Author Topic: Hakko FX-951 Issue  (Read 1694 times)

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hakko FX-951 Issue
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:21:03 am »
I've had the 951 for a while now and I really like how it works, but one thing kind of bugs me about it.  The base unit connects to the soldering iron holder via a 1/8 inch phono type cable and I find it to be more of a hassle than either the main power cord or the iron cable itself.  I like the sleep functionality but wish they used a similar concept as used in the various 858D hot air stations -- a magnet and reed switch.  So, if the iron holder had a magnet and the iron handle had a reed switch then you could do away with the 1/8 inch phono cable altogether and that would make me really love the Hakko.

Another option would be the use of a hall effect sensor in the iron handle in place of the reed switch, but given the cost difference and the relatively low number of actuation's there should be little worry about a reed switch failure with use.

I have my 951 on a shelf just above my work bench/table and I leave the base unit there only moving the iron holder as needed.  So, without the phono cable I'd have almost no hassling with wires/cables when moving the iron holder in and out of the rack and around my work table.

Brian

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Hakko FX-951 Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 04:08:01 pm »
Unfortunately, if you want to keep the sleep functionality, you'll have to live with it (it's a quite reliable method, and inexpensive to implement as well).  :-\

Mine also uses a switch design; the stand connects to the base and the iron to the stand (pass-through). Means only a single cable from the base so fewer difficulties with placement IME.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Hakko FX-951 Issue
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:14:11 pm »
Have you tried to wire tie them together?  I have been thinking of trying it with my 951.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf