Author Topic: Metcal MX-500P, MX-5000 , MX 5210 with the HAKKO soldering irons from FX-100 ?  (Read 838 times)

Offline ststefanov13Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
I have a question about the compatibility of the Metcal Smartheat MX-500P-21 or -11  station with the HAKKO soldering irons and tips specifically the FX-1001, FX-1002 and FX-1003 they are for the FX-100 Station, has anyone tried this combination and does it work?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Yes it works well with FX1001 and FX1003. FX1002 haven't tried but I'm sure it would be fine.
Previous threads exist, eg: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/hakko-rf-soldering-tweezers-fx-1003-$240/

Be aware there are some variations in the FX1003 tips, there seem to be different versions that are shorter or longer. Thermaltronics clones seem to be a lot longer. They all still work though.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: ststefanov13

• Regular Contributor
As far as I understand, you have not tried with the original stands for the fx-1001, fx-1002 and fx-1003 soldering irons, does the MX-500P put the soldering iron to sleep, the temperature in the sleeping state should be ~200 C ?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 07:34:52 am by ststefanov13 »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
As far as I understand, you have not tried with the original stands for the fx-1001, fx-1002 and fx-1003 soldering irons, does the MX-500P put the soldering iron to sleep, the temperature in the sleeping state should be ~200 C ?

The low power state for Metcal is controlled by magnets in the stand and has nothing to do with the base station.
Hakko stands should also have magnets in them which will reduce the iron temperature. Though the hakko base seems to offer additional sleep settings. Not sure how that is accomplished, probably software predictions. Not really important.

Temperature is somewhere around 130-200C depends on the strength of the magnets.

The following users thanked this post: ststefanov13

• Regular Contributor
The MX-500 Station has arrived. I can confirm that Metcal MX-500-21 works with Hakko FX100 handles (FX1001-81) and now while I'm waiting for the handle stand ordered as a spare part FH800-81BY, can you tell me what magnets I should use to break the sleep mode?

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
To sleep the Metcal tip, install a neodymium magnet in the stand close to the resting position of the tip. The magnetic field lowers the temperature of the Curie point of the heating element in the tip, which effectively reduces its temperature. It is a passive effect and works with any Metcal power supply old or new. When you lift the handle away from the stand, the tip very quickly recovers nominal temperature (within a couple seconds).

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
The MX-500 Station has arrived. I can confirm that Metcal MX-500-21 works with Hakko FX100 handles (FX1001-81) and now while I'm waiting for the handle stand ordered as a spare part FH800-81BY, can you tell me what magnets I should use to break the sleep mode?

Most decent sized aliexpress neodymium magnets will work. The original stands used half moon shape hard drive magnets, if you have old scrap hard drives you can salvage those.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/dyi-thermaltronicsmetcal-sleep-stand-mod-question/

The optimal placement is having the north/south pole in line with the same direction as the tip. You can play around with the positioning and monitor the power at the wall to find the lowest point.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf