Author Topic: favorite shop noises?  (Read 2756 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
favorite shop noises?
« on: June 06, 2019, 05:22:49 am »
I just got a milwakee m12 dremel, boy when I turned that on the funny whine along with recent news of someones desire to launch 12000 satellites made me think 'god damn I am in the fucking REAL space age'.

What a funny wind up noise, the youtube videos don't quite capture it (ave video makes it sound 'whiny' but it does not sound that way to me IRL). It just sounds god damn high tech for some reason, considering its a brushed motor.

What do you like? The sudden quiet roar of the oxy torch? The solenoid clunking followed by plasma cutter flames? a vacuum pump?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:26:47 am by coppercone2 »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: favorite shop noises?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 05:32:50 am »
Noises not so much come to mind.  How about smells?  The smell of hot electronics is always fun.  Turning on the soldering iron, for the first time in some days/weeks.  Or the smell of the heat rising from a tube amp.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 07:41:42 pm »
For shop smells, I would have to go with high sulfur oil because it reminds me of steam engines.

I just got a Milwaukee M12 drill and driver and wondered about their rotary tool.  Does it use a brushless DC motor?  That might explain the sound.  I doubt I will get one because I already have an old plug-in Dremel.

Offline larrybl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 08:40:56 pm »
For Shop noises, in a well insulated shop, quietly concentrating on cleaning a carb or something and the 20 Gallon air compressor suddenly kicks on  :o
For smells, Brining the riding mower in after freshly mowing the yard where the Dogs go.  :-\ 

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 12:49:29 am »
For shop smells, I would have to go with high sulfur oil because it reminds me of steam engines.

I just got a Milwaukee M12 drill and driver and wondered about their rotary tool.  Does it use a brushless DC motor?  That might explain the sound.  I doubt I will get one because I already have an old plug-in Dremel.

more then you want to know about rotary tool

Offline kizmit99

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 01:10:54 am »
For Shop noises, in a well insulated shop, quietly concentrating on cleaning a carb or something and the 20 Gallon air compressor suddenly kicks on  :o

Yeah, when I saw the post title my first thought was "The sound of the air compressor turning off! --- ah, the sound of silence."

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 03:30:42 am »
Sudden silence, followed by the sound of the standby diesel powering up.
Especially good if you are engrossed in what you are working on in the mechanical workshop adjacent to the Engine room!  :scared:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:35:59 am by vk6zgo »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 05:12:02 am »

Do not buy their rotary tool, it horribly vibrates at most used speed, apparently there is a design flaw causing resonances.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 05:24:16 am »
..?

I have been using it (on plastic) and it feels more sturdy then the damn dremel which would start flopping around like a god damn hose when milling aluminum.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 05:37:58 am »
tried it on 3/8 inch mild steel angle iron and a 2x2 inch peice of aerospace aluminum, cut a deep groove in both without much problems so long the pressure was right, at good depth of cut

Bit slow but I don't know what to expect from a tiny carbide endmill? dremel would have had a fit

I noticed if you use it on sheet metal you get vibration problems, but dremel does that too. It has to be stiff to work right, I thought this was a general rule with rotary tools of all sizes? Like if you use it on a loose chassis it will jump around (i.e. modding a equipment chassis) but if the work piece is in a vise and is beefy its ok. I swept it from 1-6 during the cut without noticing much change in vibration. Thin objects suck in general for machining IMO. Usually is best to put some kind of filler in them like a block of wood thats clamped in (no fun making holes in thin stuff other then fire)

my main complaint about it is that the nice rubber handles seem to like to catch chips
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:44:40 am by coppercone2 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 05:44:06 am »
A perfectly tuned/adjusted MIG welder.  :)
1/2” or 3/4” rattle gun working hard ‘cause I’m not swinging on a bar or ratchet.  :P

Otherwise Pink Floyd !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 05:44:55 am »
A perfectly tuned/adjusted MIG welder.  :)
1/2” or 3/4” rattle gun working hard ‘cause I’m not swinging on a bar or ratchet.  :P

Otherwise Pink Floyd !

just got a little 3$ radio from good will lol

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 12:50:32 am »
Bit slow but I don't know what to expect from a tiny carbide endmill? dremel would have had a fit
If you can machine steel with a carbide endmill by hand, i think you potentially own the best rotary tool in the world. I use endmills in a rigid setups, like a router table or a plunge router, but even so there is hardly anything I could do to steel using a router or a Dremel with an endmill. Free-hand, I would only use burrs or abrasive bits on steel. Freehanding, I could use an endmill in styrofoam, maybe.

My favorite sound in the shop is probably the router... up until the bit hits the stock.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:56:52 am by KL27x »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 12:51:59 am »
I guess the proper term for it would be a 'rotary file', I have seen them for milling machines and they seem to look very similar to the tools put inside of die grinder

I don't know what the dremel marketing name is for it.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 12:58:09 am »
Cylindrical burr, die grinder.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 01:15:43 am »
I call them carbide burrs, yeah. If you want to grind steel in awkward spots where an angle grinder can't reach, and you don't want to buy a stupid expensive electric die grinder, try the HF 1/4" trim router. Dremel on steroids. It can't reach deep into tight spots, but it costs $25.00, it is smooth and concentric, and it has plenty of inertia and power. Same RPM and shank size as a die grinder. It is smooth as butter with the die grinder 3" cutting discs, too, but you are on your own for a guard. I fabbed one up out of 1/8" bar and thin sheet metal. I have a cheap electric die grinder, and other than the long neck on it, the HF trim router puts it to shame as a die grinder. There are plenty of times I have used it on plastic and wood, too, where the dremel just takes too long. Not for small hands, though.

Some peeps actually use this as a router. To me, all the router attachments belong in the garbage, but the tool, itself, is fairly excellent.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:55:49 am by KL27x »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 03:31:14 am »
more then you want to know about rotary tool

So the unique sound is from the chopping frequency of the pulse width modulator.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 09:29:12 pm »
Do not buy their rotary tool, it horribly vibrates at most used speed, apparently there is a design flaw causing resonances.
I have been using it (on plastic) and it feels more sturdy then the damn dremel which would start flopping around like a god damn hose when milling aluminum.
Once you have used a good rotary tool, you will see the difference. I dunno how good the M12 is or isn't, but concentricity and smoothness both matter. If the bit turns perfectly concentrically, but the motor vibrates, it's just as bad as if the bit ran out of true.

When using a burr or hard point, a buzzy or out of round rotary tool will still work. Esp if you can adjust the speed, you can get a spot where it feels smooth. But the cutting will still be inefficient. If you check the bit for debris, you might find it is cutting only on one side. That would indicate the bit is probably not spinning concentrically. If you are using a stone bit, you could possibly grind it into balance if it is slightly out of round... but it will be out of whack the next time you remove and reinsert it. If the bit runs true but the entire tool vibrates, it could perform equally badly, but it might not show up on the bit in the same way.

My (actual) die grinder is perfectly concentric, but the motor creates so much vibration that it doesn't cut well with burs. The entire neck flexes due to the vibrations. It is halfway decent with cutting discs, only.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:37:05 pm by KL27x »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 09:35:47 pm »
I want the dewalt variable speed die grinder but I would like to try to hold it first, I keep passing up the milwakee one because its fixed speed and I am worried that it won't be optimal

It seems like this tool in general is not being built stiff enough? I see videos on youtube for a dampened one that reduces vibrations but its corded

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 09:39:39 pm »
It seems like this tool in general is not being built stiff enough?
If you want a frame of reference, maybe spend 25-30 on the HF trim router.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf