Author Topic: RF4 1000W hot air rework station "RF-H2" $125  (Read 5056 times)

Offline thm_wTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
RF4 1000W hot air rework station "RF-H2" $125
« on: September 21, 2022, 01:11:30 am »
Mid way between an 858D and a Quick/Atten 862 comes this for $122.

General:
- Power: 850W, might be higher, heats up too fast to tell. For comparison 858D is 500-600W peak, and 2-300W under normal use
- Fan speed: claimed 50L/min. Small brushless fan inside, quiet, slightly high pitched whirr. 50% more powerful than 858D? I don't have a way to measure.

- Tips: just the standard crappy/cheap screw to tighten tips. There is a collar on the end of the handle, as if they considered using a different style?
- Grounding: yes, usual thin gauge wire, but tip and case were earthed.

- Desk space: the unit itself is much smaller than the Quick and similar massive devices (which have no need to be that big, its just empty space inside). However, the handpiece tube comes out the right side, which is bad as that takes up more desk space. I think they could easily have it coming out the front or the back instead.

UI:
The UI is a bit odd, but should work well if you only need the 3 presets.
- Press CH1/2/3 once to see what its settings are, press again to load those settings
- Long press CH1 to change C/F
- Long press CH2 to calibrate the temperature reading
- Long press CH3 to turn on and off the beeper (setting won't persist after reboot though..)

Sleep:
- Set down the handle into cradle, usual magnet switch detects, and runs fan at 100% to cool off.
- Buttons do nothing when in sleep

PCB info:
- BTA20800CW 800V 20A Triac
- Unmarked TQFP 32 micro
- Transformer with buck PCB (why do they always use a transformer in these things?)

Comparison 858D:
- For what I'm using it for, not much difference from the 858D, since I don't max the fan speed on that. Although, at the higher air flow settings (80%+) its much faster.
- If you already own a 858D, and its good enough for you, probably no need to rush out and upgrade. The handle is lighter than 858D, but, you have that thick tubing making it awkward to move around, so to me there is not much difference.
- Temperature accuracy: need to check

The killer cheap station, in my eyes, would be a high end 858D with silicone wiring, better brushless fan, and easy swap tips. That would be great for ~$100-150. But I think what they've done here is good too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004320376667.html
or Daves affiliate link: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c2LRpe8g and search RF4 SMD

This same brand sells a normal iron, as well as a stereo microscope. IMO I don't think either of those are as notable.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:23:10 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: edavid, crgarcia

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: RF4 1000W hot air rework station "RF-H2" $125
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 03:31:07 am »
How long is the air hose?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 07:31:45 pm »
How long is the air hose?

77cm
Its definitely enough if the station is on your desk, but its poorly thought out. The hose comes out the right side of the station, then has to loop in front of the station if you are right handed.
If you are left handed and have the station on the left side of your desk then it would be good.

The Quick 861DW is 105cm, and the hose on that one comes out the front.

Offline Martini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 02:57:17 pm »
I found it for slightly over 80€ (with shipping and VAT) on Aliexpress, it seems pretty decent value for a (allegedly) 1000 W station with the fan in the base. I'm hoping to reball a BGA chipset (a Snapdragon 888 to be precise) with it.

Is yours still running fine 1.5 year later? Have you pushed it further than you did at first?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 09:47:08 am by Martini »

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 08:58:43 pm »
I found it for slightly over 80€ (with shipping and VAT) on Aliexpress, it seems pretty decent value for a (allegedly) 1000 W station with the fan in the base. I'm hoping to do reball a BGA chipset (a Snapdragon 888 to be precise) with it.

Is yours still running fine 1.5 year later? Have you pushed it further than you did at first?

Still running, use it at least 1-3hr per week.
The only thing I noticed is it sometimes overshoots a fair bit when the temperature is changed (40C), other times doesn't overshoot much. But works fine for my purposes.

Offline Martini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 09:47:43 am »
Thank you!

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2024, 09:43:49 pm »
https://www.diyfixtool.com/products/rf4-rf-h2-h3-h4-h5-lead-free-hot-air-soldering-rework-station

They've released a bunch more models:
- RF4-H3 - new front panel design with 4 presets (nice) and new stand - $180
- RF4-H4 - same thing but with foot pedal control - $200
- RF4-H5 - More compact traditional design, 800W - $90

H5 seems like a decent price, the others don't make too much sense as they compete with established products, and still have the odd side tube deisgn.
Unless you need the foot pedal control for some reason.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf