Author Topic: Mantis Elite Objectives-Which ones for Electronics?  (Read 5144 times)

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Mantis Elite Objectives-Which ones for Electronics?
« on: August 23, 2013, 05:41:04 pm »
Hi,
I've just bought an "as good as new" Mantis Elite (V2) scope and Universal stand off Ebay (from Germany). It does not come with any objectives. Which ones are best for electronics (surface mount soldering/desoldering and general close up work). I obviously need to keep in mind the working distance and field of view.
What is the best choice for my needs. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

David.

David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Mantis Elite Objectives-Which ones for Electronics?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:18:04 pm »
X4 is fine for pretty much anything down to 0402 and 0.4mm pitches.
The problem with higher mags is you lose too much field of view. On a Mantis Compact, X4 will fit a QFP100 in view - any less would start to get annoying. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:01:21 pm »
So, all I really need is the X4? Is there good working distance with this lens?Is the FOV on a compact different than an Elite using a X4 objective?
Thanks.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:34:57 pm »
In my experience X6 is the best choice. X4 is also reasonable but X8 limits the field of view too much and has more magnification than necessary.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:54:32 pm »
x4 and x6 it is then. Are there different types of objectives available? I read somewhere about super long working distance lens when I did a forum search. Are these a distinct type of lens?

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:58:16 pm »
Working distance of the x4 on the compact is 100mm, which is fine.
FOV is 30mm diameter. For board inspection work you'd certainly not want it any smaller as you lose your place on the board too easily.
Unless you're working on mobile-phone scale stuff I don't think the higher mags are particularly useful, certainly at new-lens prices - I've had the Mantis for years and never felt the need for more magnification.
Suggest you start with the x4 and see if you feel the need for more once you use it
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:02:18 pm by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline djghost

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 10:52:58 am »
The x4 is very good, and the cheapest.
I like the x6 SLWD a lot, but it's the most expensive of all lenses.
x8 is too much for working, but really good for inspection (I have one for sale for really cheap, I drop you a PM).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 03:00:54 pm »
Mantis has arrived safely from Germany. I've ordered a x4 objective from Grove sales. Looking forward to using it. What should I use to clean the screen and lenses with? I don't want to use anything in case I damage any coatings on the glass.
Thanks.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:49:33 am »
Microfibre cloth, and if there is dirt there first use a brand new unused camel hair artists brush to remove it. If it is stuck then wet the brush in plain water and wipe it down with it. then use the microfibre cloth to dry it. That will not damage the lenses or coatings.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:53:03 am »
x4 for general work, and x8 for more critical stuff and inspection.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 12:51:01 pm »
Thanks Dave. I'm sticking with the x4 initially after Mike's (and your) recommendation. Later on I'll get a x8. I'll have to wait a while though as they are about 3 times the cost of the x4 (which cost me £108).

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 04:00:18 pm »
Just fired it up for the first time and I'm VERY pleased with the image clarity and the ability to see AROUND what's being looked at (for instance solder joints). I will have to work on the ergonomics of my desk/table and seating position though. I'm also pleased that it does not take up too much room.
I'm just relieved it's working OK after coming all the way from Germany.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 05:10:26 pm »
I wonder how I can remove a few black specs of dust from behind the main lens? Must be small pieces of black plastic disturbed during transit. Not big enough to block any image (especially at x4 or x8 anyway) but still noticeable. Guess I'll just live with this and if I get a camera retrofitted later on (in a few years at least) I'll ask for it to be cleaned internally.
Wonder if a quick blast with a duster aerosol will dislodge the dust on the screen?

David.

PS I've given the lens exterior surfaces a wipe with a microfibre cloth, so definately internal.
David
Hertfordshire,UK

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 06:16:11 pm »
Place on it's side and gently tap the metal with a screwdriver handle. this should dislodge them off to the side. If the lens is then clean remember to never tip it over again until you send it for cleaning.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf