Author Topic: Umm... Gordak 952D Discussion  (Read 10843 times)

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Umm... Gordak 952D Discussion
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:00:46 pm »

I'm worried i'm in on love.
GOD I LOVE THAT SCREEN
too bad it's contrast is poor therefore you can see the unlighted segments but damn it's lovely

I'm opening this thread wondering if some company in china would make a 858d look like this, i am talking about the looks and not the usage but hell, you can adjust the air with obvious display, this is sex on a stick

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: Umm... Gordak 952D Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:21:20 pm »
It's damn ugly... not only the screen but also the quality of the printing on that front plastic... looks like it's made in Paint.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:32:39 pm »
Easy way to fix that display is to place a small piece of solar film behind the front panel, inside the plastic cover. 20% film will make it pop out nicely, with the dark segments becoming invisible.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:53:54 pm »
too bad it's contrast is poor therefore you can see the unlighted segments but damn it's lovely

You could try to reduce the filament voltage or add a filter. And yes, VFDs are always an eye catcher.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:32:59 pm »
I am confused.  This is obnoxiously ugly.

Edit:

Something along these lines better suits my taste:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:36:44 pm by Time »
-Time

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:38:03 pm »
I like knobs on my stuff if possible. Pushbuttons not my favorite. The flow rate indicator is a good idea.

...mike

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:57:41 pm »
Actually i prefer buttons but the front panel is just ... awful

I only like the VFD, it's sexy as hell

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:05:07 pm »
so we spend 40 $ on a custom VFD and mount a 2$ piece of crap heating element that burns out every 3 hours ...

riiiiight...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 07:09:05 pm »
so we spend 40 $ on a custom VFD and mount a 2$ piece of crap heating element that burns out every 3 hours ...

riiiiight...

Yeah... It's not 2$ anyway but i get your point

I would love to see a Hakko with a VFD but i would also prefer to pay slightly higher price for a original heating element in the box.
Or maybe just walk out and buy one. ANYWAY, my 2 936 clones which seem overused already is okay with the abuse i have been giving them two.
Sadly the 858D which was bought in china died within 1month, yeah it shat it's own triac because of terrible heatsink design that doesn't work in this kind of hot humid planet... The next time either i will use a bigger heatsink(which i did) either that or switch on A/C everytime i fire that thing up (Yes, using that thing does heat up my room quite considerably after 30minutes, 600W is some power)

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:11:00 pm »

Then you are obviously the target market for this particular variation of cheap Chinese junk rework station.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:12:50 pm »
My station has a knob with numbers. I like it between 4 and 5. I even put a little blue dot there so I don't forget.

...mike

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:17:33 pm »

Then you are obviously the target market for this particular variation of cheap Chinese junk rework station.

Nah, i'm not buying it. It's cheap "junk" but if it works i'm not too terribly sorry.
If it fails it's not hard to repair internally but with a CHINA-MADE VFD, i'm staying away.
Would be good if Hakko made a VFD style station but that costs money and is not easy to repair,
ah well, can't have everything i guess.
I still don't understand how weller can make such EXPENSIVE station when their quality is dropping and the LCD is getting outdated.
NOTE TO WELLER,PACE,ERSA,METCAL,HAKKO,JBC: PLEASE USE A TOUCHSCREEN COLOR LCD IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO MAKE A THOUSAND DOLLAR SOLDERING STATION

My station has a knob with numbers. I like it between 4 and 5. I even put a little blue dot there so I don't forget.

...mike

It's knobs for my fan speed but mostly knobs. OH WAIT , "4 and 5" I presume you are a guitarist of some sort ?
I have to turn up my 936 clone to 11.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »

riiiiight...

Or we got our hands on a bunch of surplus VFDs, maybe rejects from another manufacturer. Lets add them to out station with that $2 crap heating element.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »

riiiiight...

Or we got our hands on a bunch of surplus VFDs, maybe rejects from another manufacturer. Lets add them to out station with that $2 crap heating element.

Yeah and throw it on some board with a reject triac and a 5cent heatsink plus some 1cent opamp.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 07:55:54 pm »
So get a JBC.  VFD display, extreme performance and quality. ;D

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 08:09:59 pm »

...mike

It's knobs for my fan speed but mostly knobs. OH WAIT , "4 and 5" I presume you are a guitarist of some sort ?

Mine is an original Gordak 952, it's getting on 3 years old minimum. It has the diaphragm pump, with a small nozzle the air moves really well. I don't use the soldering iron I like my Weller. That said it's still working and has a lot of hours on it so no complaints.

The panel has the numbers 1-10 printed around the knob. It's what we old timers like to cal an FCI or Flow Control Indicator (not an actual flow rate, or anything actually). I see the digital one is similar.

...mike

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:41 pm »

...mike

Mine is an original Gordak 952, it's getting on 3 years old minimum. It has the diaphragm pump, with a small nozzle the air moves really well. I don't use the soldering iron I like my Weller. That said it's still working and has a lot of hours on it so no complaints.

The panel has the numbers 1-10 printed around the knob. It's what we old timers like to cal an FCI or Flow Control Indicator (not an actual flow rate, or anything actually). I see the digital one is similar.

...mike

Oops.

So get a JBC.  VFD display, extreme performance and quality. ;D
A blue VFD not a green VFD and anyway, I don't really want to spend big bucks

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 01:38:22 am »
Blue to green is usually as easy as a simple filter change.

The LED 7 seg on my Weller WESD-51 drives me bananas! PWM or multiplexing refresh flicker is quite noticeable. A 3 digit VFD would have  given this station a nice classy look without the exorbitant cost of a custom vfd. The current led solution in the wesd-51 gives the impression of incompetence and lack of attention to detail. My 2¢ fwiw.
-sj

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 02:19:39 am »
Blue to green is usually as easy as a simple filter change.

The LED 7 seg on my Weller WESD-51 drives me bananas! PWM or multiplexing refresh flicker is quite noticeable. A 3 digit VFD would have  given this station a nice classy look without the exorbitant cost of a custom vfd. The current led solution in the wesd-51 gives the impression of incompetence and lack of attention to detail. My 2¢ fwiw.
-sj

On a station that costs 300$ here... HMM .

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 04:17:43 am »
Actually it is $1 in bulk of 25 pieces if you are talking about nichrome heaters in ceramic sleeve. They burn out quickly because they are usually over-driven. Couple with the right AC transformer they can last quite long.

riiiiight...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf