Author Topic: JBC CD 2BB , dual voltage or only single , 220v vs 120v 60hz  (Read 3127 times)

Offline KD0CAC JohnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
JBC CD 2BB , dual voltage or only single , 220v vs 120v 60hz
« on: March 17, 2013, 03:51:11 pm »
I saw an auction that I may have bid on , but it was for European voltage and I'm in US .
I've been into lots of gear and often seen a switch either on the outside or inside to switch between 120 , 240 .
I have been looking at the JCB stations and have not seen if they can operate on either voltage & 50hz - 60hz .
Also with so many models and not being in the repair to spend big bucks $600 - 1,000 +++ , it would seem that the model I am referring to may do best for me ?
I do have a Metcal older unit like the STT2 or close with the desoldering gun with the stand gun & solder with switch for either . 

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: JBC CD 2BB , dual voltage or only single , 220v vs 120v 60hz
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:06:40 pm »
Unfortunately, they use dedicated mains input (not selectable/auto-switching) just like any other soldering station manufacturer.

So if you went with an EU model, you'd either need a step-up tranformer, swap out the transformer in the station, or install a single phase 240V circuit (and get the correct power cord where required).

Offline amiq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:51:33 pm »
Stick with the Metcal.  The JBC units are not very reliable in my experience (probably less so than the Metcals) and repairing them is not a DIY job (the Metcal design hasn't changed in years and is simple to repair)  I moved from a Metcal user to JBC units, but now when a JBC unit fails it gets replaced by a Metcal. 

Offline cyr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:53:10 pm »
See if you can find a replacement part list or something like that for the station, it may be the same as the DI3000 which I converted from 110 to 230V. The only part which was different was a small PCB on the primary side of the transformer, that puts the windings in series or parallel. Well, that and the fuse...

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:09:12 am »
Quote from: amiq
Stick with the Metcal.  The JBC units are not very reliable in my experience (probably less so than the Metcals) and repairing them is not a DIY job (the Metcal design hasn't changed in years and is simple to repair)  I moved from a Metcal user to JBC units, but now when a JBC unit fails it gets replaced by a Metcal.

I can't agree with that. My company uses JBC stuff exclusively for engineering, testing, assembly and rework. Last two of those go on in 3-shift work, 24/7 and I Haven't heard of any of those stations failing.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline amiq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:31:40 am »
I must be very unlucky then!  We only have 6 or 7 stations - mostly DI3000 units and have had problems with them all (bar one).  The most common fault is failure of one of the 2 channels.

The only time the Metcals seem to fail (MX500 units) is if the tips are changed without powering off the unit.

Offline KD0CAC JohnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:34:29 pm »
One of the reasons for looking at the JBC units is that the Metcal power supply the right hand light , amber has been coming on more often and the last couple of times its on all the time , and no heat at tip .
Have not found any diagrams or other documents on this yet , its an older unit before the MX , not at the shop now , but if I can remember correctly it was FRG-30 P.S.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf