Author Topic: Zephyrtronics tools legit?  (Read 9565 times)

Offline yanirTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Zephyrtronics tools legit?
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:33:22 pm »
Anyone here ever heard of or use zephyrtonics? They make rework and soldering tools. They have attractive prices and seem like they are good tools but the site looks so amateurish and smells of snake oil salesmanship that I have never bought anything from them. They claim to be used
By NASA /JPL (every chance they get btw). So wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them. If they really are any good then someone here must have used their equipment.

I'm in the market for a low cost bga rework station for work and their solution is in my price range. The alternative is I send out all my protoboards for assembly that use bgas.
http://www.zeph.com/bgarework_stations_systems_qfn_smd_hot_air_repair.htm
Thoughts?

Offline andyb

• Contributor
Re: Zephyrtronics tools legit?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:40:24 pm »
They're very legit, we had some of their hot air rework stuff in the lab at MIT. I never thought their prices were reasonable though...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 01:56:19 pm »
Thanks for confirming. For personal use I agree the prices are on the high side but 3-5k for a bga rework station is good when compared against 20k+. The only other manufacturer with comparable prices I found is OKI.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 04:34:29 pm »
Yep. These guys have been around for a long time. Ive seen tham at several of my assembly contractors and they always show up at APEX expo , which is the largest expo in the world for pcb equipment.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline reagle

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »
Bought some solder paste and tips from them recently.  Customer service/keeping you in the loop on stuff shipped is non-existing, but you do get the goods. In my case some items were backordered, so they just shipped the rest. No communication, no tracking number email. Also never responded to my questions.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 01:13:31 am »
I had a similar experience when evaluating their hot air pencil system a few years ago. There seem to be very few people on the customer service/sales side of the house. If the product is good I'm willing to deal with it.

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 01:52:52 pm »
Bought some solder paste and tips from them recently.  Customer service/keeping you in the loop on stuff shipped is non-existing, but you do get the goods. In my case some items were backordered, so they just shipped the rest. No communication, no tracking number email. Also never responded to my questions.

This was pretty much my exact experience with them as well. They didn't respond to me either.

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 06:17:59 pm »
The thread seems to have died down... Was the Zeph purchased? How did it go?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:05:57 pm »

Not yet, but I might get it soon. Comparing the cost of sending these boards out for prototype assembly.

I'll let you know.

Offline CPRHoldings

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:45 pm »

Not yet, but I might get it soon. Comparing the cost of sending these boards out for prototype assembly.

I'll let you know.

Not sure if you've considered a used system, but I have a full set of Zephytronics tools. They're in pretty good condition (came working from a PCB reworking facility for Verizon. They let us take them when we closed up shop).

ZT-1, ZT-7, ZT-3, ZT-2... Ive got quite a bit.

I understand your risk factor with making a considerable investment in tools that are already used so if you don't feel comfortable that's understandable, no worries.

Just wanted to maybe hep you with saving on those prices direct from Zephyrtronics.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:44:42 pm by CPRHoldings »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:53:53 am »

I'll let you know.

Not sure if you've considered a used system, but I have a full set of Zephytronics tools. They're in pretty good condition (came working from a PCB reworking facility for Verizon. They let us take them when we closed up shop).

ZT-1, ZT-7, ZT-3, ZT-2... Ive got quite a bit.

I understand your risk factor with making a considerable investment in tools that are already used so if you don't feel comfortable that's understandable, no worries.

Just wanted to maybe hep you with saving on those prices direct from Zephyrtronics.

I might be interested for my personal lab. I'll let you know.

For work I ended up sending the boards out for assembly. Not as exciting but a little safer for the project at this stage.

Offline lnic

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:24:09 am »
I'd like to buy a used ZT2 and a board holder. Would you deliver to Germany? What are the conditions? You may email me direct.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf