Author Topic: Metcal MX-5251  (Read 7257 times)

Offline LegionTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Metcal MX-5251
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:18:47 am »
Anybody here use one of these? I just saw this awesome video about it:
From the video it looks super badass. I have a Weller WES51 right now. It's ok, but sometimes it just takes forever to heat up a joint. Especially when I'm trying to rework old stuff, those old solder joints just don't want to give.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:23:22 am by Legion »

Offline mjkuwp

• Supporter
  • mechanical engineering defector
    • The Mz Lab
Re: Metcal MX-5251
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:54:36 am »
not the exact model.  at work we have MX-500 stations in the lab and they work really well.

For home I picked up a little brother version of that one.  SP200.  I have used it for a couple of years and I like it a lot.  It does small or large joints without the bother of changing the temp setting.  I guess one down-side is that the tips are specific to lead solder or lead-free solder.  I guess if you only buy tips for lead-free you'd be covered for both.

One can plug the power into a watt meter such as the Kill-A-Watt and be entertained by observing the power going up and down.  Maybe that would replace some of the function of the built in display on this newer unit.

Offline chrisc

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:58:14 am »
I have a Metcal PS2E-01 system and given the choice wouldn't use anything else (other than another RF iron).

I used to use normal irons and after working at a place that had the metcals on the bench I found myself getting irritated when working with my own irons (Hakko/Weller) when previously I'd been entirely happy with them. I picked my metcal up second-hand on a trip to the US and just run it from a transformer.

Now the patent on the metcal RF technology has expired (about a year ago) you can get other RF irons, plus the price of the tips has dropped significantly (from about $70 to about $25 for an equivalent one now).

The thermaltronics irons are supposed to be equivalent but I've not tried them.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:21:43 pm »
I picked my metcal up second-hand on a trip to the US and just run it from a transformer.

Have you looked inside? I have a 220V MX 500 that was converted to 110V by rewiring the internal jumpers.

Offline chrisc

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:20:07 am »
Nope, I haven't looked inside. Research I did suggested that the transformer is a single-tap toroid unsuited to 240v operation and I already had a stepdown so I've always run it from there. I may re-visit the issue some day.

Offline Metcalman

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:47:33 pm »
If it is truely a MX-5200 power supply it is MULTI-VOLTAGE, check the label on the back and get rid of the transformer.

Offline chrisc

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:55:04 pm »
If it is truely a MX-5200 power supply it is MULTI-VOLTAGE, check the label on the back and get rid of the transformer.

Not sure if you're replying to me or someone else. If to me, I have a PS2E which is definitely not multi-voltage.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:29:22 pm »
I changed the transformer on a PS2E from 110V to 230V - the correct transformer [by the original transformer manufacturer] is available from digikey for approx US$35 - I can find the relevant details if you need them.

Offline chrisc

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 10:30:44 pm »
I changed the transformer on a PS2E from 110V to 230V - the correct transformer [by the original transformer manufacturer] is available from digikey for approx US$35 - I can find the relevant details if you need them.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it  :-+

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:00:32 pm »
The replacement  transformer for the PS2E is a 'Signal Transformer' model DP-241-8-28 it is 115/230V Primary, 28V CT Secondary, digi key have over 200 in stock at approx US$33. All you need to do to mount it is remove the channel frame (the bit of metal around it for vertical mounting) and use the four bolt holes to screw it down. Keep the existing secondary wires with the faston insulated plug connectors, use some heat shrink. Note. you will need to drill out the pop rivet holding the mains earth connection to get the PS2E open and re rivet it when you reassemble it ( if you don't have one you can get a cheap hand rivet unit at your local hardware store ). AS always TRIPLE CHECK everything on the AC side.

Edit: and in this modern age, as with any dissasembly. Take lots of photos with your phone whilst pulling it apart. Saves some anguish later.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:08:02 pm by notsob »

The following users thanked this post: chrisc

Offline chrisc

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 11:02:49 pm »
The replacement  transformer for the PS2E is a 'Signal Transformer' model DP-241-8-28 it is 115/230V Primary, 28V CT Secondary, digi key have over 200 in stack at approx US$33. All you need to do to mount it is remove the channel frame (the bit of metal around it for vertical mounting) and use the four bolt holes to screw it down. Keep the existing secondary wires with the faston insulated plug connectors, use some heat shrink. Note. you will need to drill out the pop rivet holding the mains earth connection to get the PS2E open and re rivet it when you reassemble it ( if you don't have one you can get a cheap hand rivet unit at your local hardware store ). AS always TRIPLE CHECK everything on the AC side.

Thanks for that. Now if only I hadn't put my latest digikey order in last Friday  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf