Author Topic: Mystery munition 9B899(9Б899) waiting for reversengineering  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Michael_PTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi,

very troubling post about electrocnic use by occupants in Ukraine.
https://www.google.com/search?q=9B899

"A mystery munition first seen in Ukraine two weeks ago is an advanced countermeasure deployed by Russian Iskander-M ballistic missiles to evade air-defense systems."
https://twitter.com/CAT_UXO/status/1503826576378630151/photo/1

"Description
This is the Russian 9B899 (9Б899), a suspected decoy believed to be associated with the short-range ballistic SS-26 Iskander missile.
Not technically a submunition with any explosive hazard, CAT-UXO is at this time, in the absence of anything official, naming the decoy 9B899 from figures indicated on the orange plastic section of the rear body.
It is not officially confirmed what action this item plays but thanks to John Ismay at the New York Times it is believed to be a decoy positioned in the rear of the SS-26 Iskander-M missile deployed as a counter-measure to anti-missile radar and missile interception.
Described as a penetration aid it allows the missile to penetrate the enemy's radar and anti-missile systems.
Additional images are available to CAT-UXO members.
Please do make any comments or contributions to the members' contribution area.
Any additional identification, images and technical information are very much appreciated.
Thank you for the collective effort and awareness on this, together our knowledge saves lives."
https://cat-uxo.com/explosive-hazards/submunitions/9b899-submunition

https://twitter.com/CAT_UXO/status/1502936791665491970/photo/1

I have no sample but there are more and more of it
---------------
Michael.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
Re: Mystery munition 9B899(9Б899) waiting for reversengineering
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 08:41:26 am »
No teardown pics?
Want us to register on their forum to tell them what we know?

:--

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 09:45:06 am »
The hybrid wars use every tool, disinformation, CBW, EW..electronic war, jammers, countermeasures.

Jon

Edited by gnif: Political comment removed
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:20:35 am by gnif »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 10:41:03 am »
The hybrid wars use every tool, disinformation, CBW, EW..electronic war, jammers, countermeasures.

Edited by gnif: Political comment removed.

Jon

Jon Paul, this is literally the 2nd post of yours that I have read in succession that includes gratuitous political comments. I think you seem to need reminding of the rules you signed up to when you joined here.

Quote from: The Rules
There are a couple of pet topics that always get out of control on forums, namely, religion, politics, gun and conspiracy theories. They are not welcome here.

I would strongly advise you to heed the rules, I can't see the moderators being particularly lenient at the moment about posts that any reasonable person would realise were both political, and particularly likely to be inflammatory in the face of current world events.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:20:56 am by gnif »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 12:03:59 pm »
I'll be reading every reply, first sign of politics and it's all over.

The following users thanked this post: gnif, 2N3055

Offline Michael_PTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 04:49:13 pm »
I'll be reading every reply, first sign of politics and it's all over.

Maybe this post is not on time when many people are now only in the B&W contrast zone. I hope we will grow up and live without too early adult children conflicts.

Hope that this post will stay strictly technical and ethical way, otherwise should be suspended.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 05:27:49 pm »
Maybe this post is not on time when many people are now only in the B&W contrast zone.

Precisely because of the times it gives us an opportunity to see a bit of ECM/EW hardware that at other times we wouldn't see. It's not often that people get to pick up battlefield detritus and post it publicly for examination.

If people are capable of being adults, and not using an examination of this artefact as an excuse for political posturing, then there might be some quite interesting things to discover.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 05:37:32 pm »
Interesting that the photos show TO-3 packaged devices in the electronics.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 06:18:39 pm »
That's the decoy for heat-seeking missiles :-DD

The whole board wouldn't look out of place in a Soviet era TV set. Slotted screws, yuck.
Is it 100% discrete? Too bad those **** want me to go and beg them for better pics.

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 06:46:07 pm »
Am I the only person who thought Russia was technologically more advanced than they really are? Probably.  :-//

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 06:49:16 pm »
It's a meta-decoy.
They want NATO to think that this is what will be loaded on Iskanders flying to Warsaw and Berlin while pushing responsibility for e-waste disposal on Ukraine :D

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 07:23:17 pm »
Am I the only person who thought Russia was technologically more advanced than they really are? Probably.  :-//
Trust me, you haven't seen much military electronics.

First picture is part of the night vision equipment of the M60 tanks, all the boards in that tank are like that.
Second picture is a blasting machine, creates a high voltage when knob is cranked, patented in 1930. This device is used to this day in the Abrams tank to fire the shell in case electric and mechanical systems fail

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 07:38:55 pm by PartialDischarge »

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 08:36:46 pm »
PartialDischarge - you're absolutely correct, I haven't.  :)

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 08:49:24 pm »
Judging by the technology level, they at least have a fair chance of finding compatible parts in stock at Digi-Key*, unlike the rest of us.

*other outlets are available

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 08:54:00 pm »
@PartialDischarge
I had the same impression.  Thanks for clearing it up. As they say, "War College" teaches our future generals how the fight the last war.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 09:20:04 pm »
There are two industries that move very slowly, military and rail. Others are just the ignorant that do not realise that what they just picked up that looks like real 'ard stuff, is 70 year old tech, MIL-DTL-5015 connectors anyone?

UK rail still uses the 5015 style connectors although they are the "reverse bayonet" type rather than the original threaded ones of MIL-DTL-5015. These are commonly used as they are cheap, but not RoHS compliant and are WW2 tech.

When you are dealing with something who's reliability means lives or a lot of money people tend to not change things - just because it will be nicer like this. When the insurance policy on the change is greater than the benefit why bother.

I believe that the space probes that used discrete parts outlasted the ones using integrated circuits?

In my last job I was the rebel and introduced black D38999 S3 connectors over the old green (cadmium) and managed to sway the customer to accept our choice. Despite this we still had to fit the 5015 connectors where we interface with their gear. It turned out they were not totally mad, they bought in bulk and kept stock of some specific connectors rather than chose the most effective connector for the job.

It's hard sometimes to grasp the difference between mass manufacture and low volume high reliability with excruciating costs for failure.

The following users thanked this post: TaylorD93

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 09:25:48 pm »
We used a few Victron inverter chargers at work, they have a large through hole PCB, I guess they just don't make enough to justify redesigning in surface mount. Again, an industry that has significant regulation (grid tie) with a failure being real bad news.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 09:42:09 pm »
My employer used to use "MS3100" style military connectors, with their annoying screw-thread collars.
When younger engineers used to complain about that, I replied "we won that war".
On re-design, the new military-grade connectors were much better technically, far more expensive, and hard to purchase.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2022, 08:53:12 am »
My employer used to use "MS3100" style military connectors, with their annoying screw-thread collars.
When younger engineers used to complain about that, I replied "we won that war".
On re-design, the new military-grade connectors were much better technically, far more expensive, and hard to purchase.

Yes D38999 ismore expensive than 5015, but they are RoHS compliant and have smaller pin sizes that 5015 dose not plus the PCB pins which if you are going to do anything like modern you need. With electronics these day communicating with data busses rather than a single wire to turn something on a PCB mount 38999 with under 10 pins actually comes in cheaper than a 5015 with 20+ pins that takes at least 20AWG and is enormous hampering the design. You want nice things you need to use the right parts. Yes they can be harder to get but then that is why you keep stock and standardize which with comms interfaces on everything is easier than every system having different numbers of signals so requires different connectors to be space efficient or you just have to use an oversized connector on everything by which time you have spent more money anyway.

even 5015 became harder to get and when the customer asked for a blue connector for the CAN bus we had to say no as in 5015 that was 6 months with an MOQ of over 100, why they wanted to highlight the CAN bus like that I do not know.

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2022, 09:07:07 am »

And that includes seeding a forum such as this one with interesting bait and an invitation for users to visit a site elsewhere which has potentially been compromised.

This is intended as a health warning, not a political comment.

MarkMLl

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf