Author Topic: Proper soldering iron tip care  (Read 12933 times)

Offline albert001

• Regular Contributor
Re: Proper soldering iron tip care
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2019, 01:23:54 am »
Thanks for the feedback.

I did find some more tips for the Ungar on eBay, $17.00 with shipping.

Appears to be unused old stock that's been sitting around for quite a while since new. What I like about the Ungar is it has some heavier tips up to around 1100 deg. F.,  that can be used on equipment with thick heavier soldering.  The Weller station only goes up to 800 - 850 deg F. and the tips are smaller.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:01:09 am by albert001 »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tookiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2019, 11:09:11 am »
Thanks for the feedback.

I did find some more tips for the Ungar on eBay, $17.00 with shipping.

Appears to be unused old stock that's been sitting around for quite a while since new. What I like about the Ungar is it has some heavier tips up to around 1100 deg. F.,  that can be used on equipment with thick heavier soldering.  The Weller station only goes up to 800 - 850 deg F. and the tips are smaller.

In this video (which is awesome, and shows lots of manual and automated component manufacture à la 1974), at 2:21 it looks like they're soldering with a white-hot iron. (But I suppose it might be some kind of welding — anybody know??)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2019, 01:04:53 pm »
I suppose it might be some kind of welding — anybody know?

Resistance soldering

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2019, 01:08:22 pm »
This I honestly don't know. "Hack-o" or "hake-o?"

I was going back through this thread and thought I would respond to this.  Last year, I spoke with someone in ordering in Hakko NA and she pronounced it 'hawk-o'.  I would think that anyone who speaks to customers would be told how to properly pronounce the name of the company they work for.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2019, 01:46:28 pm »
who cares if she calls it fruit loop cereal so long she moves boxes

Offline albert001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2019, 04:57:15 pm »
I think the resistance "welding" is what a person from Switzerland I know told me he took some courses to learn.

I assume the difference between soldering and resistance soldering is the method to produce heat. Higher resistance creates more heat where a soldering machine increases the wattage (amps) of an electrode to increase temperature of a soldering iron tip.

Googling "How resistance soldering works"

Resistance soldering as the name suggests relies on the resistance of the solder to the flow of an electric current to generate enough heat to melt the solder. This occurs in exactly the same way as an electric radiator or incandescent light bulb works

Googling "How does resistance welding work"

Electric resistance welding (ERW) refers to a group of welding processes such as spot and seam welding that produce coalescence of faying surfaces where heat to form the weld is generated by the electrical resistance of material combined with the time and the force used to hold the materials together during welding.

Welding your melting metal with penetration whereas soldering is more like brazing materials.

So regular soldering and welding are similar with the latter penetrating materials.  Some forms of welding such as MIG has no Amp (wattage) setting. In order to increase amps on a mig welder you increase the wire flow rate, more wire = higher amps while adjusting voltage.

I've done both stick and some MIG and mig is related more to speed. Less time is normally used to create a weld, as you can't hold the wire and work a  puddle as long as when stick welding.

My Hobart MIG welder adjustments. Takes a while to get the hang of mig welding, it has some advantages over stick.

1 Voltage Switch - Use control to select the weld voltage range. As the thickness of material increases, a higher voltage range must be selected

2 Wire Feed Control - Use control to select a wire feed speed. As Voltage switch setting increases, wire speed range also increases

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:44:03 pm by albert001 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf