Author Topic: QUICK Hot Air Stations - *Update* Alternative needed, can't get Quick in UK.  (Read 28346 times)

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
Re: QUICK Hot Air Stations - *Update* Alternative needed, can't get Quick in UK.
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2015, 08:14:36 pm »
When the ball bounces, does this make a gust of air that blow parts off the board?

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it does. I expect when the heater goes on, your mains is experiencing a slight voltage drop, no different then what happens to your shop vac when you turn on your table saw. If the flow meter wasn't there, would you have even noticed?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:17:18 pm by KL27x »

Offline TheBayTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: QUICK Hot Air Stations - *Update* Alternative needed, can't get Quick in UK.
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2015, 09:27:21 pm »
Yes it's quite significant, it happens as the heater goes on and off and you can hear the pump change and the air flow changes dramatically.
I was doing some work on a motherboard and it was causing me issues.
I sent the video to the seller and they said it should not do this and tested one there.

Voltage today was a solid 242Vac.

When the ball bounces, does this make a gust of air that blow parts off the board?

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it does. I expect when the heater goes on, your mains is experiencing a slight voltage drop, no different then what happens to your shop vac when you turn on your table saw. If the flow meter wasn't there, would you have even noticed?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2015, 09:55:54 pm »
Yes it's quite significant, it happens as the heater goes on and off and you can hear the pump change and the air flow changes dramatically.
If it has removable mains cable with IEC plug, try to change it. I've seen some fake cables with super thin wires which caused very high cable resistance. AFAIK that diaphragm pump is powered directly from the mains voltage through basically dimmer and there must be voltage sag somewhere. Did you measure the mains voltage in the same socket while station was operating?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:04:08 pm by wraper »

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2015, 11:12:06 pm »
Something is wrong with the design, the pump goes faster when the heater voltage is applied  :-DD

Mains power is not fluctuating, checked at the hot air station and the mains socket, rock solid 242Vac, seems the voltage to the heater is pulsed (you can see the heater doing this) and the pump is just controlled via voltage like a light dimmer, but when the heater gets pulsed so does the pump, it makes a pulsing sound!

I've seen some tear down pics of this unit, very basic, looks as if it's all controlled by a very small Atmega on the LED board, no logic on the rear main board just triacs and optocouplers etc, 4 diodes for rectification (how much did they save by not fitting a rectifier lol)

Would love to see the insides of the black version of this unit or the CSI 825.

In fact, I think we should have a hot air thread with their clothes off, I want to see a Genuine Atten 850d and 852d, Aoyue 852A+/++ (Black version) Tenma 850d and REALLY want to see the insides of a the newer style Xytronic LF852D (Claims to have 40l/min pump and 600w heater)

If it has removable mains cable with IEC plug, try to change it. I've seen some fake cables with super thin wires which caused very high cable resistance. AFAIK that diaphragm pump is powered directly from the mains voltage through basically dimmer and there must be voltage sag somewhere. Did you measure the mains voltage in the same socket while station was operating?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:14:05 pm by TheBay »

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2015, 03:34:59 pm »
Replacement has arrived, doesn't have that issue. But this one vibrates too much  |O I can feel it through my work bench!

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2015, 04:09:43 pm »
I'm glad I picked up a Leister buried in the middle of a huge job lot of junk. Hate to think how much they cost new.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2015, 04:10:17 pm »
Replacement has arrived, doesn't have that issue. But this one vibrates too much  |O I can feel it through my work bench!
That sucks.  :(

Perhaps it's time to cut your losses and cobble a good unit out of the two bad ones, then send the remaining defective parts/unit (assembled) back in order to make your deadline.  :-//

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2015, 09:45:10 pm »
Bad one has gone back, though I think this one might be normal and the bad one had quite a balanced pump, looking on youtube this sounds about the same.
Temp control seems good on it, will give it a good run and see if it beds in a bit.

That sucks.  :(

Perhaps it's time to cut your losses and cobble a good unit out of the two bad ones, then send the remaining defective parts/unit (assembled) back in order to make your deadline.  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf