too course and it had too much backlash.   The piston it used was a far better design.  It used finger contacts and was silver plated.     I have now changed my cavity to using a very similar piston.   The tuning is now very stable.   

The iris is the next thing that I need to address.  The adjustable thumb screw is just too sloppy.   The plan is to change to using a micrometer for this as well.   

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #503 on: August 06, 2024, 03:32:17 am »
Part 5, a touch of quantum physics and demonstration of a homemade Electron Paramagnetic Resonance (EPR) spectrometer.

That is one seriously awesome video.   :-+

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #504 on: August 26, 2024, 01:04:26 am »
New iris with micrometer stub and finger style piston installed.  Tuning is more stable  now.   

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #505 on: August 27, 2024, 09:42:46 pm »
http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2946&context=theses

might require a macrovna

very interesting paper, and it shows where that weird waveguide plasma jet thrust thing the Chinese made came from, and describes the history of similar apparatus. a truly enlightening paper

he gives essentially blue prints on the end

and then there is this refined document with much less detail that was made further on
https://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1472&context=engpapers
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 09:46:17 pm by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #506 on: August 28, 2024, 10:54:53 am »
Next I would like to try some sample tubes actually made specifically for EPR.  I suspect with the higher purity quartz and thinner wall, it would help improve the sensitivity. 

https://sp-wilmadlabglass.com/product/suprasil-epr-tubes-5mm-od/

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #507 on: September 06, 2024, 04:54:22 am »
I finally tried to plate my 3d printed horn antenna with janus green B, SPS, PEG4000 copper plate.

It worked very well all things considered.

I bought some larger bottles to store the solution (media bottle)

The biggest problem is the dimensions of the conductive paint, I am still working on getting palladium strike working to plate these parts without conductive paint. The tin chloride I got is severely degraded (only 20% of it dissolved).

But I am very confident that it can be done, so long you build a fixtured plating tank and precision bend plating inserts.

I think around 8-12 GHz you can get very high quality parts made from the plating.

its actually smooth and feels like putting copper against your skin and even has the same drilling problems as copper does with nasty burrs.

Glad I decided to keep with trying to plate it instead of trying to do crazy metal casted parts. I was certain I was going to get some flaky mess but it turns out really nice if you manage it correctly.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 04:58:17 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #508 on: September 07, 2024, 05:17:50 pm »
Show some good photos of what you have.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #509 on: September 07, 2024, 07:58:04 pm »
I am waiting to do the 8-12 GHz horn because this one has a busted flange that I filled with JB weld, and its above my test frequency, it only has 3 mounting holes as a result of this. I am going to make up 2L of solution and do a better plate on a higher wave guide size that I can actually measure on VNA

1) I got a 4 inch ID copper tube segment, that is ~0.05% phosphorous, which is ideal for electroplating, compared to random scraps I use that I can form into a proper electrode
2) I got 5um polypropylene fabric coming in mail to make anode bags with
3) make up 2L of plating solution so I can plate without the antenna sitting on bottom of tank almost coming out of water (that is, it can be suspended instead of moored)

there is 100% copper coverage the black is a failure of the kool-amp silver plating to get into the crevices. all defect appear to be because of the poor paint job (it was painted with spray paint squirted into a cup and brush painted after being swirled for a while to degass it and periodically had more paint added to make it liquid, real bootleg)

If you don't do 100% job on the kool amp, it leaves silver oxide (black) on the "not fully rubbed" parts of the surface, my brillo can't get into some of the channels in the corner etc

my fresh tin chloride should come in soon so hopefully I can get away from that god damn conductive paint crap. you could sand the paint down before you work but sanding it was driving me crazy, it keeps clogging sanding sticks and you end up with a 'zoolander' situation where you have 500 clogged manicuring products in the trash

I also bought a 24/40 glass vacuum filtering funnel (non frit but with holes), fine filter disks and a 2L erlynmeyer heavy walled flask so I can filter my baths through a vacuum system using a aspirator to get crap out after a run, and hopefully for the larger tank I can use my battery powered perestalic pump to pump out the electrolyte instead of trying to pour big containers into funnels

I also have my berylium copper fixture springs (curl it up into a spring and clamp it on the object undergoing plating) and titanium tweezers to make the whole process a little cleaner. I still need to get a squirt bottle for distilled water, It got really messy when I kept trying to pour it into a normal funnel to filter it out and swapping containers etc
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 08:21:48 pm by coppercone2 »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #510 on: September 08, 2024, 06:29:31 am »
hmm I started to rub on it hard with a coin to "burnish" it and the surface popped off, then I basically peeled the whole horn like a heavily armored chocolate

the plating is fairly strong but the adhesion to the paint is poor :-//

I would not call it a fail, but you do need to be gentle with this method.

Basically, if you try to burnish it hard (scratch with coin), the area under the stressed area will un-glue from the paint and peel off, but I don't expect the wave-guide to fall apart if you handle it reasonably, but its sensitive to point stress, so adding force spreader beneath the flange bolts might be a good idea if you over tighten them

I did however only gently wipe down the surface with alcohol before plating, it was not de-greased properly. In some spots, the paint peeled off, granted the paint might not have been adhered great, so maybe I can say its possible to adhere the plating well enough to make the paint the weak spot, not the copper paint interface.  :-+
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 06:41:28 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #511 on: September 12, 2024, 11:56:19 pm »
While we were not successful, you may have better luck:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/experimenting-with-waveguides-using-the-litevna/msg4888817/#msg4888817

I obviously gave up on the idea of plastic parts.  It's one thing to make an antenna but I think to make something like a magic T is going to be difficult.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #512 on: September 13, 2024, 12:16:11 am »
I think your current density is way too high or something, mine looked like that when I was going 6x the advised current limit because of a NASA-esque calculation fail

For burn out, I doubt you can do it. Only dissolving it (microfluidics type 3d printing) IMO can leave a copper shell really intact.

You have carrot going on, I think thiourea makes it carrot color, mine got like that when I added "tarn-x".

I need to remake my solution again, very clean, and try it at low density. I think if you get the mixture correct it should actually plate out copper colored. The problem is when you start getting high rates, it has a weird crystal structure. Its kind of like tearing a thin cut of soft styrofoam (the white one of beads). Its not gummy enough and you can actually tear it.. I think the more you stay at the minimum rate, the more ductile it is. It very much reminds me of the wrappers on chocolates when torn. I think its basically 'pre stressed' material. It would make a great wrapper for high end wines or something lol. I always wondered what metal that is, I think its just a consequence of plating. If it was like soft ductile copper, it would not unwrap.

I still did not try stirring or temperature control, I need to know what it does without control measures to see how it behaves when its 'wrong'
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 12:24:05 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #513 on: September 13, 2024, 12:25:17 am »
I think you misunderstood.  The part on the left was printed copper after sinter.  The part connected to the meter was the same part prior to sinter.   Note the shrinkage.  The large part would shrink to the WR90 dimensions.  Or at least, that was the idea.   

There is no current.  Rather a furnace and crucible. 

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2024, 12:33:14 am »
Oh I thought that was a thick plating and a attempt to burn out the filler like those 3d printed waxes. For getting controlled dimensions from embedded material... I don't even wanna think about it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf