Author Topic: Microscope for soldering: Sony IMX comparison / FullHD 1080 vs 4k  (Read 6244 times)

Offline eevblogger88Topic starter

• Contributor
Hello, what is the best microscope / camera sensor for soldering smd? Ideally it would be 4k 60fps, but that seems to be out of the 350$/300€ league.

This is my result:

€ 247,57  15% Off | Full HD 1080P 60FPS Sony Sensor IMX290 Industrial Electronic Video Measuring Microscope Camera Auto Focus HDMI Magnifier
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vYFSPq

€ 251,35  19% Off | Phone PCB Soldering Repair Lab Industrial 7X 45X Simul-focal Trinocular Stereo Microscope SONY IMX307 1080P VGA HDMI Camera
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vKURn6

€ 185,50  28% Off | UHD MINI 4K 1080P Sony Sensor IMX334 Electronic Video Microscope Camera HDMI USB Type-c Magnifier For Welding Repair
https://a.aliexpress.com/_u9uxUc

So it comes down to:

Sony IMX290
1080p 60fps
Seems to be a hugely popular sensor

vs

Sony IMX307
1080p 60fps
Seems to be the „successor“ of the IMX290

vs

Sony IMX334
1080p 60fps/120fps // 4K 30fps
The only 4k sensor which makes it my favourite. Is this the best?

Which one of these is the best sensor for soldering?
Thank you in advance for your time.

Offline twospoons

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Microscope for soldering: Sony IMX comparison / FullHD 1080 vs 4k
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 03:23:08 am »
 Most video microscopes I've encountered have two fundamental flaws - no sense of depth, and lag. 
So go for  the second link you posted. Don't fret over the camera - for soldering you will find looking through the eyepieces far superior to looking at a video monitor.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 03:30:14 am by twospoons »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, eevblogger88

Offline eevblogger88Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 05:53:08 pm »
Most video microscopes I've encountered have two fundamental flaws - no sense of depth, and lag. 
So go for  the second link you posted. Don't fret over the camera - for soldering you will find looking through the eyepieces far superior to looking at a video monitor.
Really?
Ive heard that it is initially harder, but brings a lot of benefits if you learn to solder without eyepieces just with a screen:
https://youtu.be/NfkXitg5R4I
(Why NorthbridgeFix uses HDMI Microscope instead of a stereoscopic one)

This video inspired me to drop the eyepieces. But I have to think about that… Louis Rossmann uses eyepieces as well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 07:21:44 pm by eevblogger88 »

Offline bill_c

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 07:23:25 pm »
Same as twospoons, depth and lag can be a problem.  The one advantage to digital is auto focus, but I'm not changing from my stereo microscope.  Try each before you buy, maybe ask a local tech school or some place that may have one that you can examine.

The following users thanked this post: eevblogger88

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 02:45:03 am »
To have 60fps you will need manual exposure to obtain the target FPS, which means too much zoom and your image will get very dark. You can compensate with brightness or more light but when you zoom out you will be "blind", there are auto-brightness cameras too. 60fps at 4k is totally possible.
However as said here before, never but never exchange your stereo microscope by a depthless camera! You will regret the moment you try it. Even at 60fps it don't look natural and what yours hands do will not be in sync with video, messing up your brain. Not to mention ghosting and other problems. This can be improvement with training but just dont!
Microscopes are made to work with direct eye contract with eyepieces, camera ports are just an "good to have / give me your money"
The secret to work under a microscope: Set it for yourself to be in a confortable position that causes no pain and you have a good time working with it, comfort is everything and make huge difference when using tools.

Cameras are good for: Take pictures of the work, log, video record of your work, registry, and show off at youtube.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:46:35 am by sn4k3 »

The following users thanked this post: eevblogger88

Offline prollie

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 06:15:06 am »
I can't provide any substantial advice on exact camera sensors. But I would like to offer my input on other mentioned aspects, as I feel we're about to slide into territory of personal preferences, but kinda packaged as if "universal" empirical fact. So perspective from the other side might be appropriate.

1: Not everyone *can* get comfortable with working through eyepieces. For some it's the viewport angle, and stereo/trinocular scopes with significant tilt-adjustable viewports are quite expensive. For some it's the limited work height/focal distance range at their preferred magnification (and resulting limiting height range between head and work surface). For some, including me, it's both. There's plenty more factors here too.

2: Image latency can be bad, over USB or Wifi. Horrible even. But over HDMI directly to a midrange screen, it's imperceptible for most people, single digit milliseconds is very common. Only use USB/Wifi connection to a computer for certain recording / still image situations - always use the HDMI connection for actual work under the scope. If you wanna record to computer or stream while working, get an HDMI capture card with splitter or passthrough so that your working video feed remains HDMI. Do check monitor reviews if you don't already have a/the screen though, especially gaming hardware reviewers are fairly good at doing latency tests.make sure the test is for HDMI connection. You don't need the best, just trying to avoid any surprise outlier that has a real latency issue. I don't recommend TVs for this, stick with computer monitors.

3: Yes, there is a different learning curve. It will be a bit steeper, especially if you're starting to learn doing work under a microscope at the same time. The depth perception, and acute closeness of the work piece and your hands/tools, feel more intuitive when you're starting out. However, if you were to it that way, going by the anecdotes (!) from those I've discussed this with over the years; more of those who started out working "by monitor" say they find it intuitive  and easy, than among those who started out with optics and changed to monitor after several years. None of those who started out with monitor, said or insinuated they had any issues falling back on the optical ports on stereo or trinocular scopes though, even among those who very rarely use the eyepieces. So if you start out learning by monitor, it's not like you need to retrain significantly to move over to optics/the eyepieces.

4: If you already have the trinocular/stimulfocal microscope, then keeping the optics around to have something to fall back on is absolutely a strong recommendation. Especially if others need to use your setup from time to time, and so that you're not unable to work if something suddenly goes wonky with the camera. BUT!

- If you find that you're taking well to working by monitor, you can get a separate C-mount microscope for just the camera. They're *much* more affordable than a trinocular/simulfocal microscope head and mount, and you can even get them in sizes that takes the same barlow lenses as your trinocular scope, so you don't need separate sets of barlows. These microscopes are single port (you've likely seen NorthridgeFix videos, that kind of microscope). With those, the light path is not shared with/split between any other ports like the camera port on a trinocular/simulfocal scope, so you don't need as aggressive lighting, but there are great small format ringlights and coaxial lights for C-mount microscopes for a very reasonable price. The improved light situation is also very favorable if you wanna run a 4k60 cam in 1080p120 mode - through the camera port on a simulfocal trinocular scope, 120+fps *does* quickly quite dark. These microscopes can often provide a bit better working distance, and they drastically reduce how much space around your workpiece is taken up by the microscope and stand. These are much lighter too so articulating mounting arms are more affordable. So if your workbench is against a wall and it's not a long-travel adjustable standing desk - you can easily mount the microscope arm for a C-mount camera microscope on the wall. That way it easily swings away to clear the work area completely when not using the scope, and the little shakes and vibrations of your workbench surface do not transfer and attenuate through the stand/arm fixture as it tends to do when the arm is fixed to the bench/table. The caveat is that you don't mount it to a wall that shakes and vibrates for other reasons of course. And do try to mount it so it screws into wall risers/studs unless walls are concrete ofc.

Don't be dissuaded from trying out the camera and monitor route. Just beware of these core aspects mentioned. A bit steeper learning curve, HDMI straight to decent, low latency monitor, get a C-mount microscope for camera only to free up work space and improve light input to the sensor.

A lot of folks are moving in this direction for good reasons. Good enough equipment for a useable setup has gotten very affordable. Optimum setup if camera and monitor is your primary "input", is a C-mount microscope, but decent 130x-180x units are ~60-70 USD from Eakins so it's not cost prohibitive to try out both if you already have a trinocular scope.

The following users thanked this post: rernexy, eevblogger88, jundar

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 12:20:04 pm »
Hello, what is the best microscope / camera sensor for soldering smd? Ideally it would be 4k 60fps, but that seems to be out of the 350$/300€ league.

If you're planning to record videos, the IMX290 does work well and has decent low light performance. If this is just for you, save yourself the usability issues and no end of frustration and just use a stereoscopic microscope or a Mantis. The 3rd link you posted will just be a waste of time.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 08:47:50 pm »
One of the contention points in camera selection was manual and auto focus and controlling it in software. I believe this was previously discussed in another post or video.

Primarily, the more fps and less latency first then resolution second. But not to the detriment of functionality. You want to check this video out as well.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: m.abdelwanis, jundar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf