Author Topic: Quality polyimide tape - where to get?  (Read 3114 times)

Offline LeonRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
Quality polyimide tape - where to get?
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:59:44 pm »
I've bought a "Koptan" (lol) tape roll that don't like taking heat unless it's completely glued to the surface, and even then, it left a yellow stain on the part it was glued on. I've seen videos on youtube of tapes taking up to 400ÂșC with no sweat, I think I just got a dud.

Is there any Aliexpress/Ebay/Gearbest seller with a quality product? I've took sme hours digging into reviews but most people don't seem to have tested the tape for SMD work.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
Re: Quality polyimide tape - where to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:34 pm »
It's just tape. Why not buy the proper stuff?

Even in China they use the real stuff.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:08:36 pm »
I bought several rolls from different suppliers (all Chinese) and they all seemed to work well for me for SMD and 3D printing work.

Unfortunately, I can't find it in my Aliexpress purchase history (nor in Ebay or Amazon), so I can't be 100% sure from whom I bought it, but I know it was 6" roll from one supplier and the other [thinner] sizes from several other suppliers and they've all been fine.

Offline LeonRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:03:08 pm »

I bought is as so! Unfortunately got a bad quality sample. I guess it comes while going with low prices, but it wasn't my first problem with chinese goods - good thing aliexpress have a good refund policy.

I bought several rolls from different suppliers (all Chinese) and they all seemed to work well for me for SMD and 3D printing work.

Unfortunately, I can't find it in my Aliexpress purchase history (nor in Ebay or Amazon), so I can't be 100% sure from whom I bought it, but I know it was 6" roll from one supplier and the other [thinner] sizes from several other suppliers and they've all been fine.

Nice. I just grabbed this, from another seller. Hoping it works as intended.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50mm-X-33m-100ft-Kapton-Tape-High-Temperature-Heat-Resistant-Polyimide-free-shipping/210862_32777790248.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.5.619541e62zIIMO

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 08:24:29 pm »
I think I bought mine from tapecase.com. I bought a couple rolls and I use a fairly low volume of the stuff so it's been so long I hardly remember where I got it but I think it was tapecase. I got polyester tape there for winding transformers too.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:57:35 am »

Ever seen the prices of the "real stuff"?  >:D
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=5413%20AMBER%2C%201%201%2F4%20IN%20X%2036&v=19

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 06:13:41 pm »
Guesswork  here but you probably want silicone based adhesive, not acrylic.
Most of the ebay sellers don't specify what they are selling, maybe better order from Alibaba from those sellers that specify the glue type even if its not any 100% guarantee..
(3M rates their acrylic adhesive polyimide tape to 180C and silicone adhesive to 260c)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf