Author Topic: CB and Ham Radio Techs Love Their Bird Wattmeters  (Read 216141 times)

kc7iyu and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
Re: CB and Ham Radio Techs Love Their Bird Wattmeters
« Reply #775 on: August 07, 2022, 04:49:07 pm »
Well, I guess some people have had a bad experience, which has left them with resent for others - as I say, there is a common dominator in such intolerance! I on the other hand don't tend to meet people and find that they're so unpleasant that I'm shunned out and away! I guess some just carry the bitterness with them and can't move on  :-//

Anyway, time to see who's about on some of the bands  ;)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #776 on: August 07, 2022, 05:43:44 pm »
I think it’s a well earned softer disdain rather than contempt  :-DD

More just presenting my findings.   Consider if so many CBHAMs hadn't made videos where they call out their Birds as a gold standard with perfect accuracy, I wouldn't poke fun at them.   If so many hams had not written me admitting the need to look good with their peers technically, I wouldn't call them out on that.   If so many hams didn't try to impress me by presenting themselves as Jim Bob, KQ7ZX, extra class and expecting me to take that as a figure of merit of their technical skills, I wouldn't bring it up.  Then of course, thanks to YT and hams,  we have several examples of how hams treat other hams when on the air.   There are certainly trends. 

When hams tell me that they bought an HP VNA specifically to look at their antenna SWR and then explain they are telling me this to make sure that I understand that they have obtained skills beyond the typical ham, I just have to laugh.   

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #777 on: August 07, 2022, 05:54:50 pm »
That does sound like proper resent and hate. Why would it even bother you in the slightest?  :-DD

Though I do agree with you about when they must introduce themselves with their name and call sign. I was kicked out of a Yaesu group for not giving my call sign in the forum. I had joined to get some schematics. I said, I'll give it on the air, but no need here, the moderator didn't like that  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #778 on: August 07, 2022, 06:04:53 pm »
Ah so you have met the morons  :-DD

Actually call signs are good. You can Google them easily and see what crap they posted on QRZ  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #779 on: August 07, 2022, 06:21:43 pm »
That does sound like proper resent and hate. Why would it even bother you in the slightest?  :-DD

Though I do agree with you about when they must introduce themselves with their name and call sign. I was kicked out of a Yaesu group for not giving my call sign in the forum. I had joined to get some schematics. I said, I'll give it on the air, but no need here, the moderator didn't like that  :-//

More entertaining than anything which has been the theme of this thread.   Of course, the CBHAMs don't all see it that way.    :-DD :-DD

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #780 on: August 07, 2022, 06:30:11 pm »

More entertaining than anything which has been the theme of this thread.   Of course, the CBHAMs don't all see it that way.    :-DD :-DD

I don't know what a CBHAM is, but you've certainly discriminated against everyone in the radio hobby.

I must add, I don't own a Bird meter and probably never will do.

Now, I must set up my HP VNA and measure some antennas  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #781 on: August 07, 2022, 06:36:03 pm »
Ah so you have met the morons  :-DD

Actually call signs are good. You can Google them easily and see what crap they posted on QRZ  :-DD

That's very true.  Remember the ham that was on this forum who was making review videos and ended up doing an interview at LeCroy and later had to leave the USA after being convicted of sexual contact with a minor as well as other offenses?    I have looked up some of the more special hams that have popped up on YT.   The do seem to come from the same stalk. 

Let's not forget, they are saving the world and demand our respect.  Which I do give to them, just not very much.    :-DD   

Had no idea that went on. What a complete melt  :palm:

Respect is earned. The only hams I have respect for did not earn it from being a ham.

Personally I would hate it if someone respected me so I do everything possible to avoid it  :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #782 on: August 07, 2022, 06:45:19 pm »
Here's our friend:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/may/19/filer-of-lr-suit-convicted-facing-depor/?f=news-arkansas

I don't know what a CBHAM is, but you've certainly discriminated against everyone in the radio hobby.

I have stated a few times that I would propose the FCC drop the license requirements and combine the two groups.  Or, just sell it off.   

Most humans have the ability to use data to differentiate between a duck and a fork.   It sounds like you are suggesting that my statements in this thread have been motivated based on race, age, gender, you would have to point it out.   I typically judge people based on what they bring to the table.  Getting a ham license just happens to carry little weight as far as I am concerned.   

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #783 on: August 07, 2022, 06:50:11 pm »
Here's our friend:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/may/19/filer-of-lr-suit-convicted-facing-depor/?f=news-arkansas

I have stated a few times that I would propose the FCC drop the license requirements and combine the two groups.  Or, just sell it off.   

Most humans have the ability to use data to differentiate between a duck and a fork.   It sounds like you are suggesting that my statements in this thread have been motivated based on race, age, gender, you would have to point it out.   I typically judge people based on what they bring to the table.  Getting a ham license just happens to carry little weight as far as I am concerned.   

I don't know about the USA, but in the UK, the requirement for the licence is to ensure people understand what they can and can't do on certain frequencies with certain power - this is a requirement and the licence is the only way to demonstrate that those licenced people have met the requirement, like it or not.

I've only suggested that you have issues with 'hams', as you display a lust for hate, bitterness and resent towards them - fine, up to you.

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #784 on: August 07, 2022, 06:51:30 pm »
Found these hams on the WWW

WB2LAV
Russell Alan Hulse - Co-winner with K1JT of 1993 Nobel Prize in Physics for discovery of binary pulsar

W1GBE
Dr. Percy Lebaron Spencer - Inventor of the Microwave Oven, held 150 patents, Senior Vice President of Raytheon Company

W2QBO
Wilson Greatbatch - Inventor of the cardiac pacemaker

W2SGG
Stan Danko - co-inventor of printed circuits

W6DOE
Clarence Leonidas Fender (Leo Fender) - He of Fender electric guitars. Prolific inventor & designer of instruments

W7DUK
Nolan Bushnell - Inventor, Computer Pioneer, Founded Atari

W9GFZ
Dr. Grote Reber - One of the earliest pioneers of radio astronomy, he succeeded in detecting "cosmic static" in 1939. In 1941, Reber produced the first radio map of the sky, based on a series of systematic observations. He received honours oft reserved for scientists professionally trained in astronomy

W9GTY
Jack Kilby - Inventor, invented the microchip for Texas Instruments in 1958, then the hand held digital calculator

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #785 on: August 07, 2022, 06:55:41 pm »
I think it’s a well earned softer disdain rather than contempt  :-DD

More just presenting my findings.

I have more of the same view as Squarewave; my experiences are quite a bit better than yours. But I'm not oblivious to the bad parts. I have very nice ham friends, who for the most part work with highly technical things and know a lot more than I do (which is easy, btw), but at the same time, I have met the not so nice people.

In particular, I remember a person I encountered at an "old american cars" gathering, where men with pot bellies air their misogyny and fondle badly constructed obsolete vehicles. (I was there because I do some pro bono audio consulting for the venue.) He had a very rusty Suburban or similar pointless oversize vehicle, with (and this probably is important) both CB antennas and 2m/70cm gear fitted. And a very crazy rightwing "Strong Man From the Plains" self-image.  He immediately singled me out since I've got a 2m/70cm rig in the car with a properly fitted antenna, and apparently assumed me being of his ilk.  Almost put me off the hobby, that did.

And, I'm crazy enough that I'm thinking of trying to pull off a new themistor mount for the 432 I got a couple years back... I don't even think I'll attain Bird "accuracy" but it would be fun as a challenge. Also, I suspect it would be pretty deaf...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #786 on: August 07, 2022, 07:05:14 pm »

WB2LAV
Russell Alan Hulse - Co-winner with K1JT of 1993 Nobel Prize in Physics for discovery of binary pulsar

W1GBE
Dr. Percy Lebaron Spencer - Inventor of the Microwave Oven, held 150 patents, Senior Vice President of Raytheon Company

W2QBO

W2SGG

W6DOE
Clarence Leonidas Fender (Leo Fender) - He of Fender electric guitars. Prolific inventor & designer of instruments

W7DUK

W9GFZ
Dr. Grote Reber - One of the earliest pioneers of radio astronomy, he succeeded in detecting "cosmic static" in 1939. In 1941, Reber produced the first radio map of the sky, based on a series of systematic observations. He received honours oft reserved for scientists professionally trained in astronomy

W9GTY
Jack Kilby - Inventor, invented the microchip for Texas Instruments in 1958, then the hand held digital calculator

Correlation vs causation.

A mention of Raytheon there I see. Jogged a memory. I was party to their amateur radio society once. This was a smoking room full of wife haters and rampant stock room theft  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #787 on: August 07, 2022, 07:13:34 pm »
Here's our friend:

I don't know about the USA, but in the UK, the requirement for the licence is to ensure people understand what they can and can't do on certain frequencies with certain power - this is a requirement and the licence is the only way to demonstrate that those licenced people have met the requirement, like it or not.

I've only suggested that you have issues with 'hams', as you display a lust for hate, bitterness and resent towards them - fine, up to you.

It’s a little more complicated than that. The foundation yes but the intermediate and full license exams are a little more technical.

The foundation was a sanity check only to make sure we had an IQ greater than a monkey. 20% of the applicants did not.

The intermediate made sure we could put a plug on, a PL259 on and solder a kit together. Optionally we could try and copy some morse code.

The full was hilariously difficult for people who have never used a calculator before and couldn’t work it for the exam.

It’s quite an effective filter.

Edit: I would like to point out I fell over the soldering iron cable when I was going for a piss and gave everyone a lesson on lab safety and what burning carpets smelled of  :-DD

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #788 on: August 07, 2022, 07:30:55 pm »
Here's our friend:

It’s a little more complicated than that. The foundation yes but the intermediate and full license exams are a little more technical.

The foundation was a sanity check only to make sure we had an IQ greater than a monkey. 20% of the applicants did not.

The intermediate made sure we could put a plug on, a PL259 on and solder a kit together. Optionally we could try and copy some morse code.

The full was hilariously difficult for people who have never used a calculator before and couldn’t work it for the exam.

It’s quite an effective filter.

Edit: I would like to point out I fell over the soldering iron cable when I was going for a piss and gave everyone a lesson on lab safety and what burning carpets smelled of  :-DD

I wouldn't say it's more complicated than that as such. Each level tests the person on their knowledge and responsibility to use more power at each stage which comes with it. Yes there are many questions which make it more technical at each stage too.

I am aware that there are people without previous electronics knowledge who do struggle with the Full, or are completely put off by it due to it's content, maths as well as electronics.

I really enjoyed each and every stage, found it just fine and the Full went over a lot of ground I'd already covered years ago. This is why I see it as a technical hobby, I like the maths behind it, using the hobby to come up with more projects and experiments. It's something I enjoy and why not.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 07:32:46 pm by Squarewave »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #789 on: August 07, 2022, 07:36:46 pm »
That is until you see the guy walk out of the exam having passed his foundation and go and buy a 100W HF rig and tell everyone he’s going to use it at full tilt  :palm:

There is honour in all things but people.

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #790 on: August 07, 2022, 07:41:56 pm »
That is until you see the guy walk out of the exam having passed his foundation and go and buy a 100W HF rig and tell everyone he’s going to use it at full tilt  :palm:

There is honour in all things but people.

Yeah, I've known people to use more power than they're meant to, (the UK limit for the Full licence is 400w for everyone else's sake).

I've known Full to use linears well over the 400w. I've never used more than 100w, apart from when a valve PA peaks just over on SSB. I've no intention of using more, I don't think I need to.

Then again, I've known people to drive in a 30mph limit at more than 30mph. I've been a very very very naughty boy in the past on a motorbike also.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #791 on: August 07, 2022, 08:00:21 pm »

Others have posted similar comments.  Again, that's your perception.   I can certainly understand the ego of the ham,  especially the older group.   Having looked through much of the pool of questions, very little was technical.   

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #792 on: August 07, 2022, 08:04:47 pm »

Others have posted similar comments.  Again, that's your perception.   I can certainly understand the ego of the ham,  especially the older group.   Having looked through much of the pool of questions, very little was technical.

Others have posted similar comments to mine, again that's your perception. You've looked through the wrong paper.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:06:25 pm by Squarewave »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #793 on: August 07, 2022, 08:07:17 pm »
Here’s the UK full license paper for ref.

https://rsgb.org/main/files/2021/05/Full-Mock-Exam-Paper-1_v5.pdf

Favourite question extracted. The difference between someone who understands it properly via not is about 10 minutes of calculator button pressing vs none  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:09:03 pm by bd139 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #794 on: August 07, 2022, 08:08:45 pm »

WB2LAV

W1GBE

W2QBO

W2SGG

W6DOE

W7DUK

W9GFZ

W9GTY

You bring up a very good point.  Turn back the hands of time and you will find many people working in the technical sector having their ham license.  It really was a technical hobby.   I knew professionals that were also hams who had some very impressive skills.   As I have stated, ham radio helped guide me towards my path in electronics.   Of course, the people  you mention are in a different class than those I am devoting this thread to and I am sure they recognize this.       

• Super Contributor
« Reply #795 on: August 07, 2022, 08:12:04 pm »

Favourite question extracted. The difference between someone who understands it properly via not is about 10 minutes of calculator button pressing vs none  :-DD

We had used ARRL's
http://www.arrl.org/question-pools

• Super Contributor
« Reply #796 on: August 07, 2022, 08:20:26 pm »

:-DD :-DD

This reminds me of when first starting out before having AC analysis.   Redrawing the schematics to make them look more complex than they were was part of the fun....     

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #797 on: August 07, 2022, 08:23:56 pm »
That’s one thing they teach you how to do in ARRL material ironically  :-DD

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #798 on: August 07, 2022, 09:26:45 pm »
Well while ya'll have been straightening out ham radio I've been busy on my CAD parts. I finished the mounting slide which I re-created from scratch and now it should fit in correctly at the front.

For the rear case panel all I need to do is re-size the hole for an SMA bulkhead and it should be fine.

Will try to print tomorrow.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith, bd139

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #799 on: August 07, 2022, 09:43:43 pm »
Some of you guys must be asshole magnets.  Of course if you think you're surrounded by assholes...

Me, I've been a ham since I turned 20, and I'm in my late 60's now.  I belong to a ham club and 99% of the members are great people with a wide variety of ham interests.  Some, like me, just like designing and building stuff.  A few have radio-related businesses selling some pretty sophisticated equipment they have designed.  Others like contesting, emergency services, DXing, and ragchewing.  None of them look down on the others for not sharing their particular interest.  I've been invited a few times to give presentations about my latest enthusiasms, and even though I often get pretty deep into the tech stuff (sampling theory, calculation of spurs and aliases, filter design, SDR programming, etc.) the club members are always engaged and complementary, and ask for more.  Other members give presentations about their interests as well.  Yes, we're mostly retired men, but there are some women and younger folks as well.

A couple of months ago we had a Zoom chat with ARRL CEO David Minster, and I was impressed.

But I guess you can't please everyone.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

The following users thanked this post: cgroen, Squarewave

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf