Author Topic: Any opinion on WY815P soldering station?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Any opinion on WY815P soldering station?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 03:15:54 am »
I notice they claim this is T12. Those are definitely not T12 tips. I would move on and look for something better.
Testing one two three...

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 08:47:49 pm »
Yeah not T12, and a 2-in-1 unit.

Unless you absolutely need the desk space savings, better to get two dedicated units:
- a 858D or clone
- a proper T12 station
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline RayRay

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 09:40:46 pm »
Yep, definitely mislabeled and not T12, the tips look more similar to the 200M series. Anyhow, AIO stations are generally a hit and miss, and you'd be best getting em seprately. If you need a hot air station, refer to this post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/hot-air-station-a-few-tips-for-buying/msg3894902/#msg3894902
For a soldering station, I'd recommend QUECOO T12-956 or Bakon BK1000. The first one is very clearly T12 based, while the Bakon uses 200M tips and the VH90 heating element. Both have their pros and cons, but either would serve you well. T12 stations are generally very good, the tips are a bit more affordable than 200M's and have more variety to em, you can find handles that have a shorter tip to handle distance for more precision SMD work, and the fact that the heating element is integrated into the tip means you wouldn't need to worry about the need to replace the heating element somewhere down the line. That said, T12 irons have one key flaw: the heat goes all over the place, and reaches the handle after 6-7 mins (it's not gonna be hot enough to burn your fingers, I've measured 37C with a thermometer on mine) but nvertheless it's a bit of an inconvinence.  There are ways to mitigate it though, like lowering the temperature or switching off the station in-between (while you're fidding with wires/components before having another soldering operation I mean) and this is something that is very unlikely to occur with the Bakon due it's design, so take that into considiration.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf