Author Topic: I now hate Ubiquiti - need a new bedfellow  (Read 9372 times)

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: I now hate Ubiquiti - need a new bedfellow
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2022, 12:43:18 pm »
Not sure the aversion to cloud or data whore. You might look at the Aruba Instant On. Could managed, but no ongoing fees.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2022, 01:14:45 pm »
OpenWrt is an alternative open source firmware supporting many routers/APs (https://openwrt.org/). It's based on linux, runs quite stable and comes with tons of features. You can also install additional software.

+2 cents...  https://mikrotik.com/   has been order of mag better than UBI.

Some corps just squat a shit on costumers head..  I could enum a list... but I guess....

Tell these assholes to FUCKOFF.
It has been the last decade moto..

Paul

Offline mapleLCTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2022, 02:30:22 pm »
Not sure the aversion to cloud or data whore. You might look at the Aruba Instant On. Could managed, but no ongoing fees.

Cloud managed is code for data whore.  It's not even worth researching.

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2022, 11:38:46 pm »
Cloud mgt. is a security risk! At best it is only as secure as the company running the clouds servers want it to be and at worst easily hacked by 3rd parties subjecting your network and equipment to much more that data leaks!

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2022, 12:52:45 am »
If you're on a small budget, I hear good things about TP Link's Omada range. It's not Cisco/Meraki, but it's not priced like Cisco! It's both cloud based or stand alone configuration. Check out: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/omada-sdn/

That's what Ubiquiti "was" also.  Now it's even a standalone data whore. I am hesitant to repeat the behavior that led me to Ubiquiti, but if it supports true standalone, then I would consider it.

Running the local controller for Ubiquity is not enough?  I just have it on a spare PC at the moment.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 12:55:55 am by David Hess »

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2022, 01:36:22 am »
If you're on a small budget, I hear good things about TP Link's Omada range. It's not Cisco/Meraki, but it's not priced like Cisco! It's both cloud based or stand alone configuration. Check out: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/omada-sdn/

That's what Ubiquiti "was" also.  Now it's even a standalone data whore. I am hesitant to repeat the behavior that led me to Ubiquiti, but if it supports true standalone, then I would consider it.

Running the local controller for Ubiquity is not enough?  I just have it on a spare PC at the moment.

Unless they really, really changed something, the local controller software/app doesn't even need to be running.   Fire it up when you want to check something or make a change to you network config.   I did this for long time.  It can't collect data if it is not up and running.

I do have a local controller that is up all the time time now, nothing leaves for cloud management, no remote management.   

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2022, 02:07:48 am »

At some point you will need the new software.  That's when all of this BS happened to me.  Also, you are speaking pretty generically about a company with a lot of products.  You could be comparing experiences with anything there.

There's no way around what I am experiencing, you can search it yourself.  If yours is not now, it's probably coming.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2022, 02:43:57 am »

Unless they really, really changed something, the local controller software/app doesn't even need to be running.   Fire it up when you want to check something or make a change to you network config.   I did this for long time.  It can't collect data if it is not up and running.

That is what I have been doing but only because I have not gotten around to having the local controller automatically start and I forget until I need it.

I do have a local controller that is up all the time time now, nothing leaves for cloud management, no remote management.

I think that was in the configuration somewhere.  I disabled it all.

At some point you will need the new software.  That's when all of this BS happened to me.  Also, you are speaking pretty generically about a company with a lot of products.  You could be comparing experiences with anything there.

I have their most recent Unifi Wifi 6 access point and software.  Part of the reason I bought it is to evaluate Unifi.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2022, 04:38:15 am »
One vote for legacy gear. I was able to get a pile of Cisco 2701 access points (too old to work with some new management model and therefore retired) and am running a wireless controller in VMware for them.  No cloud. PoE.

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2022, 03:12:36 am »
I'm using AC-lite is that legacy gear?

I haven't look at mine for months and after reading this thread a few days ago I decide to see what they are doing and updating the firmware. To my surprise I couldn't connect to them using the controller running on Windows. Tried updating the controller still would work. I could see the AP but they weren't online and I couldn't get them online. I ended up running the controller inside docker on a NAS. That worked for 4 out of 5 APs.  The 5th one I had to reset, but the reset button seem not to work. I turned out the switch was in pieces. I ending up soldering 2 wire to the switch contact and ran them outside the case. After a reset I got it to work.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 03:16:48 am by BlackICE »

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2022, 04:11:21 am »
UPDATE

My $50 AUD second-hand Gl-inet AP has been working great for the past few days.  Not much more to say.  Having the second AP in the house has dramatically improved reception in certain spots.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2022, 04:13:08 am »
I assume the AP AC line is still current.  They have evolved that line slowly over time (the older hardware with a black logo needed nonstandard PoE from their nonstandard injectors) and I think they still sell it?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2023, 12:25:35 am »
I am reporting back on my results

All Ubiquiti products are turned off and dead to me.
  :-DD

I went with Gl.iNet, the one mentioned above.  It has everything I need.  Open source, router or access point, and not expensive.

GL-inet GL-B1330 "Convexa B"

The learning curve was not simple.  I could not get the mesh to work after try after try.  I managed to get 1 node, but never another, so I abandoned it.

Here is some stupid/laughable/good to know:

There is an advanced setup page for the admin console... I kept thinking I hosed it and lost the skin.  Several resets later I realized I was dumb.

The instructions out there are poor, good luck.

The debricking video is very good, look it up

Ignore resetting posts online... left button flashes, faster flashes, let it go.  That's it.

Its not as fast daisy chained... I kept my switch to switch communications and used the GLs as spokes to the switches.  The main router gets the internet, that gets a lan connection to my best switch, that goes to my other 2 switches at the other ends of the house.  The other access points are off those switches.  Initially I daisy chained the Gls but that wasn't very quick, I have some pretty good Cisco switches optically wired.

I wish was a POE unit, the adapter is available but not worth it in my view.

I guess after doing this, its a good setup for a home.

My guy says that this router is not that potent, and that I would do better with a powerful router and covert all the Gls to access points... am I correct?

Any thoughts on openwrt routers that might be more potent and fit within the ethos of the thread?

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2023, 11:49:05 am »
For openWRT device recommendations: scroll to the bottom of  https://forum.openwrt.org/t/whats-your-favorite-enthusiast-lede-openwrt-device/4477/1 and have a look at some of the other forum topics there.

The learning curve was not simple.  I could not get the mesh to work after try after try.  I managed to get 1 node, but never another, so I abandoned it.

I've never tried sorry. 

From what I've read: mesh wifi and wifi repeaters are intrinsically unreliable.  They sometimes work and sometimes don't. 

The following users thanked this post: mapleLC

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2023, 12:22:47 pm »
Quadcore ARM, 717MHz, 256MB RAM and 32MB flash is fine for high-speed DSL and running a VoIP PBX. Unless you want to go for 1Gbps FTTH that router should last a while.

The following users thanked this post: mapleLC

Offline fortunamatada

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2023, 08:52:07 am »
Hate to break it to you, but GliNet EoLs their products as well. 

And you can always just run an old version of the controller (no, that doesn't mean its cloud managed unless you go buy the cloud managed version, the local version is totally free and local) if you want to keep using your old gear.  And I mean, if your 10 year old car breaks down, do you think the dealership will just fix it for free?  Why should they write code for you for free for a decade? 

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2023, 10:48:26 am »
I'm using three Zyxel access points in the house. I haven't cared about "roaming", but the newest one that I have, NWA50AX, supposedly supports 802.11r in managed controller mode. This requires cloud access, so I haven't cared about that. In standalone mode, they are supposed to stop to respond or disassociate the client if the RSSI of the client reaches a certain value and thereby enables the client to switch to another AP (supports 802.11k/v). So far I haven't cared about it, I anyway have 1 GBit wired ethernet in all rooms. I haven't used other APs since the days of Linksys WRT54 and such, but these Zyxel ones have been pretty much set and forget. I did set their 2.4 and 5 GHz channels individually to avoid overlap. This is done automatically if you use their Nebula platform.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:20:43 am by JohanH »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2023, 12:18:44 pm »

You have a few choices:
- Buy a new inexpensive router every few years (2 or 3 years in most cases).
- Buy a more expensive router with longer support (about 10 years, e.g. AVM or Lancom).
- Buy an inexpensive router supported by OpenWrt.
- Build your own router (mini PC with pfSense/OPNsense/OpenWrt).

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2023, 12:42:31 pm »
From what I've read: mesh wifi and wifi repeaters are intrinsically unreliable.  They sometimes work and sometimes don't.

In that sense we could also say that WiFi is inherently unreliable, because of the use of ISM bands. ;) Most problems with extenders, mesh and repeaters are caused by compatibility issues or an uncommon interpretation of standards. For example, D-Link is known for devices with poor WiFi performance. I've seen expensive D-Link APs using strange timeout settings which create a lot a fun with devices from other vendors.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2023, 12:05:44 am »

And you can always just run an old version of the controller (no, that doesn't mean its cloud managed unless you go buy the cloud managed version, the local version is totally free and local) if you want to keep using your old gear.  And I mean, if your 10 year old car breaks down, do you think the dealership will just fix it for free?  Why should they write code for you for free for a decade?

You missed the point, by a lot.

Take you analogy, but instead of fixing you car for free, they intentionally break it under a forced service agreement you "agree to".  Do you understand better?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf