Author Topic: Have 1000-1500$USD to spend on a UHF/VHF HAM radio setup what to buy?  (Read 894 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
I cashed in my bitcoins (I found a trezor I thought I lost)

Live in baltimore city apt building, What should I buy for my 1st radio with a general class lic?

I have a power supply so looking for a mobile 12v or 120v  unit
need SWR meter
antenna; omni directional that will sit on 4th floor roof fire escape
50 ohm coax f connectors etc.

Looking to do 2m 1.25m and 70cm bands (do they make triband radios?)

Want a base/mobile unit with handheld mic as I have had no luck with cheap chinese baofung hand helds.

What do you guys run? What kind of wattage should I look for? The interface will also have to be easy to use/see as Im legally blind.

I was going to do HF but thats too hard in the city so vhf uhf it is.

Are there decent chinese radios or should I stick to icom/japanesse brands etc ? When I buy something I want it to last and be the last peice of equipment I buy.

Should I look into digital modes? Im just going to use this for talking on and not hooking up to a computer.

This is the most knowledgeable place I know to ask these questions.

Also Im willing to trade a tek 3365 scope for equipment.

Thanks Beamin
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
Re: Have 1000-1500$USD to spend on a UHF/VHF HAM radio setup what to buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 11:47:56 pm »
Depends on what the usual habits of the Hams in your area are. Some places have repeaters that are predominantly on one band or the other. 220 is weird because it is mostly US, so equipment is more limited.
Find the biggest Ham radio club in your area and read their website. Look at the repeater frequencies and their activities. They may also have classified section for used equipment.
You can get a good 2 meter rig for perhaps $100 (I bought some for $10) and look into making an antenna. It is not hard to make a 1/2 wave dipole out of stainless rod. Or buy one. If you can attach it to metal fire escape, you can probably use a mobile whip antenna with a base that normally would attach to a car top carrier, like on a typical minivan. Really good antenna, really cheap. Antenna unscrews from the mount easily.
You only need a few watts for repeater stuff.
Chinese stuff is generally poor quality, has terrible harmonics.
Buying a radio is a lot like buying a car, The original owner takes the big monetary hit. If you buy something used, you can usually sell it and not take a big loss. This is helpful when you are starting and do not know what you will desire in the near future. This is not meant as a slight to a new ham, I change my mind about equipment all the time. Best to be flexible and gives you something to be interested in once Hamfests open up again.
About HF.....
Many city bound Hams use balcony antennas like Magnetic Loops. I have one I made myself and it works VERY well, even indoors.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf