Author Topic: Multimeters  (Read 7710 times)

Offline griffo666Topic starter

Multimeters
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:34:38 pm »
Hi...I really like your reveiws on multimeters.......I have been using a Protek 506 ,With no problems for many years,out in field,,And it has been dropped(without any rubber holster)many times,,Temperature use from frost to 40C..Humidity low to very high...Rain ,,Dust,,Oil ,,Grease,,Solvents...And it is only now showing my abuse..ie: backlight stopped,,continuity beeper stopped(however the short/open display works fine)....The only thing is it is not rated for CAT use...But I fitted a MOV on a set of leads for use to test mains voltages (very infrequent use)....
I wonder if a fluke in the same price range (without rubber holster) can last as long in real life situations.........Can you do a reveiw on meters that handle field work...ie dropping,,chemicals,,temperature change and just general abuse.........Thanks....Jeff

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Multimeters
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:58:14 pm »
Does your protek 506 chew threw the battery?

Mine is always running flat.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »
You can get brand new Fluke 27 (old version) for around $100, it lasts forever.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:59:21 pm »
Hi...I really like your reveiws on multimeters.......I have been using a Protek 506 ,With no problems for many years,out in field,,And it has been dropped(without any rubber holster)many times,,Temperature use from frost to 40C..Humidity low to very high...Rain ,,Dust,,Oil ,,Grease,,Solvents...And it is only now showing my abuse..ie: backlight stopped,,continuity beeper stopped(however the short/open display works fine)....The only thing is it is not rated for CAT use...But I fitted a MOV on a set of leads for use to test mains voltages (very infrequent use)....
I wonder if a fluke in the same price range (without rubber holster) can last as long in real life situations.........Can you do a reveiw on meters that handle field work...ie dropping,,chemicals,,temperature change and just general abuse.........Thanks....Jeff

Fluke built their entire reputation around how rugged their meters are. The Fluke 28 is the best in that series and I'm sure will beat anything else on the market, hands down.

I have looked at the rugged Extech EX500 series.

As Zaoka said, an old Fluke 27 is an excellent choice. Some people still selling them new in the box on ebay.

Dave.

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:14:59 am »
As Zaoka said, an old Fluke 27 is an excellent choice. Some people still selling them new in the box on ebay.

Dave.

Yeah, I've looked longingly at those listings on ebay. They're army surplus, I believe. I don't need one, but I'd love to get one of those, they're almost a collectors item as well as a fantastic tool.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:17:11 am by samgab »

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:53:27 am »
Yeah, I've looked longingly at those listings on ebay. They're army surplus, I believe. I don't need one, but I'd love to get one of those, they're almost a collectors item as well as a fantastic tool.
Bid on one of the used mil-surplus green/brown 27/FMs instead, you might get lucky! As a plus, those are the True-RMS versions.  I got one last year in 2010 when the going rate was a bit lower.  Cleaned it up, polished the lens, and it's pulling duty outside, where I've been known to knock it off the hood of the truck.  :)

Random example of a recent good deal (not mine):

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:14:50 am by ModemHead »

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:00:36 am »
Bid on one of the used mil-surplus green/brown 27/FMs instead, you might get lucky! As a plus, those are the True-RMS versions.  I got one last year in 2010 when the going rate was a bit lower.  Cleaned it up, polished the lens, and it's pulling duty outside, where I've been known to knock it off the hood of the truck.  :)

Good tip, cheers for that. Wow, that was a great buy you got there!

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 02:14:05 am »
Good tip, cheers for that. Wow, that was a great buy you got there!

Sorry, I should have noted that was just a random example of a good deal I found in the recent "completed listings" to point out that you don't have to pay $150 for one.  I think I paid about $50 for mine, shipping included.  But I have seen them go for cheap like this on a pretty regular basis.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:12:58 am »
As a bonus, the Fluke 25/27 gets insane battery life, circa 1000hrs IIRC.
I don't know of any other meter that beats it.

Dave.

Offline caroper

• Regular Contributor
    • Take your PIC
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:53:24 pm »
Way back in the 80's I had a Fluke rep visit to try and convince us to switch to using his Meters.
I pointed out to him that they were to be used on construction sites and may well be subject to long drop's.
He promptly opened my office window and dropped the meter 6 stories into the car park below.
We retrieved the Meter and took it to out calibration Lab (We did in house conformance testing, not complete calibration) and it was well within spec.

Needless to say, we only ever bought Fluke Meters from that day forward, we didn't even haggle over price.

Cheers
Chris

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 05:27:52 am »
As a bonus, the Fluke 25/27 gets insane battery life, circa 1000hrs IIRC.
I don't know of any other meter that beats it.

I purchased an used Fluke 75.  According to the scanned pdf manual (77______umeng0200) found on the internet, page 28, states that battery life is 2000 hours typical with akaline.

I put in a "low" smoke alarm 9V Duracell battery into the Fluke 75 for the hell of it and it works great (no low battery indicator).

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 10:06:04 pm »
Way back in the 80's I had a Fluke rep visit to try and convince us to switch to using his Meters.
I pointed out to him that they were to be used on construction sites and may well be subject to long drop's.
He promptly opened my office window and dropped the meter 6 stories into the car park below.
We retrieved the Meter and took it to out calibration Lab (We did in house conformance testing, not complete calibration) and it was well within spec.

Needless to say, we only ever bought Fluke Meters from that day forward, we didn't even haggle over price.

Cheers
Chris

Sometimes when I show my 27FM to someone I'll "accidentally" drop it on the floor just to see the look on their face... the 27 just doesn't care.

Mark Z.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 11:36:45 am »
Yes, a used older Fluke: 25, 70, 80 series,  in working order will probably be better for the same money it costs to buy a non-Fluke.  Even if not IP rated better than its competitors, the 80 series [ 87, 85, 83]  does take abuse very well as proven by true field use.  You can easily find Fluke 70s, and pre 2000 80s series under $100.  For any newbie needing details chat with the eBay Fluke expert, Excavortee, who is also on eevblog and eBay.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:07:55 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf