Author Topic: REVIEW - Ideal 61-025 VoltAware  (Read 3233 times)

Offline David_AVDTopic starter

• Super Contributor
REVIEW - Ideal 61-025 VoltAware
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:57:17 am »
I bought an Ideal 61-025 VoltAware voltage detector pen/stick from TRIO Smartcal today.

This simple device is rated to detect in the 40Vac to 1000Vac range.  The LED in the tip changes from steady green to flashing red upon detection of voltage.

It also has a beeper that sounds in unison with the red LED.  The beeper function can be toggled on/off by pressing the small button on the tip, but defaults to on each time it's powered up.

The detection tip has a blade shape to it so you can stick it into power points, etc.  Batteries were supplied with the unit.

About the only thing that is slightly annoying is the 3 position twist action.  It goes from OFF to ON positions at the extremes, but has a battery removal position in the middle.  This means if you twist it just one click from ON or OFF, the case starts to separate a little.  It's only a minor niggle and as long as you twist it fully CW or CCW while holding both halves there's no real issue.

I gave it a quick test and it seems to work well.  There is a knack for using on multi-core cables where the active wire may be masked by the neutral and earth.  As long as you don't just point the tip at one spot on the cable it always seems to find the AC.  Moving it along/around the cable under test is a must.

So, overall I'm happy with the unit.  A good addition to the service van tool kit.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: REVIEW - Ideal 61-025 VoltAware
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:03:57 am »
Did you test the 40VAC claims with a variac?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:47:35 am »
No, but I could do that tomorrow.   I'll see at what voltage the detection drops out.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 12:25:25 am »
OK, I've just tested the probe with a variac over a 0 to 275Vac range.

It will detect 40Vac but only if the probe is pretty much up against the bare conductor (no insulation).

The detection of 110Vac was somewhat hit and miss with a standard double insulated 3 core mains cable.

At 200Vac + detection seems very reliable even on thicker cable insulation.  I hope that helps.   :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 04:51:25 am »
Seems to have the same sensitivity as the stud finder I bought.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf