Author Topic: Kada 852AD+ Rework/Hot Air/Soldering Station Review  (Read 15582 times)

Offline metalphreakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
Kada 852AD+ Rework/Hot Air/Soldering Station Review
« on: November 02, 2010, 06:08:11 pm »
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster.

Picked up one of these soldering stations a month ago for $120 delivered because I wanted to do some SMD soldering (and I was in desperate need of a proper temp controlled soldering iron!).

Got mine from "bluedragonchina" ( http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390188709591 )

I would "tear mine apart" but I'd like to keep it working, and Kada have a video on youtube showing the construction of an 852D+
It's the same thing but its the older style with a diaphragm pump.

Quick Specs:
Hot Air 100-450deg Celsius Temp Controlled
Soldering Iron 200-480deg Celsius Temp Controlled

The hot air gun on this uses some kind of motor and impeller in the actual handle itself to create the airflow, whereas the older ones use an internal pump and an air tube to the handle (which has the heating element inside). The holster also has a magnet in it which activates a switch in the handle when you set it down, causing it to cut power to the heater and it continues to force air until it cools to 100deg. Temperature control seems to work fairly well and the air speed at max speed is quite good. Mine came with 3 different sized round nozzles which is all you really need. I've stuck the smallest one on there and not changed it since. You can get special nozzles depending on the chip package type, but unless you have other nearby heat sensitive components you don't need them.

The soldering iron is your typical hakko clone and takes hakko tips.

After applying some solder paste with a syringe and applicator tip, and then carefully placing components, I did a quick once over with hot air and within a few minutes everything reflowed nicely :)

End result:
(my first attempt too!)

(excuse the bits of tissue caught around the caps... was wiping off flux with tissues and alcahol xD bad idea)

Pretty happy with it for $120. It also makes unsoldering any surface mount stuff a piece of cake. Best thing I've bought off ebay all year :D

I might write up a small beginners guide to on-the-cheap SMD DIY. I thought it would be a daunting task but I found it to be quite easy if you've set yourself up with the right tools. Chip in that photo is a TQFP 44pin PIC18F4550 with 0603 resistors, caps, and leds. Oh and a 6035 crystal. Syringes and tips you can get off ebay or locally. I use ~$5 tubs of solder paste from good old dealextreme.

I've got a sub-$300 benchtop powersupply coming (dual 60V 5A + 5V 3A constant) which I shall do a review of too :) I'll also get some of my own photos up once I clean up my desk ;)

About me: I'm a uni student studying Engineering/Commerce (with majors in Electrical and Electronic Engineering / Management). Everything I buy for hobby use is about maximum usability for the price ;)

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
Re: Kada 852AD+ Rework/Hot Air/Soldering Station Review
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:01:56 am »
Cool video. Amazing how you can get a machine with that much labor for only $120. Globalization for ya...

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 06:19:13 am »
i got it months ago from dragonchina group too, cant remember which color, they got red, blue yellow etc dragon there. ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline metalphreakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:06:29 pm »
Took the handle apart on mine last night. Its just got a centrifugal/squirrel cage fan that sucks in air from one side and blows it out the end (passing through the heating element).

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:37:27 pm »
Took the handle apart on mine last night. Its just got a centrifugal/squirrel cage fan that sucks in air from one side and blows it out the end (passing through the heating element).
be careful! dont break that! China is a long way to go, and you have to deal with "dragon" people! ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:25:00 am »
Have been looking out for one also...

The same seller also sells this thing for 260 euro (shipping included) for 4 at once...

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/4-PCS-SMD-Rework-Soldering-Station-AIR-IRON-2in1-WELDER-/390158094146

that's only 65 euro/piece ... how cheap to they actually buy them from the factory? 20 euro?

Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:37:12 am »
Have been looking out for one also...
if you still dont own one, i suggest you better look for another brand. this thing is not built for durability and reliability. in the end, you get what you pay for. ;)
tips: search my post for KADA in another thread. but others are reporting fine with it, so go figure.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:46:28 am by shafri »

Offline Murphy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:40:48 am »
Thanks   :D
I was looking at a something similar the other day and thinking about getting one. Would love to hear more of people's experiences with hot air equipment.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200541542423&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en re-branded. The yihua one looks SLIGHTLY nicer in my opinion...

Would love to hear more about people's experiences with these and similar tools.

How well does the airflow control work?

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 07:47:38 pm »
I've been using one of these a a hot air tool/spare spare iron for a year or so now. The hot air part is pretty good for the money, I've reworked 144 pqfp's, 0402's and suchlike fairly frequently with it, and it has worked really well-as with a lot of these I would recommend keeping the airflow high and the temp low if you're starting off, make sure you don't damage the element or handle.
The iron part is very basic, but functional. I bought quite a wide range of tips for it (saved postage compared to buying them later) and it's capable of doing some fine soldering, although naturally the temp regulation and ease of use is incomparable to Pace/Metcal. Good bit of kit though, I've recommended it to a few people and they've had good experiences.

HTH

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf