Author Topic: Atten ST-862D 110V hot air station replacement part  (Read 2699 times)

Offline TechnomancerTopic starter

• Contributor
Atten ST-862D 110V hot air station replacement part
« on: August 28, 2021, 03:26:37 pm »
I have an Atten ST-862D hot air station that recently started receiving error code E02. After some poke around the net, and contacting the EU store for Atten, it supposedly means that either the sensor in the handle is bad or the handle isn't making contact with the base unit. When I disassembled the handle to look for this sensor, apparently it is a little glass tube that looks like a fuse but the Atten EU store rep mentioned something about it being a resistor. That little tube either broke when I was trying to take it out or it being broken was the reason the unit was throwing the error. I tried asking the Atten EU people what that part was but they didn't know and sent a request off to the factory in China to see what it is.

Does anyone have a 110V version of this hot air station and happen to know what that part is? I am effectively out of commission until I can get thing thing repaired :(

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
Re: Atten ST-862D 110V hot air station replacement part
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 10:09:22 pm »
This definitely looks like a fuse. Is this wire powering the heating element (would be at mains voltage) or is it a low voltage line? That would tell you if it's a fuse or a sensor.
If not a fuse, then it could be one huge glass NTC thermistor used for ambient temperature that factors into PID regulation. That would definitely throw an error if that were to fail. But then again, it doesn't look the part (not that I know all that much about glass thermistors). You'd need to know its value or calibration would be way off.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 10:02:57 pm »
Its a reed switch.

I'm not sure if its N/C or N/O and what current, assuming its just an IO signal so low current. But they are easily available from ebay, digikey, etc.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/littelfuse-inc/MVSR-20-17-23/7561539
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline highpower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 03:57:52 am »
Its a reed switch.

I'm not sure if its N/C or N/O and what current, assuming its just an IO signal so low current. But they are easily available from ebay, digikey, etc.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/littelfuse-inc/MVSR-20-17-23/7561539

Yes. Reed switch that signals the unit to shut down the heating element when the handle is placed in the holder. I would have to open mine up to check to see if it is N/O or N/C. Might be awhile before I can get to it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 04:33:48 am »
The vast majority of reed switches I've seen have been NO and close when exposed to a magnetic field. It would be easy to verify by temporarily wiring in a regular switch or even just touching the wires together and noting whether it goes into standby.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 07:34:28 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch

There are magnets on both sides of your stand, one of which should be close enough to operate the switch when it's placed in the base.

The one in your picture is dead. You might as well finish removing it. Look for the missing glass bits...you don't want to step on them barefoot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf