Author Topic: Agilent 3000x AWG-What can it do?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Agilent 3000x AWG-What can it do?
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:56:28 pm »
What is this generator able to do? I hear it can not be swept or modulated. Can it be programmed using software on a PC?
Just how useful is it?
Thanks.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Agilent 3000x AWG-What can it do?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:00 pm »
I haven't tried to program it from a PC, but I am sure it can be done.

It is just kind of neat when you need a quick wave for testing something and don't want to drag out the standalone AWG (if you even have one...I don't right now).  I would like an Agilent 33522A but can't justify $3,000 for it right now.

The 3000x AWG did have enough memory and resolution to capture my voice and play it back:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:36:57 am »
What is this generator able to do? I hear it can not be swept or modulated. Can it be programmed using software on a PC?
Just how useful is it?

No, it cannot be swept or modulated from an external signal.
In theory you could do that in the ARB software.
Yes, it has PC software for it, but I have not tried it myself.
It's ever so handy for just everyday basic signal generation.

Dave.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:59:35 am »

The whole instrument including the generator is controllable over USB or Ethernet with the expansion board. There is a post somewhere here about sweeping the generator and making signal measurements to characterise filters automatically under PC control.

The generator can be set with full resolution (0.01Hz or whatever) remotely, something which can't be done from the front panel.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:05:52 am »

The whole instrument including the generator is controllable over USB or Ethernet with the expansion board. There is a post somewhere here about sweeping the generator and making signal measurements to characterise filters automatically under PC control.

The generator can be set with full resolution (0.01Hz or whatever) remotely, something which can't be done from the front panel.

Did I miss this?  I just started a thread about writing this software (to do what you just outlined).  I don't want to reinvent the wheel though.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:15:40 am »
Did I miss this?  I just started a thread about writing this software (to do what you just outlined).  I don't want to reinvent the wheel though.

On this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog-specific/new-agilent-scopes/330/ page.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf