Author Topic: Large hadron collider teardown :)  (Read 3870 times)

Offline WartexTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
Large hadron collider teardown :)
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:36:23 am »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Large hadron collider teardown :)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:53:33 am »
gah, such horrible render distortion :/ still intersting, but feel it could be done much better

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:10:21 am »
I tried watching it but it made me feel ill.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:09:15 am »
Above: The Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) is one of two main detectors at the LHC. It weighs 12,500 tons, measures 69 ft. (21 m) in length and is a key research tool for 2,000 scientists hailing from 37 countries. It was built above ground and lowered into place—a sensible strategy for so massive a piece of hardware.

"Compact"
RIGHT.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:21:52 am »
Compared to standard, which is a million gallon tank of ultra pure water sitting a couple of hundred metres underground in a salt mine, yes.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 08:33:22 am »
I wonder how many cable ties are in that thing
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:48:35 am »
The entire year's output of Tytron Hellerman I would guess.

HLA-27b

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 08:53:22 am »
I am relieved to see pieces of wood and some forgotten washers in there. They are humans after all.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 09:22:19 am »
I would love to see Dave and Mike do a collaborative tear down of that thing. Trouble would be the number of hours required to watch it.
Even the support steel work is a masterpiece of engineering,Looks like submerged arc welds, and those level jacks either end are quite something, then all that wire harness. The label reads PSL engineering and instrumentation University of Wisconsin. Madison. I would have thought that the steel work would have been made in Europe to save transport of such a large fabrication, that steel plate is about ten inch thick.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:34:01 am by G7PSK »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 03:52:12 pm »
tax payers paid for it anyway, so why bother to make it close to the site? :) i would love to see some progress from them suchs as finding new powersource etc if they are messing with atoms anyway and consuming few terawatts of power. but here comes the fun part the peeps should turn off everyhing at home not to waste power from standby power

Offline WartexTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 05:35:52 pm »
I would love to see Dave and Mike do a collaborative tear down of that thing. Trouble would be the number of hours required to watch it.
Even the support steel work is a masterpiece of engineering,Looks like submerged arc welds, and those level jacks either end are quite something, then all that wire harness. The label reads PSL engineering and instrumentation University of Wisconsin. Madison. I would have thought that the steel work would have been made in Europe to save transport of such a large fabrication, that steel plate is about ten inch thick.

Don't mean to diss Dave, but Mike's teardowns are a lot more interesting and he doesn't talk out of his ass if he doesn't know what the part does. He also knows how to interface the weird-ass components to make them work again. Dave just takes shit apart.

Also LHC is FAR, FAR BEYOND what Dave and Mike does, so there is no possible way in their lifetime they can teardown and explain  something that is built on millions on man-hours of labour and research. I think you don't appreciate the complexity of LHC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf