Author Topic: New Aixun T320 - Any opinions on it? (with inside pics)  (Read 27017 times)

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: New Aixun T320 - Any opinions on it? (with inside pics)
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2024, 10:22:13 pm »
Spare handles:

I see handles that are advertised as for "T3A" or "T3B and T420D" - but I don't see handles for T320. I remember, that Aixum uses different plugs. Which one is the right for T320?

And: the plug of my T320 is made of plastic. I see handles, where the inner part of the plug  is made of plastic but with a bold nut for locking. Does those plugs also fit into the station? I guess not, because the plastic plug has a different locking mechanism.
Some of the AliEexpress pages claiming the displayed handles are for the T3A and T3B show a mix of handles with a ring lock plug, and handles with the button release plug the T320 uses.

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2024, 04:26:23 pm »
Some of the AliEexpress pages claiming the displayed handles are for the T3A and T3B show a mix of handles with a ring lock plug, and handles with the button release plug the T320 uses.
Right, that's the problem. A lot of dealers copy together pictures and descriptions without knowing what they are selling. I looked at eBay and found the right handles.

Offline paulhdietz

« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2024, 10:31:07 pm »
Just adding my experience. Bought one of these T320 units with the T245 handle and 3 tips. It was quite the joy to use. But it went totally dead after ~2 weeks. Power supply was dead. No obvious component failures. The design is very serviceable, so I contacted the seller (Bresunfix) to get a new power supply board and they asked me to take a video of it not working (here: ) and make it public so you all can enjoy it. They said they would elevate the issue and contact me within 3 days. When I heard nothing, I again contacted them. They were very apologetic and said again that they would get back to me in 3 days. Again nothing. Did it one last time, and again nothing. I then tried contacting Aixun directly to get a new power supply board. ZERO response. Finally, because it was a "Choice" purchase, I was able to return it through AliExpress at their expense. They have received it, but said they need to process it before they can refund my money. So that's where things stand.

While it was working, I ordered some chisel tips which I vastly prefer. Now I have tips, but no iron. Given the generally positive reviews, I think I will order another (with "Choice") and hope for a better result.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline JNorton

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2024, 02:14:46 pm »
Here's hoping you have better luck.  It's been my experience that electronics usually suffer infant mortality if they fail.  I really like mine.

Offline paulhdietz

« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2024, 12:40:41 am »
Here's hoping you have better luck.  It's been my experience that electronics usually suffer infant mortality if they fail.  I really like mine.

Looking inside, I thought the build quality was actually really good. Even though the post-sales support was super polite but ultimately terrible, the Choice service came through with an immediate return authorization. So I'm trying again. Placed the new order today, this time with both handles and 6 tips. Keeping my fingers crossed.

UPDATE: My order was automagically cancelled! It said there was a delivery exception, which made no sense since it canceled shortly after I placed the order. I wonder if I got blacklisted by the seller for returning an item?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 06:27:07 pm by paulhdietz »

Offline legodude

« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2024, 01:49:55 pm »
I've had my T320 for several months now and I have to say that I am very pleased with it. I'd assess my skill level as "advanced beginner." I had a Hakko FX-888D previously and wasn't a fan of the ergonomics, time to heat up, difficulty changing tips when warm, and lack of auto power-off feature if I forgot to turn it off. I have both the T245 and T210 handles but my use has been almost entirely the T245. I love the ergonomics and ease of switching tips. I've used it for a variety of through hole and SMD soldering and have been impressed with the performance including on large features that need a lot of heat. I'm still running an older version of the firmware as I see no compelling reason to upgrade yet and there are comments here about regressions with new version.

My main complaint is the location of the power switch. The 3d printed shield I posted earlier in this thread helps prevent burns, but a rear-mounted switch is annoying. I also had a spontaneous settings loss once, but I I have not customized beyond selecting the language and turning off beeps.

mike

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2024, 06:30:02 pm »
Quote from: paulhdietz link=topic=398616.msg5457116#msg5457116

UPDATE: My order was automagically cancelled! It said there was a delivery exception, which made no sense since it canceled shortly after I placed the order. I wonder if I got blacklisted by the seller for returning an item?
May be.
Some dealers don't understand, that they have to deliver goods, that work longer than 2 weeks.
But there isn't only one dealer selling the Aixun T320 ... try another one.

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2024, 06:34:20 pm »
My main complaint is the location of the power switch. The 3d printed shield I posted earlier in this thread helps prevent burns, but a rear-mounted switch is annoying. I also had a spontaneous settings loss once, but I I have not customized beyond selecting the language and turning off beeps. 
I move my right hand on the side to the power switch and use middle finger to power on/off.  So never had contact to the hot tip.

I'm using firmware 1.09 and I think there is a kind of standby?

Offline JNorton

• Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2024, 09:03:49 pm »
There is plenty of room to install a rocker switch on the top of the enclosure.

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2024, 08:03:48 am »
There is plenty of room to install a rocker switch on the top of the enclosure.
Nope!

2215150-0

:-DD

The following users thanked this post: JNorton

Offline AmeliaBuns

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2024, 04:29:21 am »
All the issues with the sudden temp rise are worrying me, and I AM broke, but gosh I'm so tempted to grab this and upgrade from my pinecil v2 as it struggles with lead-free and big ground planes even with the boost function, although I am using a 100w PSU not a 140w.

Offline Hazer

• NaturesMirror
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2024, 05:50:19 am »
I just purchased the T320 and so far so good.  However, I went to upgrade the firmware and cannot find software to work with my Mac Book Pro.  Does anyone know how I can update my firmware with a MBP?

Offline CaptainBucko

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2024, 02:46:27 pm »
I just purchased the T320 and so far so good.  However, I went to upgrade the firmware and cannot find software to work with my Mac Book Pro.  Does anyone know how I can update my firmware with a MBP?
I don't have an answer, but I would leave the firmware as-is unless you have a problem. You run the risk of adding new problems with this Chinese FW IMO. FYI I am running v1.10 in mine.

Offline hpapagaj

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2024, 09:10:58 am »
Hi, there aren’t too many reviews on this soldering station, and I still cannot decide between this one and the T3B. Right now, the T320 is around 115€ on AliExpress. I searched but cannot find any better station for this price. Am I right?

Offline digger

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2024, 10:41:01 am »
Hi, there aren’t too many reviews on this soldering station, and I still cannot decide between this one and the T3B. Right now, the T320 is around 115€ on AliExpress. I searched but cannot find any better station for this price. Am I right?

i believe the T3B (and all aixun SMPS units) do not have grounded tips. consequently, if you solder to something that's grounded, they leak a bit (probably not enough to damage anything), and more importantly, they suffer from an issue where they glitch out because it's not possible to get a temp reading. if that matters to you, the T320 is a slightly better choice because it seems that the fw mitigates it to some extent. temp reading is still impossible, but apparently it at least detects that and doesn't overshoot the temp like crazy. i believe T3A/T3B overshoot quite a bit in that state.

another option is to get a T420/T420D which has a grounded tip (different power supply) and is immune to this issue.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 10:45:16 am by digger »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2024, 04:45:58 pm »
That's an odd choice. The T320 is like a fully integrated T3A, not a T3B. What exactly are you looking for?

Offline CaptainBucko

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2024, 05:53:57 am »
i believe the T3B (and all aixun SMPS units) do not have grounded tips.

The T320 definitely has a grounded tip. I checked mine with a DMM, and its a direct short circuit between :
- earth pin of the IEC plug
- ground socket on rear of unit
- tip of iron

Post #3 of this thread also confirms the same.

Offline digger

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2024, 02:10:04 am »
The T320 definitely has a grounded tip. I checked mine with a DMM

thanks for checking. that's interesting. any idea what's going on in this test then when SDG tries soldering to a grounded pad?

https://youtu.be/-ug7rLdOWto?t=1669

Offline CaptainBucko

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2024, 11:21:09 am »
thanks for checking. that's interesting. any idea what's going on in this test then when SDG tries soldering to a grounded pad?

No idea. I have the same questions unanswered. I suspect the answer is buried somewhere in these threads:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/jbc-soldering-station-cd-2bc-complete-schematic-analysis/
or here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/yet-another-controller-for-jbc-t210t245/
and here is a schematic of the T245 handle:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/749470/99142834-a33c4b00-260d-11eb-9dc2-b2753d5301a6.jpg
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 10:30:16 pm by CaptainBucko »

Offline CaptainBucko

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2024, 07:48:56 am »
any idea what's going on in this test then when SDG tries soldering to a grounded pad?

Yes, I do. I spent some time investigating, I thought others might appreciate my learnings and here is what I have learnt:
- The T320 does NOT have a grounded tip (despite me telling others it did, using my DMM). Similar to the T3A, the tip is low resistance to GND, but not tied directly to GND.
- Using a calibrated low ohms meter (not a DMM), the TIP measures 0.15 Ohms to GND (Ground is the IEC GND pin on the rear of the unit)
- Using a calibrated low ohms meter (not a DMM), the GND port on rear measures 0.03 Ohms to GND (Ground is the IEC GND pin on the rear of the unit)

Soldering Test:
- I cut a 100mm length of 0.7mm tinned copper wire, and soldered it with the T320 in an insulated position, and a ground position.
- In the insulated position, the wire soldered normally, and the T320 behaved normally, that is to say,
      - upon touching the wire with the iron tip, the reported temperature on the screen did not deviate, and
      - upon removing the iron tip from the wire, the reported temperature on the screen did not deviate
- In the ground position, the wire soldered normally, but the T320 showed a variation in temperature on the screen, that is to say,
     - upon touching the wire with the iron tip, the reported temperature on the screen  dropped about 15 deg, and
     - upon removing the iron tip from the wire, the reported temperature on the screen jumped about 30 deg C
- As a result of the temperature variation in the grounded wire position, I connected my Siglent SDS1202 to the wire in the INSULATED position and observed the trace shown in the screen capture.
- @tony359 notes the same problem in the AiXun T3A in this thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/any-opinions-on-the-aixun-t3a/
- According to my SDS1202 capture, there is up to 3.1volts that appears on the tip when soldering, that is to say,
    - When soldering an ungrounded item, the current flowing in the handle, to GND, via the 0.15 Ohms resistance, causes a voltage of about 3 volts to appear (you don't see this when the item is grounded, but clearly there will be current flowing, as observed by @tony359 in his T3A review video)
- It is also important to note that unexpected rise in temperature (as reported by the iron), occurs only when you disconnected. However, some people have noted the problem is not significant. Actually, this depends. If you observe carefully in @tony359s videos, he is rapidly connecting and disconnecting the iron, and that rapid intermittent connection is what causes the temperature to sky rocket.

The wider question is : is this a problem? Personally, I would say yes. I blew up some STM32 micros while using this iron. I didn't understand why, but now I do. I had unintentionally grounded the pcbs I was soldering. If you are careful and only solder pcbs that are isolated from ground, or for example, if you solder on a grounded surface, you make sure you ground the surface via a 1 Meg resistor, you should be fine.

However, as noted by @tony359, this is risky. A few beers, and I could easily make that mistake, destroying countless hours of work, or something expensive. So for me, I am declaring the Aixun T320 a no go. Yep, I spent my own good personal money on mine, but I am now going to look for another iron.

Is the problem a root cause of a SMPS in the T320/T3A? I dont know. I have seen references to the problem being the handle not having an additional wire for the tip GND, and sharing it with the heater? Apparently the Aixun T420 does not have this issue. So why it is done like in the T320 (and T3A), I am not sure. Disappointing : yes. Is Aixun misleading when they claim the iron is ESD protected? Well, probably no, your not getting kilovolts of ESD on the tip, but 3.1volts is not great either when soldering a uC with an internal diode to GND and no current limiting resistor!

But I am glad I know, and it was a good example of why you sometimes need a low ohms meter because a DMM can be misleading. I bought this iron while surfing the net after a few beers, and if anything, its a great lesson in the dangers of you get what you pay for. It is definitely better than my Hakko 907 in terms of temperature regulation, but the issue with voltage and current leakage to ground is a deal breaker. Make your own mind up, but caveat emptor.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 07:57:10 am by CaptainBucko »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, digger

Offline digger

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2024, 08:54:42 am »
I spent some time investigating

thanks for taking the time to experiment and sharing the results

ok, so it's pretty much what i had said before

is there a valid use case for soldering to gnd with an iron like T320? with that behavior, i honestly don't think so.
if i were aixun, i would make the fw behave like this:
  • when gnd is detected (or when the temp becomes unreadable), cut power to the tip heater
  • beep a few times, flash the display red, and show an error for 5–10s. or maybe make the user manually dismiss it.
  • resume normal operation after that

basically, make it completely impractical to solder to a grounded workpiece in favor of safety (avoiding overshoot).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 08:58:39 am by digger »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, CaptainBucko

Offline CaptainBucko

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2024, 09:10:17 am »
ok, so it's pretty much what i had said before
I must have read this thread a few times, but I missed your comment, so apologies for that. You are 100% spot on.

is there a valid use case for soldering to gnd with an iron like T320? with that behavior, i honestly don't think so.
if i were aixun, i would make the fw behave like this:
  • when gnd is detected (or when the temp becomes unreadable), cut power to the tip heater
  • beep a few times, flash the display red, and show an error for 5–10s. or maybe make the user manually dismiss it.
  • resume normal operation after that
basically, make it completely impractical to solder to a grounded workpiece in favor of safety (avoiding overshoot).
That is a great idea. Unfortunately, by the time is has detected a problem, it might have dumped quite a but of current to ground, via a protection diode inside an MCU for example. But at a minimum, you would think they should do this.

I am going to review the 420 and see if this is a viable option. A genuine JBC quite a bit, but maybe I just need to buy my wife a few handbags and ask for forgiveness. Better than asking for permission that is for sure.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 09:29:59 am by CaptainBucko »

Offline digger

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2024, 08:59:20 am »
I am going to review the 420 and see if this is a viable option.

i spent a lot of time looking and decided that the T420D was the best looking option without spending genuine jbc money. it left china but didn't enter USA customs yet. not sure when i'll get it, but feel free to ask me questions about it when i do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf