Author Topic: Slide rule  (Read 255 times)

RAPo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mzdenkovTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Slide rule
« on: Yesterday at 07:05:38 pm »
Hi,

I've bought this slide rule from the pictures bellow for my collection.
It has some scales that i haven't seen before. Do you have any
idea for what it was used for?

Best Regards.
To Solder or not to solder, that is the question!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Slide rule
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:20:14 pm »
For various types of power calculations, based on measurements from RF receivers and audio amplifiers.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mzdenkovTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:36:41 pm »
Thank you kind Sir.

Now i have a clue where to look next for more info how to use it in "basic" calculations.

Best regards.
To Solder or not to solder, that is the question!

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:12:16 pm »
For various types of power calculations, based on measurements from RF receivers and audio amplifiers.

I agree. 50 Ohms is a common impedance for receiver inputs and for RF transmission lines.  I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought audio systems commonly used 66 Ohms for low impedance inputs and outputs.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:19:27 pm »

I agree. 50 Ohms is a common impedance for receiver inputs and for RF transmission lines.  I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought audio systems commonly used 66 Ohms for low impedance inputs and outputs.

600ohms was common for audio frequency equipment, e.g see the bottom right socket on a HP651A oscillator

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:48:29 am »

600ohms was common for audio frequency equipment, e.g see the bottom right socket on a HP651A oscillator

Ahh.  You're right. It's been so long since I worked around any audio stuff that I didn't remember the right number.   :-+

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:21:31 am »

Nice Wein!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf