Author Topic: QA-100 Quantassylm oscilloscope ?  (Read 13975 times)

Offline jefflTopic starter

QA-100 Quantassylm oscilloscope ?
« on: March 05, 2012, 04:14:16 am »
Anyone have this unit?

I'm looking for an oscilloscope and a logic analyzer.  I'm mainly working with PIC24 micro controllers and yes I'm a newbie.  Looking for the tools I would use most.  I know a Rigol DS1102E and Saleae Logic / Logic 16 would also be a good choice.  Just wondering if this unit would be a good choice as an all in one unit.

http://www.quantasylum.com/content/Products/QA100.aspx

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: QA-100 Quantassylm oscilloscope ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:49:15 am »
Absolutely useless , check the specs .
http://www.quantasylum.com/content/Portals/0/UploadedFiles/QA100%20Compete%20Summary.png
100MSPS means at most 10MHz , and 1Ksps really ? And i see the screenshots , the application looks rather crappy when it comes to clarity , sorry , i'll prefer a rigol over that .
I know it looks decent but really , Rigol DS1052e/DS1102e Or Atten ADS1102CAL .

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-oscilloscope-and-logic-analyzer-93518
I am only buying this saleae LA DSO clone because it has proper logic probes compared to that wimpy 15$ LA only clone version
But really , i am buying this instead for the 16 channel capability ( beats buying 2 8ch logic analyzers and not being sure if they will work in tandem or not )
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/h301-portable-48mhz-usb-digital-oscilloscope-82005
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:52:19 am by Dave.S »

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:58:32 am »
A USB scope is not a replacement for a stand-alone scope. The fact you need a computer, and you have to wait for the computer to boot, and then the fact you end up with your test circuit connected to the noisy earth of a computer is not a good combination.  Changing settings on a USB scope is a pain too - you want knobs!

There is nothing wrong in buying the scope and logic analyzers as separate tools, and the truth is the logic analyzer will only be pulled out as a last resource measure. For most debugging, you just add debug code to toggle spare/unimportant pins when even a point in the code is reached. The DS1102E is all you need to capture the toggling pins.

I think everyone who gets a USB scope ends up getting a stand-alone scope and then they just don't touch the USB scope again.  USB scopes have their place - they could be perfect in production line use driven by a custom program.

Richard.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:00:54 am »
A USB scope is not a replacement for a stand-alone scope. The fact you need a computer, and you have to wait for the computer to boot, and then the fact you end up with your test circuit connected to the noisy earth of a computer is not a good combination.  Changing settings on a USB scope is a pain too - you want knobs!

There is nothing wrong in buying the scope and logic analyzers as separate tools, and the truth is the logic analyzer will only be pulled out as a last resource measure. For most debugging, you just add debug code to toggle spare/unimportant pins when even a point in the code is reached. The DS1102E is all you need to capture the toggling pins.

I think everyone who gets a USB scope ends up getting a stand-alone scope and then they just don't touch the USB scope again.  USB scopes have their place - they could be perfect in production line use driven by a custom program.

Richard.
Yep . USB scopes are no good . Logic analyzers yes , but scopes no . just no .

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:41:46 pm »
There is nothing wrong in buying the scope and logic analyzers as separate tools,

I agree these cheap USB logic analyses are good value for money, and USB oscilloscopes should be banned by law. One thing which can be annoying when using a separate LA and oscilloscope is the ability to trigger both in sync. Not every LA provides a trigger output.

and the truth is the logic analyzer will only be pulled out as a last resource measure. For most debugging, you just add debug code to toggle spare/unimportant pins when even a point in the code is reached. The DS1102E is all you need to capture the toggling pins.

I don't think it is a last resort. Which debugging tool I use first depends on the symptoms of the error. Often I neither start with the oscilloscope or the logic analyzer, but the in-circuit debugger for the MCU. I know people rather spend half an hour to plaster their code with printf()s or wiggling a pin, instead of the few seconds to attach a debugger. Something I don't get. And in a next step I probably reach for the LA in addition to the debugger.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:43:19 pm »
instead of the few seconds to attach a debugger.
and then what?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline jefflTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 04:42:58 am »
This was the kind of honest feedback I was looking for.  Unfortunately marketing just adds to the confusion when your new.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:50:43 am »
For not much more money, you could get a Rigol scope, and something like the Open Workbench Logic Sniffer which uses the SUMP program.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/open-workbench-logic-sniffer-p-612.html

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 06:19:15 am »
This was the kind of honest feedback I was looking for.  Unfortunately marketing just adds to the confusion when your new.
I forgot to mention above one of the biggest negatives of any USB instruments. The moment you can no longer get drivers, the box is useless. Companies often stop updating drivers very soon after they stop producing a device. So say you updated your PC to a new Windows 8 PC in 12 months. If this model of USB scope is no longer in production then, there may be no drivers that will run under Windows 8. The only way you could keep using it is to set up another dedicated PC running an old operating system.

Well built standalone scopes however often keep working for 20 years+.

Richard.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:13:00 am »
So say you updated your PC to a new Windows 8 PC in 12 months. If this model of USB scope is no longer in production then, there may be no drivers that will run under Windows 8. The only way you could keep using it is to set up another dedicated PC running an old operating system.

I don't like USB scopes either, but for a logic analyzer or some other instrument, you might still very ok with the above scenario. I have a couple of instruments I would be happy to dedicate a small PC for, if I have to. One is the XeroPlus logic analyzer - if I have to pay a couple hundred for a used laptop or something like that, it would double the price of the tool, but it would still be very good value for money. The other is a multichannel channel audio level meter software. That and a multichannel sound card is by far the most handy way to monitor audio amplitude over several channels.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:50:39 am »
I forgot to mention above one of the biggest negatives of any USB instruments.

This is one of the many reasons why I indeed do not recommend USB instruments in general.

My current exception are USB logic analyzers. They became so cheap compared to stand-alone LAs that you can buy a new one every three years for some time and you are still in the black compared to a stand-alone LA.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:54:38 am »
instead of the few seconds to attach a debugger.
and then what?

And then you run your program under debugger control with breakpoints and all that, and - the most important - engage your brain!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:16:03 am »
I forgot to mention above one of the biggest negatives of any USB instruments.

This is one of the many reasons why I indeed do not recommend USB instruments in general.

My current exception are USB logic analyzers. They became so cheap compared to stand-alone LAs that you can buy a new one every three years for some time and you are still in the black compared to a stand-alone LA.
Or you could buy one every week , i saw many saleae clones in white nondescript project-looking boxes that have the pins written on top on aliexpress for 17$ . Yes 17$ for a 8ch LA . Want 16ch ? I saw the cheapest was about 100$ like i mentioned above .

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 10:16:52 am »
I forgot to mention above one of the biggest negatives of any USB instruments. The moment you can no longer get drivers, the box is useless. Companies often stop updating drivers very soon after they stop producing a device. So say you updated your PC to a new Windows 8 PC in 12 months. If this model of USB scope is no longer in production then, there may be no drivers that will run under Windows 8. The only way you could keep using it is to set up another dedicated PC running an old operating system.

Richard.
But ... How long do you want to keep your LA ? Windows 8 is rubbish and i ain't upgrading to that .
If i buy a new laptop i will kindly decline W8 .

alm

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:50 am »
Yeah, sure. People said the same about sticking with DOS, Windows '98, Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000. How many of them are still using it? Just because there was a very long delay between Windows XP and Windows 7, because Vista was way late and failed to gain acceptance with business customers, doesn't mean that you can expect Windows 7 to be supported for 10+ years.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »
Yeah, sure. People said the same about sticking with DOS, Windows '98, Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000. How many of them are still using it? Just because there was a very long delay between Windows XP and Windows 7, because Vista was way late and failed to gain acceptance with business customers, doesn't mean that you can expect Windows 7 to be supported for 10+ years.
By then in 5 years of course you will probably buy a new USB LA already , no ?

alm

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:08 pm »
USB logic analyzers are cheap enough that having to replace them every few years isn't really an issue, as BoredAtWork mentioned, especially since stand alone logic analyzers are quite expensive. It's not so great if you buy a USB scope for $350, compared to a stand-alone scope which would cost about the same.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 10:55:15 am »
USB logic analyzers are cheap enough that having to replace them every few years isn't really an issue, as BoredAtWork mentioned, especially since stand alone logic analyzers are quite expensive. It's not so great if you buy a USB scope for $350, compared to a stand-alone scope which would cost about the same.
Yeah .. And those 17 dollars LA's are really great stuff , nevermind that their  UI might be a little shitty , but it's still usable and at least you could see the waveforms clearly .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf