Author Topic: can I use tek p6205 with my DSOX2002 ?  (Read 3280 times)

Offline eevblogfanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
can I use tek p6205 with my DSOX2002 ?
« on: May 19, 2013, 09:21:27 pm »
hey

I have tek p6205 on hand and seem like that used amplefier on the output . so supply vltage rails are needed and so as others (?) ,

can someone tell me wether that's possible to use those probes without having to be tuned to the teks scopes ?

thanks !

alm

Re: can I use tek p6205 with my DSOX2002 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:29:04 pm »
It needs DC power on the pins around the BNC connector and 50 ohm termination at the scope end. The pin-out for the Tekprobe interface is here. Tek used to make an external power supply, model 1103, that just contained some three terminal regulators to make the various voltages. It tends to be quite expensive on the used market.

The hardest part about a DIY solution is probably getting a PCB with the correct plating, mounting it at the correct distance in front of the BNC connector, and maintaining the 50 ohm impedance (a feed-through or female crimp connector would probably be ideal here).

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:23:39 pm »
If you had a 3000x series, Agilent took care of it for you already.
http://www.home.agilent.com/en/pd-1912818-pn-N2744A/t2a-probe-interface-adapter?&cc=US&lc=eng

But it looks like the 2000x series doesnt have an active probe interface :-/ If someone on here could get you a high res photo of a tekprobe connector on the scope, with a scale, you could get a PCB made up with goes around the perimeter of something like http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/BNC-Male-to-Female-Connector-p/bnc-mf1.htm as Alm suggested. As far as the plating is concerned, use OSHpark to get your pcbs and you get charged by the square inch, gold plating, and 3 copies, so overall it shouldnt be bad for this project.

As for getting the distance right, you have a probe already, so put the PCB on bnc adapter piece, connect it to the probe, use tape to compress the pins partially, and tweak it till its straight, and use something like http://www.amazon.com/Weld-8267-S-SteelStik-Epoxy-Putty/dp/B000786GLM to secure it. Its a putty so it wont run to where its not supposed to be, an. From there just make/buy a small linear power supply to feed +/-5 and 15 to the board.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:25:59 pm by ConKbot »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

alm

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 08:40:15 pm »
That should be easy to get working, since the P6205 doesn't support the offset feature anyway. At $200, the price is similar, if not more, than the used value of a P6205. Selling the probe and buying one with an external power supply might make more sense in that case. Agilent probes aren't going to work any better, since the DSO-X 2000 doesn't have supplies for Agilent active probes either.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf