Author Topic: Proxxon electric screwdriver reviev  (Read 4208 times)

Offline hacklordsniperTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
Proxxon electric screwdriver reviev
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:20:44 pm »
Recently i started a topic about finding a electric screwdriver for small assembly and hobby use. However searching and watching eBay only brought up screwdrivers so abused they were certainly dead or Chinese low quality plastic crap. Since i was no ready (and did not need) to spend 500 $ on a electric screwdriver i gave up the idea.

While i was walking trough one big tool store i noticed this proxxon sitting in its box with allot of dust on it. I opened the box and i actually feel quite good quality. Since i have some other tools from proxxon (butane torches) which serve me well for years now i decided to give it a try. It comes without power supply and they come in 3 models. The most cheap like mine, then an other one with speed control and a third one expensive one that can power more than one tool at the time. Since i don't plan to use their soldering irons i decided the most cheap will suit me. Altrough i could power it from one of my bench power supplies or common notebook adapter i decided to take the original power supply. If i will use a not original i need to cut the cable and problem could be if the screwdriver dies in warranty. And anyway power supply is very cheap.

First impression is great. I tried squeezing it in hand quite hard and the plastic is extremely strong, no problem whatsoever. It uses a simple clutch and switch for forward/reverse. It uses a standard head which can accept any 1/8 screwdriver bit and can go up to the 9 mm. Great i can use load of bits i have, i don't have to buy too expensive bits from the manufacturer of the screwdriver.

The power supply is simple and you can see they just solder components depending on model. I installed few 0 ohm resistors and few caps to make the power supply more stable in existing unpopulated places. The screwdriver now works with more comfortable speed and has quite allot more power when you are tightening very hard. You could easily figure out the circuit on the speed control and save some money by buying cheaper one but its not needed for this screwdriver.

Any questions, ask  :)

Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Proxxon electric screwdriver reviev
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 02:50:03 pm »
Adding the caps probably isn't a good thing if you're just running a brushed DC motor. You'll increase the average voltage and peak currents, causing things to run hotter.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 04:21:36 pm »
Adding the caps probably isn't a good thing if you're just running a brushed DC motor. You'll increase the average voltage and peak currents, causing things to run hotter.

Its not a problem in this specific case because the screwdriver is actually rated for 18 V, 2.5 A. The power supply is rated for 12 V 2 A so im still running in specs

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »
This power supply is unregulated. The regulation is in the tool itself, some types at least.
I have thiso one too, it's powering my Micromot 50E which has speed regulation built-in.
I have to add that the plastic case is made from Noryl, which is stated to be heat-resistant.

Which values you used for the added capacitors?
Wife hates words like Fluke, Ersa ...

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:25:09 pm »
This power supply is unregulated. The regulation is in the tool itself, some types at least.
I have thiso one too, it's powering my Micromot 50E which has speed regulation built-in.
I have to add that the plastic case is made from Noryl, which is stated to be heat-resistant.

Which values you used for the added capacitors?

I used 680 uF 50 V. You should use capacitors with larger capitance and smaller voltage possibly. I used this caps since i bought them NOS in quite big quanity

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf