Author Topic: Power Designs TW5005T  (Read 4721 times)

Offline terabyteTopic starter

• Contributor
Power Designs TW5005T
« on: May 12, 2012, 09:36:13 pm »
So in looking for a good yet inexpensive bench power supply I found this thread;
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/looking-for-goodinexpensive-bench-power-supply/

:D And I scored this for $77 shipped;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200731066755?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I tested the voltage and amperage on both sides and it was pretty stable.  The analog panel meter is a little bit off.

You can see a bunch of pictures here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thespeedphreak/sets/72157629697665418/

All in all I'm quite pleased.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Power Designs TW5005T
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:46:32 am »
NICE!  You can go wrong with a PD of this vintage.  I think this is the same model than Jim Williams has in his desk.  See lower left of photo.  Had I known of this sooner, I would have gotten PD instead of any Chinese supply of similar capacity, it also has programmable outputs at the back, IIRC.  More later on the PD thread.  I managed to track some of the manufacturers of the analog dials, they were GE, made in USA.

Worry not about the analog meters being off, if you are willing break the cal stickers and very likely a screw adjust for the meters is behind it.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »
I think me and Jim have the same bench.  I thought mine was a complete mess but WOW! I guess his mind was always busy with other things.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:12:06 am »
So i have been using this a lot more lately and the pots are horrific.  Any suggestions on what I should try?
I was thinking of replacing them with new 10 turn pots.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:23:55 am by terabyte »

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 04:00:35 pm »
If you are considering replacement why not try disassembling the pots for a real cleaning and lube. You have nothing to loose. Yeah.. I know all pots were not designed to be taken apart but that doesn't mean you can't do it. :-/O

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:44 am »
If you are considering replacement why not try disassembling the pots for a real cleaning and lube. You have nothing to loose. Yeah.. I know all pots were not designed to be taken apart but that doesn't mean you can't do it. :-/O

Well I took your advise and tool the old pot apart. It was beyond help...

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:18:32 am »
So I did some testing with stuff I had lying around :)

new vs. old  :palm:

so the new 10 turn pot is only a 5k which is actually perfect.  the psu now only goes to 26volts but it suits me better as I never really use anything over 20volts.  now I get more resolution out of that pot.  Im going to order another one and do the other side.  Now i just need something to cover the middle of the knob.

this is the pot i used; http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=-930&y=-71&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=gu5021s26
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:30:12 am by terabyte »

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:22:23 am »
sorry just one more thing...

with the pot all the way to the left I get -.12 volts.  the old pot did like -.3.  Its not a big deal but is this something easy to calibrate?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:33 pm »
Now i just need something to cover the middle of the knob.

If it was me, I think I'd try to just glue the two parts of the knob together so that it would look the same as it always did.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf