Author Topic: What the? were B&K thinking when they priced this instrument  (Read 2137 times)

Offline tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
What the? were B&K thinking when they priced this instrument
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:39:56 am »
You can buy the B&K 2540B-GEN scope (a rebranded Atten?) which is 60 MHz bandwidth, built in DDS (20 MHz), 1 GSa/s, for $1195.00.  The B&K has no DPO-type display, and the interface looks like a Rigol - something I'd expect for $350, but not $1200.

You can also get an Agilent 2000X (with free DDS until December 31st), 70 MHz bandwidth, for $1400.00. (Apparently it's cheaper in the US: I just flat converted the GBP quote from Agilent.)

Also, you can get a Rigol DS2000 (70 MHz) for around $839, and add their DG1022 (dual channel arb generator) for $379, bringing the total to $1218.00.

I know which two options I'd prefer so why are B&K pricing their product so high? Do they actually ever sell these? Anything I am missing?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:42:05 am by tom66 »

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
Re: What the? were B&K thinking when they priced this instrument
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:07:21 am »
Yepp.......the marketing guys don't necessarily need to have to think about their releases. Maybe they will joyful celebrate a price drop within the next months that makes it to the best deal ever *irony off*

My brother is working in marketing (studied a mixture of engineering and business administration) and well.....it's horrible what they do there. Last company he worked for was a manufacturer for sensors (IR and inductive where my brother worked) and I could tell you hours about lovely things that turned pretty shitty due to marketing and a few cents extra in the end.

At least we have some alternatives here ;).......

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: What the? were B&K thinking when they priced this instrument
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:53:54 pm »
Scopes of this class are often sold to schools, with can come with a hefty educational discount.   What the final price is could be much smaller, and could make the difference between their clearly outclassed scope and the bigger names.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf