Author Topic: Stand for Screwdriver / pliers / cutters  (Read 12044 times)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Stand for Screwdriver / pliers / cutters
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 10:33:44 pm »
Not aware of one that does both really well (so many differing requirements), but there are solutions (DIY that's easy & ready made).

Perhaps the following links will help with either approach.
Plyworx Pliers Cutters Organizer
Wood Stands & Racks for Jewelry Tools (jewelry and watchmaking sources should be particularly useful IMHO).
Rotating Stands (burrs & watchmaker screwdrivers)
Medical cutter rack (for sterilization; could simplify a DIY design out of wood <i.e inverted T to hang cutters & pliers from; seen this done for tweezers>)
Foam Shadowing (expensive if you have it made <custom CNC programming>, but there are DIY solutions out there if you search)

Most of this can be made with a few simple supplies and tools, such as a piece or two of wood, a drill, and appropriate drill bits. Drill press would be nice to keep holes straight, but not absolutely necessary should you opt to DIY a custom solution.  ;) I've found R/C and hobby/craft stores nice local sources for thin wood.

Not mentioned as to what you have or can/can't do, but desk drawers (or a drawer organizer), possibly with trays inside, and even peg board might be alternatives as well.  :-//

Hope this mess helps.  :)

Offline jimjamTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 05:47:02 am »
Thanks for the ideas. I might try the thin wood / drill and see how that goes. Drawer organiser might be OK too.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:02:26 am »
Thanks for the ideas. I might try the thin wood / drill and see how that goes. Drawer organiser might be OK too.
Thought about it a little more, and there are still other alternatives I skipped, such as wrench racks, acrylic sheet (Perspex/plexiglass), magnetic strip, cheap microwaveable bacon trays (robrenz posted this one elsewhere), wood cigar boxes, ...

On the expensive, but very nice side, would be a wood machinist's toolbox, such as those by Gerstner (lots of small felt lined drawers; this is the cheap one, made in China using veneer).

Figured I'd take the "wet spaghetti" approach; throw anything at the wall I can think of, and see if something sticks.  :-DD

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:32:30 am »
I would make it myself , then it will custom fit and also allows handy access to all the parts. I love the complete Wiha screwdriver selection but they are too close too eachother in that holder to be able to see which one to get and easily remove it.
Wiha also has some simple holders for a few screwdrivers that might come in handy, the 260_00 but can't find a price.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 10:58:51 am »
This wooden rack is lovely. I will try making it myself.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WOODEN-PLIER-RACK-STAND-DELUXE-JEWELRY-WORK-BENCH-TOOLS-STORAGE-PLIERS-/161213298470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25890fb726

Magnetic strip might be the easiest to implement since I have a metal rack /shelving and it would not consume shelf space. However, I have some vetus antimagnetic tweezers ($6 for 6 pieces from aliexpress :)) and it doesn't stick to magnet. Might put them separately I guess. I'd probably go for the wooden rack. Awesome!

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 11:22:59 am »
You also not always want your screwdrivers to become magnetized (depends on application and/or personal preference ofcourse).

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 11:35:54 am »
I just have a solid wall of these desk tidys along the back of the bench
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 11:59:38 am »
if you don't mind to have your tools magnetized - then a magnet tool holder is great. i'm using it for the tools i'm using the most and keeping the other tools in a toolbox with drawers.

it's much faster to pick a tool from the magnetic bar than other methods (wooden stand with drilled holes for screwdrivers...etc...). at least for me it's better,  others might have (and actually do have) different preferences ;)

and of course stainless steel tools are out of the game for magnetic holders :D

here's a pic of my magnetic holder setup (it's a cheap magnetic holder - i think i bought it at Lidl, but not sure ;) )

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 01:00:44 pm »

Something like this that is transparent would be good so I can see the tip of the screwdrivers. The advantage is I don't have to make it.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 01:11:15 pm »
Thought about it a little more, and there are still other alternatives I skipped, such as wrench racks, acrylic sheet (Perspex/plexiglass), magnetic strip, cheap microwaveable bacon trays (robrenz posted this one elsewhere), wood cigar boxes, ...

On the expensive, but very nice side, would be a wood machinist's toolbox, such as those by Gerstner (lots of small felt lined drawers; this is the cheap one, made in China using veneer).

Figured I'd take the "wet spaghetti" approach; throw anything at the wall I can think of, and see if something sticks.  :-DD

Nanofrog, I have this one from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=wood+tool+box  I like it but I am now considering something bigger.  Possibly something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-26-in-W-5-Drawer-Chest-H5CH2/203182696?N=5yc1vZc2gkZrd it has an extra 6" in length.  Kjelt, I magnetize all my screwdrivers.  That has always been my preference and never been a issue.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 01:25:59 pm »
Kjelt, I magnetize all my screwdrivers.  That has always been my preference and never been a issue.
Then another idea would be to add small blocks of Neodymium magnets at your selfbuild stand,  look at ebay for some costing $0,20 each

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 01:36:01 pm »
Kjelt, I magnetize all my screwdrivers.  That has always been my preference and never been a issue.
Then another idea would be to add small blocks of Neodymium magnets at your selfbuild stand,  look at ebay for some costing $0,20 each

and why not to buy a ready to go magnetic tool holder ? i bough mine (see my post above) for something like 4 or 5 Euros.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 04:15:26 pm »
I have a small workspace built in a closet. The biggest table I could fit was 30" x 60", so I don't like a lot of stuff cluttering it up. I decided to go with some pegboards for day to day tool storage. I realize you're not in the U.S. but maybe there is something similar available in your area.

These are made from some kind of plastic, probably ABS, and the hooks and clips (several styles are available) fit tightly with very little wobble. The board it self is durable and doesn't tend to crumble and fall apart like the older hardboard type. A little expensive, cost me a bit over $50, but very handy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:26:05 pm by rdl »

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 05:18:53 pm »
Top 3 drawers of a Harbor Freight tool chest (absolutely amazing quality, really) My best organizational purchase ever.
It sits right next to my bench so I don't have to get up to reach anything so it gets put back when not used and does not take up bench space.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:21:43 pm by robrenz »

The following users thanked this post: FrankE

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 05:21:46 pm »
Top 3 drawers of a Harbor Freight tool chest (absolutely amazing quality, really) My best organizational purchase ever.
It sits right next to my bench so I don't have to get up to reach anything so it gets put back when not used and does not take up bench space.
Very inspiring, thanks!

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 05:28:48 pm »
I magnetize all my screwdrivers.  That has always been my preference and never been a issue.
Those of us old geezers who worked on magnetic tape transports scrupulously avoided any magnetized tools. Some even had degaussers for their tools.
Accidentally magnetizing (even partially) any tape guides or heads had a very bad effect on the performance and the recorded tracks.
I still have a couple of old tape recorders and I must remember to demagnitize the tools before working on the head stack.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »
I magnetize all my screwdrivers.  That has always been my preference and never been a issue.
Those of us old geezers who worked on magnetic tape transports scrupulously avoided any magnetized tools. Some even had degaussers for their tools.
Accidentally magnetizing (even partially) any tape guides or heads had a very bad effect on the performance and the recorded tracks.
I still have a couple of old tape recorders and I must remember to demagnitize the tools before working on the head stack.

back in times my second soldering gun had a coil of 2-3 turns instead of the soldering loop - i used that one to demagnetize my screwdrivers in case of need ;)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:36:22 pm »

Something like this that is transparent would be good so I can see the tip of the screwdrivers. The advantage is I don't have to make it.
Something like that exists (example). This particular listing doesn't ship to Australia, but there should be something like what you want, even if it's clear plastic drink cups. FWIW, all kinds of stuff/ideas in office supplies/desk organizers.

Nanofrog, I have this one from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=wood+tool+box  I like it but I am now considering something bigger.  Possibly something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-26-in-W-5-Drawer-Chest-H5CH2/203182696?N=5yc1vZc2gkZrd it has an extra 6" in length.  Kjelt, I magnetize all my screwdrivers.  That has always been my preference and never been a issue.
I like it, and have seen pics of robrenz's tool storage before (drool worthy IMHO).  ;D Prices are decent on both too, so you're not helping matters.  :o  :P Having a box like either of these would be nice, and I'm certainly interested.

My efforts have been focused on keeping as much off of the table surface as possible though. Need to figure out what I'm going to do with what I have first anyway, and go from there (have 3 drawers to mount under the desk & 2 sections of pegboard @ 18"x30" each). Still finishing things up, so I haven't gotten to laying out tool placement yet (place still looks like a disaster area).

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 10:14:47 pm »
This is the Harbor freight unit I have. The quality of this is equal or better than the old Craftsman cabinets I have. The gage of the metal is the same and the drawer slide quality is outstanding. These often go on sale and are an insane bargain. You will find it hard to believe that it was made in China. The only thing is make sure you take all the units out of the boxes at the store and check for shipping damage. The first one I got had a corner crunched so I took it back and got a replacement instantly.  Seriously, you won't find a higher quality unit at any price.

I think I have enough cred on the forum for people to know this is not spam. ;D

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 10:52:55 pm »
This is the Harbor freight unit I have. The quality of this is equal or better than the old Craftsman cabinets I have. The gage of the metal is the same and the drawer slide quality is outstanding. These often go on sale and are an insane bargain. You will find it hard to believe that it was made in China. The only thing is make sure you take all the units out of the boxes at the store and check for shipping damage. The first one I got had a corner crunched so I took it back and got a replacement instantly.  Seriously, you won't find a higher quality unit at any price.

I think I have enough cred on the forum for people to know this is not spam. ;D
I've heard good things about HF's red boxes on garage journal forums as well, especially the 56 in.  :)

Been eyeing these two, should I need something:
30in. Tool Cart (I like that it's mobile, but may be too big to fit where I'd like to put it).
18in. End Cabinet (Better fit location wise, and perhaps add a frame and casters underneath to make it mobile).

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 01:05:58 am »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 01:29:28 am »
Platt is my choice for a carry case. Amazing quality crazy number of inserts.

http://www.plattcases.com/cindex.asp

Offline Ghydda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 09:27:48 pm »
Some nice DIY ideas can be found here.
I use a lot of these. I find they are just about perfect for most hand tools. :-+
Tools such as hammers, large pliers and crimp-tools though won't fit well or at all though.
If we learn from our mistakes then I reckon I'm getting a great education!

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 10:38:54 pm »
I've tried a bunch of different ideas but never end up happy with anything sitting on my bench because I have limited space which I need to be able to keep clear for jobs. I've resorted to using trays on my bench suitable for smaller tools like tweezers/spudgers etc, which usually remain on my bench anyway. For drivers/sockets, scissors, pliers and cutters I need access to them both for my bench and leaving my office to perform jobs in our workshop, so I use a tool chest which sits next to my bench with enough space that I can open drawers from my chair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf