Author Topic: UNI-T meters, UT61E vs UT71E, UT33C, UT10A  (Read 20895 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
UNI-T meters, UT61E vs UT71E, UT33C, UT10A
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:46:19 pm »
I thought I would post my opinion of the UT61E now that I have one, especially in relation to the quality of the UT71E and compared to my other UNI-T meters and all my other experience with multimeters over the years. I have had mixed experiences with UNI-T. I now have four including the UT61E.

My UT10A and UT33C are to be considered good buys for their low price and INTENDED use. Let me say that the UT10A and UT33C are well made and accurate well within their specs (each of my singular samples) especially for their prices. They are NOT to be considered safe for high energy measurements. Keep these two for low voltage bench and automotive measurements and they are outstanding deals. I personally have no problems using the UT33C on the mains, but I am not the kind of person to forget that I have the leads connected to the current measurement jacks.

My UT61E arrived from DX with no damage to the box. There is nothing particularly special about the packaging but it is sufficient to protect the meter during shipment.

The first overall impression is that the case is well made and solid, as mentioned by Dave in his $100 shootout when he commented on the 61D.

The internal construction in mine is the same as those in the images provided earlier in the thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/uni-t-ut61e-multimeter-teardown-photos/  on the UT61E teardown for the later revisions. The minimal input protection is a bit of a concern and I wonder why UNI-T decided to omit the MOVs when the footprints are there. I guess another vote from the bean counters. If you are handy with a soldering iron it would be very easy to add the MOVs. I might just do that.

The UT61E has all the features, almost, that a hobbyist would want in a multimeter and for a good price. Missing IMHO are the back light and temperature measurement. Neither of the missing items are deal breakers as they are well compensated by the inclusion of the data logging cable. The problem with the cable is they are still shipping RS232 cables. IMHO these should be discontinued and they should only supply the USB type. It is possible to pick a USB-RS232 converter but these are a bit of a gamble as to whether the one you have in your hand will actually do the proper level translations needed.

The leads are OK, not great, but they have a relatively low internal resistance. They definitely need cleaning out of the box because they have residue on the points which form a bit of insulation.

If you are familiar with the $100 shootout by Dave here, you will have seen one of his major dislikes of the UT61D. Be assured that the UT61E does not have this problem of a very slow continuity test reaction. The UT61E has instant although unlatched response. I prefer unlatched continuity for the reason it can help you detect intermittent switches.

When I tested the accuracy of the UT61E out of the box, it met its specs in voltage, current, and resistance. The DC voltage was at the limit of its specifications so I tweaked it over the past few days and it has remained stable.

After having this meter for a few days, my confidence in it is rather high.

Now how would I compare it to the UT71E? Well in a nutshell, the UT71E at 3-4 times the price, is a heap of junk compared to the UT61E. Its input layout and protection is terrible. Mine came with accuracy of worse than 0.4% out of the box. It has taken a while for me to tweak and get it to stabilize and hold an accuracy close to its rated spec. It has all the features any hobbyist or professional could want, but what use is that if it has a hazardous input protection layout and un-trustworthy accuracy out of the box? The UT61E easily out classes the much higher priced UT71E in almost any consideration, except for features.

Conclusion:

Out of all the meters I have used, seen, and watched reviews on, the UT61E is one of the best buys out there for a multimeter. I would recommend one to anyone looking for a good meter. Of course if you want to spend more there are better meters, but you need to pay much much more to get better. If you need a good meter, you can't go wrong with the UT61E. If you want better, then spend the money on an Agilent higher model or a Fluke 87, don''t waste your time and money on the intermediates as there are not many around the middle range that are worth the money. I considered a UEi 397, but the only place I could find that carries them are rather difficult to deal with.

An Update:  After seeing some new information on the UT61E I have to down rate it to a good buy for low energy circuit hobby use. See this link https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/a-list-of-multimeters-that-do-not-appear-to-meet-their-claimed-safety-specs/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:34:39 pm by Lightages »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: UNI-T meters, UT61E vs UT71E, UT33C, UT10A
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:06:16 pm »
It is possible to pick a USB-RS232 converter but these are a bit of a gamble as to whether the one you have in your hand will actually do the proper level translations needed.

That's okay, because you don't need any with an optical adapter.

Offline Matje

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:17:55 pm »
The minimal input protection is a bit of a concern and I wonder why UNI-T decided to omit the MOVs when the footprints are there. I guess another vote from the bean counters.

Hehehe, their marketeers are just as bad, see below.

The problem with the cable is they are still shipping RS232 cables. IMHO these should be discontinued and they should only supply the USB type.

Isn't this a problem with the seller? I bought my Uni-Ts from a seller who seems to only supply USB cables with them. As it should be in this day and age.

If you are familiar with the $100 shootout by Dave here, you will have seen one of his major dislikes of the UT61D. Be assured that the UT61E does not have this problem of a very slow continuity test reaction. The UT61E has instant although unlatched response. I prefer unlatched continuity for the reason it can help you detect intermittent switches.

Hmm, I feel it is still quite slow compared to my el-cheapo Voltcraft VC-150.

As for the marketing peoples fail: I think the UT61C/D makes a good companion to the E. OK, it has only 6000 Counts, but it has a nice low burden voltage in the 600 µA range (30 mV) and 60 mA range (100 mV). The C has temperature, but no RMS.

That the marketing folk failed to mention the low burden voltage anywhere should get them fired...

The following users thanked this post: analog8484

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:46:32 pm »

The problem with the cable is they are still shipping RS232 cables. IMHO these should be discontinued and they should only supply the USB type.

Isn't this a problem with the seller? I bought my Uni-Ts from a seller who seems to only supply USB cables with them. As it should be in this day and age.

Yes, I could have purchased one with USB. I purchased this without thinking too much about it. So while I agree with you, it seems rather pointless to keep supplying these with RS232.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:06:53 pm »
That the marketing folk failed to mention the low burden voltage anywhere should get them fired...

I don't think marketing to end-users is Uni-Trend's strong point, or even of interest to them. If you see their product description pages, e.g. http://www.uni-trend.com/UT61E.html , you would think you are looking at a page from 1998 or so. Their end-user service is also something which doesn't help to market their products to end users. They are more interesting in shipping volumes and then like to never hear of the wares again.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45:52 pm »
I considered a UEi 397, but the only place I could find that carries them are rather difficult to deal with.
I considered bidding on this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221131111317

but the seller wanted $20 for shipping.  I also have a non working UEI DM393 so I decided to skip the auction once people started bidding.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:13:59 am »
FYI...DinoDirect was selling two versions of the UT61E.  One with an RS232 cable for ~$60 and one with a USB cable for ~$95.  That probably explains the low price; they're getting rid of the RS232 stock.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 06:24:14 am »
Truth to be told sometimes if somebody wanted to write a program for the meter on the HID cable it's a PITA.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 06:37:49 am »
Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your 71E. I have the 71B and 71D, which are performing to specification.
The D model is a 40,000 count meter, with double the accuracy of the 61E in most ranges and all parameters.
It has AC+DC measurement facility and an internal impedance of 2.5 GigaOhms on the mV range.
Temperature probe and backlight are standard.
The circuitry is much better too, with a better spec DMM chip and a TI microcontroller.
The LCD can display several measurements at once. The D model can store 9,999 samples in memory for datalogging. The meter is sold with a USB cable instead of RS232, as standard.
It has got a peak hold feature and can measure % for the 4-20mA loop current.
I agree that the input protection is a bit whimpy, with 2 glass fuses and 1 PTC, but if it is used on the bench, with low power circuits, as probably intended, this is a perfectly acceptable low cost meter. There is plenty of space on the board to install a 10A HRC fuse, if required, like I have done on my 71B.
My 71D, bought in Hong Kong, came with a 3 year warranty, from a reputable brick and mortar shop.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 06:53:19 am by Wytnucls »

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 07:48:24 am »
I agree that the input protection is a bit whimpy, with 2 glass fuses and 1 PTC, but if it is used on the bench, with low power circuits, as probably intended, this is a perfectly acceptable low cost meter. There is plenty of space on the board to install a 10A HRC fuse, if required, like I have done on my 71B.

I need to disagree here. UNI-T has labelled the UT71E with CAT IV 600V and CAT III 1000V. Hardly an stated intention to be used on low power circuits, "as probably intended". It is also supplied with the power measurement cable which is to be used connected to the mains.

The UT71E has the battery wires passing through holes in the circuit board, less than a millimeter of the input jack circuit traces, twice. If things go wrong the "right" way, there could be flash over from the input jack through the battery. Imagine what will happen with a CAT II or IV circuit dumping all its energy through a 9V battery. Deep groove case overlap and plastic are not going to contain that.

The UT61E is not perfect by any means, but the battery is separated from the input jacks by a good distance, there is actually some consideration in spacing in the input jack traces from the rest of the circuit. It might actually meet its CAT specifications, but I am not stating it will.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:50:32 am by Lightages »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:05:16 am »
The 71 manual says that it complies with IEC61010 safety measurement requirements and it probably does meet the minimum requirements.

“Multimeters and similar devices may not be the source of any danger whatsoever, regardless of the utilized combination of specified input voltages, function settings and range selections. The term danger includes electrical shock, fire, sparking and explosion.
Conformity is substantiated by means of the following test:
The highest specified, rated voltage for any of the device's functions is applied to each pair of terminals, one after the other, in every possible function and range combination. ...
No danger may occur either during or after the test.”

Thus every range must now be protected in accordance with the specified measuring category and input voltage (e.g. 600 V CAT IV).
This was not required in the past. It was permissible to reduce the overvoltage strength of individual measuring functions (e.g. resistance measurement).

Has it got the same safety protections as a Fluke? Obviously not.
We are talking about low cost meters here, to be used indoors, by lay people, looking for something cost effective, without putting their lives at risk. I would be more than happy to use the 71 to deal with anything up to 250 volts. If you feel safer with the 61E, good for you.
As a professional electrician, I wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole, opting instead for a decent Fluke or Agilent.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:21:04 am by Wytnucls »

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 04:40:52 pm »
Truth to be told sometimes if somebody wanted to write a program for the meter on the HID cable it's a PITA.

Nah, it's pretty easy.  There are code frameworks available.  Trying to figure out USB from scratch, on your own?....yes, that is a royal PITA.  Jan Axelson (www.lvr.com) has dummy apps for several programming languages.

Offline snowsnee

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 11:23:57 pm »
UT120A ...

Is very accurate and small just ran thru test just as accurate as my others in calibration voltage ohms.

Just posting..... glad I got for small meter in my case.

Auto ohms works down to a .33 ohms reads it .2 or .3. 1 ohm resistor read perfect 1.00 ohms the rest of tests are right on.

Offline snowsnee

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 11:37:36 pm »
I studied into this owning 2  UT61E's . Doing all the updates external thou. All is fine like it.
Like 120 small one calibration show right on.

Next meter will not be a UT model none that I like.
Not a ..luke to expensive. Had a .........luke 87.

Looking for now not UT thou or luke like the test leads TP224 and the Twist. TP224 thicker wire,... both silicone and nice.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 02:35:43 am »
It is possible to pick a USB-RS232 converter but these are a bit of a gamble as to whether the one you have in your hand will actually do the proper level translations needed.

The FT232RL based cable works rather well.  The problem is simply parity.  The stock logging software insist on opening the port with parity and some USB-RS232 just doesn't do it.

I have since switch to using a home grown JAVA based home grown logger.  That removes the finicky-ness of the USB converter.

The feature I needed was to combine with two other Arduino logs, write direct to disk, and get rid of UT61E's wild reading during range change.  That it also freed me to use any of my two other USB converter for the UT61E was bonus.

Rick

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 11:30:45 am »
I have to down rate it to a good buy for low energy circuit hobby use.

Understanding your intended uses for the meter would have great implication as to if it is for you.

If you are into fancy meters, the Uni-T is not for you.

If you are into doing many interesting things with your meter, that Uni-T can be a great help.

UT120A ...

Is very accurate

2nd that.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline stevetob67

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 02:59:02 pm »
I purchased the UT61E and it arrived today, I also purchased the RS-232 to USB adapter but UNI-T no longer supply the software on CD. Now you have to download a RAR file from their website which is easy to find and download but the file is corrupt. UNI-T do not monitor their support email very well so I don't think I am going to find the software very easily.

Does anyone know of another link to this software? I cannot test my RS-232 to USB adapter without it and I am hping it does the job, it seems to be a reasonable quality adapter cable with decent shielding but again I cannot test  :-//

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:35 pm »

Offline stevetob67

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 10:50:09 pm »
Thank you Mike, will try it now  :-+

Downloaded and unzipped but where is the executable to start it?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:19:55 pm by stevetob67 »

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 11:41:26 pm »
Thank you Mike, will try it now  :-+

Downloaded and unzipped but where is the executable to start it?
You need to run "testController.bat"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf