Author Topic: Differential probe's Technical Specifications questions  (Read 2561 times)

Online 2nOrderEDOTopic starter

• Contributor
Differential probe's Technical Specifications questions
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:13:47 am »
Hello people,

Now in my work we are developing Switch Mode Power Supplys and we need to measure voltages on the primary side of our power supply. To achieve that we want to buy a differential probe so we can measure without using an isolation transformer (which is dangerous).

In our power supply the voltage on the drain of our MOSFET can go from 450VDC to 800VDC and I'm a little bit confused because the technical specs on the datasheets of the differentials probes. We have a RIGOL DS2102 oscilloscope and we are thinking on buying the RP1050D differential probe. Below are the electrical characteristics (picture attached)

Can someone explain to my the specs? I  know what maximun differential voltage is, and the single ended one with respect to ground. But I don't know what they mean with DC+AC peak to peak or when they say:

"Maximum differential voltage: 7000V (DC+AC peak-peak vale) or 450Vrms" (from http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-01c6/1/-/-/-/-/file.pdf)

¡To me 7000VDC is not 450Vrms, is 7000Vrms!

If someone can help me understand the specs It will we nice, or if Dave does a VBlog on differential probes will we wonderful

thank you in advance. ^^

PD: Sorry about my English and about spellings mistakes.

15/oct/2013 Rigol's answer:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm attaching the picture to this post and the new datasheet too.

Thanks for you answer Dave! (Dont confuse with Dave Jones)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:58:52 am by 2nOrderEDO »

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
Re: Differential probe's Technical Specifications questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:25:21 pm »
"Maximum differential voltage: 7000V (DC+AC peak-peak vale) or 450Vrms" (from http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-01c6/1/-/-/-/-/file.pdf)
I have a feeling that one zero slipped away. 4500Vrms would make more sense there.

Why don't you contact the manufacturer and ask them about it? They would surely be the most reliable source for that information.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:38:38 am »
I'm sending an Email to Rigol. I will post what they say. Thanks for the answer.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 01:32:55 pm »
Rigol dind't answer yet. That is what makes me think on buying a Agilent Oscilloscope instead of a Rigol one.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:47:37 am »
I received the answer and I'm modifiying my first post to accomodate the explanation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf