Author Topic: Silicon Chip VSD project  (Read 3859 times)

Offline steve_wTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Silicon Chip VSD project
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:39:37 am »
Has anyone had a look at this?

I am interested but I haven't touched power electronics for a long time.  Im interested in the pool pump mode, will it save money or is it just a nice science project?

are there cheaper alternatives?

regards

Steve W
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Silicon Chip VSD project
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:41:34 am »
Would like to see this as well, especially a single phase motor only unit that can be easily retrofitted to a PSC pool pump motor.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:06:45 am »
It looks a bit dogey to me, from the pictures in the may silicon chip the workmanship is not up to standard.

the mains wiring is just twisted and stuck in the terminal block, I would like to see crimped terminals and the design of the motor connector is not waterproof, they went to the trouble of having an IP65 enclosure and put a non IP65 plug ?  its like being pregnant you are or you arent, and its really hard to get unscrewed!!

In their defence it is a prototype and they can't predict what environment it will be installed in so maybe I'm being a bit harsh.  I'm sure that I will be told I am.

So come on all you experts in power electronics experts is this thing any good?

regards

Steve W

Offline bazzatron

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:05:15 am »
Working in the electrical industry for many years and have had extensive experience with the installation of and troubleshooting Variable Speed Drives.
Commercial manufacture of these units entails many man hours and a lot of R&D dollars to get to the levels of reliability etc of these units.
Speed control of AC rotating machines is a field where the basic theory has not changed for quite some time. it seems this system of Silicon Chip design uses tried and trusted basic design theory.eg use of the third harmonic.
I would be inclined to wait and see what if any problems are caused such as hash feedback into the mains or radiated hash from unshielded cables to motors arrises before rushing out and building it.
Having said the above dont let me put you off of what seems to be a very interesting design just dont expect the same operational parameters available in a comperable good commercial unit.eg ABB,Mitsubishi,General Electric.
If price is right Approx $200 for the kit i think i would build it but would only load it to about 1Hp and connect it to a 3Phase machine, something like that used on a small metal lathe.
I hope you have found these comments usefull.
 :)Bazzatron :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:31:13 am »
Thanks for the feedbacl, I share your concerns about emi, there isnt much filtering on the motor side, I will indeed wait for feedback, from constructors.

I have had a look whats for sale and the price isn't that far away from cheaper commercial units.

regards

SW

Offline kaindub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:03:03 pm »
I know the designer of this project, having worked with him many years ago.
He really knows his stuff about VSD.
His projects included VSD for use on the Tangarra trains, so he knows how to design for reliability.
Robert

Offline bazzatron

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:39:14 pm »
very interesting to hear someone giving a personal recommendation for the designer.
I look forward to seeing how this project progresses and its viability outcomes.
Maybe we will have a winner in the making and one in the eye for the commercial units.
It all comes down to price and if Altronics or Jaycar will pick it up and run with it kit wise.
If not it will need to be priced and builtup piece by piece by interested parties.
I believe it holds enough promise to be run as a kit by the aforementioned companies but time will tell.

:)B :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:07 pm »
I havent seen this released as a kit,  I speculate that this is not being released as a kit for risk of injury.

Hope there is a kit done though

regards

SW

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf