Author Topic: Teardown of el-cheapo fluorescent energy-saving lamp  (Read 15504 times)

Online wkbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Teardown of el-cheapo fluorescent energy-saving lamp
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:43:06 pm »
One of my fluorescent "energy saving" lamps just died on me, which obviously gave me an excuse to dismantle it to inspect it's guts.

As you can see, really high-quality soldering, but oh-so-RoHS compliant  :(  A money saver it for sure was not, typical case of infant mortality.  >:(  >:(

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Teardown of el-cheapo fluorescent energy-saving lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »
So what died? Bridge diodes, transistor and of course the fusible resistor. Capacitor may have gone open circuit as well.

Online wkbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:00:05 pm »
So what died? Bridge diodes, transistor and of course the fusible resistor. Capacitor may have gone open circuit as well.

I have not tried to troubleshoot it.  I did notice some rather lousy soldering on both one through-hole component as well as a multiple SMD components.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:26:54 pm »
What do you expect from a product made by the cheapest supplier using the cheapest parts, assembled by the lowest cost poorly trained labour using the cheapest equipment. Amazing that most work when you buy them, as I often have faulty ones in a big batch, so I prefer to pay more for the better quality ones.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:04:46 pm »
so I prefer to pay more for the better quality ones.
what is better quality brand? i have bunch of philips flou's that died, almost the same circuit as posted above. now i have in stock many type of brand, each time i replace, i will write the date on it, so i can check which one will last longer than others. your recommendation may speed this process up dramatically.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:30:06 pm »
I remember reading an article in a magazine that said that poor quality "energy saving" light bulbs might actually waste more power than ordinary light bulbs. This is because they would produce harmonics on the mains that would cause parts to heat up and waste power.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »
I remember reading an article in a magazine that said that poor quality "energy saving" light bulbs might actually waste more power than ordinary light bulbs. This is because they would produce harmonics on the mains that would cause parts to heat up and waste power.
You mean they have a poor power factor.

Any fluorescent lamp under 100W will not have a power factor correction unit which is the case for all CFLs.

I doubt they really waste more power than the equivalent incandescent, even when the power factor is taken into account.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 07:45:48 pm »
You mean they have a poor power factor.

Any fluorescent lamp under 100W will not have a power factor correction unit which is the case for all CFLs.

I doubt they really waste more power than the equivalent incandescent, even when the power factor is taken into account.
Not the power factor, but the switching they used would cause harmonics on the mains, causing parts of the supply chain (transformers and the like) to heat up. Harmonics are covered considered under EMC legislation.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:47:06 pm »
The real issue with CFLs is the vastly increased complexity of manufacture and consumption of resources (look at all those disposable electronics in every lamp). Even if they get recycled they will be shipped by the container load to China where they will be processed in human misery factories. Then of course there is the mercury content, multiplied by the billion for every lamp made. Sometimes when the lamps fail they overheat and cause fires, leading to further costs.

CFLs are born out of politics, not science, and few political decisions are good ones.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 07:48:56 pm »
CFLs are born out of politics, not science, and few political decisions are good ones.

Amen to that - CFLs, Lead free solder, the list goes on.

Neil

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 08:37:29 pm »
it's time to switch to led lights ...
I'm pretty sure the quality of the led lights supply is not more than this cfl light,
but at least it consumes really less power...

Offline siliconmix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 08:43:09 pm »
the bumf on these energy saver bulbs  is that they last ten years .my arse.3 to 5 average i've experienced.i'd take them back but i forget where i bought them.great things mind use less juice you just have to put up with falling down the stairs every no and then ;D

Offline oliver602

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 08:48:43 pm »
Wouldn't it be better to have the electronics in the light fitting instead of attached to the bulb? more room to keep cool etc, less waste. Besides 'lack of adoption'(are there domestic fittings like this available? I can't find any) is there a technical reason for this?

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:31:10 pm »
Not the power factor, but the switching they used would cause harmonics on the mains, causing parts of the supply chain (transformers and the like) to heat up. Harmonics are covered considered under EMC legislation.
I don't think you understand, the poor power factor and switching noise are separate issues.

High frequency noise generated by the switching transistors, doesn't travel very far and doesn't cause any problems in the power supply chain but it can interfere with other pieces of equipment: radio, TV, etc.

The poor power factor is a result of the current drawn by the CFL not being in proportional with the mains voltage. The input of a CFL consists of a bridge rectifier with a capacitor connected across it. Current is only drawn from the mains when the voltage is 0.7V greater than the voltage on the capacitor so the resulting current waveform consists of high current peaks every time the mains voltage passes through 90o and 270o.

The distorted current waveform causes problems in the electrical supply chain: the high current pulses and associated harmonics cause greatier heating in transformer cores and triple-n harmonics add together in the neutral conductor, resulting in a higher current than predicted.
Wouldn't it be better to have the electronics in the light fitting instead of attached to the bulb? more room to keep cool etc, less waste. Besides 'lack of adoption'(are there domestic fittings like this available? I can't find any) is there a technical reason for this?
You can buy lamp fixtures with built-in drive electronics for CFLs. The problem is, the ballast has to be matched to the tube so you can't put a 7W tube into a fitting designed for a 15W lamp and most CFLs are designed to retrofit fitting designed for incandescents.

I suppose it's possible to develop a system to tag each CFL so the ballast knows the power rating and delvers the correct current but it's probably not worth the development cost and standardising it wouldn't be easy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:38:03 pm by Hero999 »

Offline PStevenson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 10:23:32 pm »

these are pretty cool things for salvagers like myself, minus the hardware of course there are enough parts in a CFL to make a really nice treble booster overdrive for guitar.

where I live these things actually come in the post from the council for free (I didn't request them they just send them, I don't know why and when I contacted them, they didn't know why either, nor did they stop) so having gained a cupboard full of the things I started dismantling them, I don't use them much since I started using LED lights, definitely worth salvaging from if you're that type.
I learned more from the EEVBlog than I did in school
http://youtu.be/s-TK0zaakNk
 Amp Hour Theme Song Full Version http://youtu.be/buKg2eAX4Z0

Offline jerry507

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 07:17:34 am »
where I live these things actually come in the post from the council for free (I didn't request them they just send them, I don't know why and when I contacted them, they didn't know why either, nor did they stop) so having gained a cupboard full of the things I started dismantling them, I don't use them much since I started using LED lights, definitely worth salvaging from if you're that type.

In Iowa, the power company sends them to you for free if you ask them. They hate building new power plants because of the cost and risk, so they'd much rather have homes drawing a lot less energy to make room for industry. The US will start phasing out incandescent bulbs in 2014, I gather a few countries like Australia and others have already started. Despite naysayers, this is quite a good thing :)

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 08:56:05 am »
CFLs are rather a kludge of a replacement for incandescants, though.  A sort of "where's the worst possible place to put an electronic ballast."  Sigh.  And few fixtures are well-designed for CFLs.  And the brightness claims are frequently bogus and usually not enough (I used to have a 200W desk lamp and 300W halogen torchieres.  The energy efficient replacement is "remodel the house." (the kitchen is nice.  three dual four-foor t12 tube fluoresents in the ceiling, plus small t5 fluorescents under each cabinet, plus occasional halogen spots.  All I need is an extra 12 inches between floors, and I could do that everywhere. (but let's not get started on what building codes actually require!)) (actually, the replacement is "use twice as many lamps and put up with it being dimmer.")

For CFL, I rather like Ikea for both their bulbs and fixtures, though I usually end up buying the cheap CFLs at the local bulk store.  In general, I haven't found name-brands to be significantly better than no-names.   Nor cheap lights with external electronic ballasts to be that much more reliable than CFLs (just ... much harder to fix.)  The "obvious" failures involve swollen and burst electrolytics, but I don't know for sure whether that was the initial failure or a result of failure somewhere else; there are frequently other failures as well  (but: component with finite and exponentially decaying lifetime based on temperature, stuffed inside a lamp base...)

It'd be interesting to see a series of projects (for hobbyists) based on CFL guts...

Online wkbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 09:24:51 am »
Believe it or not: #2 out of a batch of 3 said 'pop' this morning. Apparantly something in the electronics went south  >:(

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 10:35:21 am »
kinda looks like you could get a few bits of a switch mode supply out of it, but the real question on my mind is, if one went and redesigned those boards with ceramic caps, and to be all the more reliable, would it exceed or fall short of the cost of replacing the crappy ones every few months

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 12:12:40 pm »
I still cannot understand why people loose time and money to build, buy and fix these cfl lights
the led lights are more interesting in many points ...

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 06:05:43 pm »
I can't get a 75W equivalent LED light for a reasonable price, and that's about the minimum that I need for many fixtures.

Also, existing LED lights aren't living up to their promises either; many use inferior quality LEDs whose output degrades quite rapidly, efficiency is similar to CFLs, and the power supplies are frequently subject to the same problems as CFL ballasts (more electrolytic caps near heat-emitters.)
(The electrolytics in question typically rectify the 60cycle mains to HVDC, prior to a fancy (or not) switching circut that does voltage conversion and/or current limiting.   I don't think ceramics are a viable alternative there.)

(An interesting idea is to convert to rectified HVDC in the fixture, using nice big caps far away from most of the heat.  That should reduce some heating in the lamps themselves (ripple current in the caps), prevent cap failures from being so noticeable (the following circuits would get DC anyway), and avoid the emissions problems that might be caused by long wires leading from the electronic ballast to the lamps.  And it would be backward compatible with existing lamps that have full-wave rectifiers anyway.  And it wouldn't even add a lot of cost to the fixture.  You could even do a magic snake-oil "extend the life of your CFL bulb" cord-wart thing that might actually work.  PROVING that it works might be a problem.  And I suspect that there are all sorts of regulatory issues involved (sigh.))

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 06:53:52 pm »
I've noticed that all the CFL bulbs on the shelf say "not dimmable", and all the LED bulbs I've looked at say "dimmable". So I'm not sure what circuit topology the LED bulbs use but I suspect it is very simple. If the circuit tried to regulate power to the LEDs it would fight against the dimmer switch.

The LEDs I've seen are in the $15-$20 price range if not more, and that seems a bit high for uncertain quality and technology (even with a brand name like Philips).

Online wkbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 07:11:04 pm »
Yup, mine are definitely stamped "non-dimmable"

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 10:34:16 pm »
The LED lamps go "pop" as well - they also cram electrolytics into a small, hot, space.

Here's one I fried (well, it fried itself) earlier - a 3x3W GU10 jobbie. Don't know what died exactly - there's a dead short across the bridge output. I assumed that it was the cap but that's still reading OK. Won't know whether it's gone high resistance until I build an ESR meter but it's reading 4.6uF. If you look carefully you can see where the track on the mains side of the bridge tried to act as a fuse. Not sure what the blue thing is - PTC or fuse, presumably, but it's insides are liberally blown all over the electronics.

Active components, for interest, are - MB6S 0.5A BR, 9910B LED driver, SM2N60 n-channel FET, and a MURS160T3G power rectifier (marked U1J). Oh and a zenner of some sort but being SMD all I have to go on is the Z1 label on the PCB printing.

Circuit looks straight off the 9910B data sheet.

The LED chips themselves are OK so I'm just trying to figure out how best to reuse them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:40:19 pm by grumpydoc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf