Author Topic: Elnec adapter pinouts  (Read 1816 times)

Offline dorkshoeiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Elnec adapter pinouts
« on: March 02, 2023, 09:52:03 pm »
Is anyone aware of a resource which lists the pin mappings for any of the Elnec adapters? Obviously this isn't anything Elnec would ever release  :-DD   

I need a PLCC44 to DIP44 adapter to program an Altera CPLD.  The device is supported with the official adapter is 70-0041 which I notice is a double stacked PCB design so no idea if there is a more complex mapping going on versus a generic adapter such as this?

Are there better (ideally "open source") approaches to programming these kinds of older devices?

Offline asis

• Regular Contributor
Re: Elnec adapter pinouts
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 06:30:22 pm »
Hi,

Based on the fact that some chips were produced in different packages
(Altera EP900 -- EP910I PLCC44 = EP900 -- EP910 DIL40), then it is quite possible to try to perform pin swapping using DIL40 as a basis.

But the pin to pin wiring may not give you anything, moreover, it is possible that the adapter is protected by a chip (DS28E02; DS2430A; DS2432A 1-WIRE).
It is more correct to ask: "did anyone try to read DS28E02 from a chip adapter?"

Many people have been outraged by Elnec's policy for a long time and you, as far as I remember, participated in this discussion.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/new-beeprog-2-disappointment/

In my practice, such techniques have been obtained (BeeProg 2C).

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 06:40:36 pm »
The best you can do is sell this garbage and buy something else that does not extort you on every different IC and uses universal adapters instead. Also you need EEPROM dump too as most of them come with onboard EEPROM AFAIK. Besides wasting your money they are wasting your time as you need to order new adapters every time you need to program something different even if you already have 5 adapters for the same package, and hope it's in stock. Frankly I'm surprised they are still in business with this approach. Probably they have a few of whale customers spending ridiculous money on these.

Offline asis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 08:00:31 pm »
wrapper

If you are telling me, then I will always have time to sell this, as you say, garbage.
And, here to buy something - hardly.

The curtain fell, however.

Something @dorkshoei did not want to sell his BK Precision 866.
"What we have - we keep, having lost - we cry" (Folk)
Everyone wants to make more money - at any cost.

DALLAS DS28E02 is not just EEPROM (1-Wire SHA-1 Authenticated).

Advantech also asks for money for SW LabTool for two years of operation under WIN7-10.

Might be interesting:

https://habr.com/en/post/320870/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 09:10:59 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/new-beeprog-2-disappointment/
I'd forgotten about that thread.     I've been happy with my 866 (original Beeprog).  I paid $150 shipped for it new,  via a FOAF who worked for BK.   At the time my need was just EPROMS and still mostly is. Also, the 866 is the Beeprog.    So it predates the sillyness of the Beeprog2 although of course the adapter situation was never great.   Also I'm asking about PLCC44 not TSOP48.

To actually answer my own question here: I'd actually missed a comment from @coromonadalix on that thread which may be useful.   I'll reply on the other thread.

The situation with Elnec is well known.   Lots of companies have policies that seem to cause ire in hobbyists.   Elnec clearly don't want the hobbyist business.  I'm not going to waste time getting annoyed by it let alone "outrage"  :=\
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 09:38:01 pm by dorkshoei »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 09:35:29 pm »
The situation with Elnec is well known.   Lots of companies have policies that seem to cause ire in hobbyists.   Elnec clearly don't want the hobbyist business.  I'm not going to waste time getting annoyed by it let alone "outrage"  :=\
It's pain in the ass for business too. And time is money which elnec mercilessly wastes. Unless company only needs to program not more than a few types of ICs it pain to own. For the rice of all elnec adaptors you probably can buy a big ass automated programmer with 10x lower amount of adaptors for the same IC support. The worst part is that like 80% of adapters are not even is stock.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 09:37:45 pm »
It's pain in the ass for business too. And time is money which elnec mercilessly wastes. Unless company only needs to program not more than a few types of ICs it pain to own. For the rice of all elnec adaptors you probably can buy a big ass automated programmer with 10x lower amount of adaptors for the same IC support. The worst part is that like 80% of adapters are not even is stock.

I'm just asking if anyone has any pinouts for adapters.   I think everyone understands your views on Elnec :)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 09:44:37 pm »
The device is supported with the official adapter is 70-0041
From the looks of it on photo, it has matching pins between dip/plcc. Also it's listed as universal, so shouldn't have trickery.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 09:46:35 pm by wraper »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 01:19:41 am »
sadly for now, i can put my finger on it

and now  some beeprog models and software are in EOL

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 02:15:54 am »
The device is supported with the official adapter is 70-0041
From the looks of it on photo, it has matching pins between dip/plcc. Also it's listed as universal, so shouldn't have trickery.
I was more interested if the cheap version on AliExpress (link in OP) might work.      The fact that the Elnec one is "universal" implies to me that the AliExpress one will also work but ......

Offline asis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 08:36:34 am »
dorkshoei

I suggest that you turn to the community with a request to show the adapter 70-0041 (70-0275) from all angles, whoever has it, it would be interesting to see it yourself.
This will help you find a solution faster.
BTW which CLPD do you want to program?

I have some pin swapping tables, but they refer to Advantech LT48 as far as I remember.
I have never seen something like this for Elnec, Dataman, BK Precision & etg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 05:56:28 pm »
I suggest that you turn to the community with a request to show the adapter 70-0041 (70-0275) from all angles, whoever has it
I assumed anyone here with the adapter (I specified the part#) seeing this thread would speak up.   I'm not aware of better forums for finding Elnec users, maybe you are? There is a dataman forum but it's someone posts a question and dataman answers, not really a community plus I doubt they'd appreciate this question given it's subtext.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf