Author Topic: Hakko FX-888D Teardown  (Read 20603 times)

Offline echen1024Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Hakko FX-888D Teardown
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:31:34 pm »
A simple teardown of my Hakko FX888D iron, and a review soon. High res photos attached.

The TO220 is a STMicro BTA06 triac for switching the element, above it, the SOIC part is probably an LM358 op amp for temp control/measurement. In the center, there is that BGA Hakko custom MCU/IC, and on the right I would presume the SOT23 is a voltage regulator or something of the sort.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hakko FX-888D Teardown
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:57:23 pm »
Forget to unplug it before tearing it apart? 6:45 into the video... ROFLMAO!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:11:48 am »

... "Dad !! Dad !! Look, I becoming more & more like Dave .... bzzztt .... boo hoo...  :-DD

Trap for youngster : Understand the fundamental first, then shoot electronic video blog, not the other way around.  :palm:

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:12:03 am »
Yes. My first, and hopefully last... experience with mains. I am usually quite good with safety.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:13:32 am »

... "Dad !! Dad !! Look, I becoming more & more like Dave .... bzzztt .... boo hoo...  :-DD

Trap for youngster : Understand the fundamental first, then shoot electronic video blog, not the other way around.  :palm:
I unplugged it, took it apart to prepare for the video, then reassembled and tested it. I forgot to unplug it afterwards. I am usually quite good with mains, e.g. don't touch the damn hot wire, or unplug before repairing, but hey, when you're in a rush, mistakes happen.

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:21:15 am »
I noticed some unpopulated areas on the fuse PCB, is it set up to convert to 220V? Our EU friends would be interested if it were.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:34:21 am »
I noticed some unpopulated areas on the fuse PCB, is it set up to convert to 220V? Our EU friends would be interested if it were.
I will look into that for you. I wll post back.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:53:59 am »
Here are some photos. There definitely seems to be markings on the board for 230V, HOWEVER, the transformer is clearly marked "120V 60Hz"

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 05:18:37 am »
but hey, when you're in a rush, mistakes happen.

Exactly. And that is why some of us old farts advocate safety and safe equipment so much. We managed to get old, you should try too.

Mistakes happen. And next time when someone advocates some unsafe rubbish as completely safe, as long as you pay attention, dismiss him as an idiot.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 05:41:48 am »
@echen1024. You are lucky you moved the cup with liquid away 60 seconds earlier otherwise things could have gotten really ugly really fast.  When you jerked your hand back, that was exactly where the cup was 60 seconds ago.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 05:54:36 am »
Hopefully one has learnt a bit , years to go yet! (I really presume that too much concentration was being spent being "on camera" instead of what one was doing with the hands)

Big no no fluid on workbench no matter what! 12v not so bad mains a no no ..

Contemplating death for a few seconds there , the silence , death ...

:-+

ps> what is that other spare connection on the transformer primary? (1st one in from black wire , I just looked again and its listed as 1)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:59:15 am by GEuser »
Soon

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:56:19 am »
I've determined that the MCU used in the FX-888D is not-so-custom; it's a Renesas part.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 01:43:37 pm »
CN1, is that an USB connection?

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 02:33:51 pm »
No, it's probably just for firmware updates... maybe a voltage, rx , tx, ground  or a jtag connection

Offline Ferroto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 05:25:47 pm »
That's nothing I once seen an electrician flick a wire to see if its live.

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »
ps> what is that other spare connection on the transformer primary? (1st one in from black wire , I just looked again and its listed as 1)
Measure voltage between pin 5 and pin 1, what do you want to bet it'll be 230V? Unless there are traces on the other side of the board...

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 06:08:52 pm »
The transformer is maximum 120v.  My bet is that it's 110v  + 10v  or 100v + 20v, to use same transformer for  Japan (100v) or US (120v). The PCB has 240v simply to reuse it for units made for Europe (230v) and Australia (240v) and possibly other countries. 
It's not very obvious if pin 1 of the transformer  is actually connected to anything on that PCB, it's a bit puzzling.

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 07:31:23 pm »
6:37 So you got a shock by the mains. seriously not a good idea what you doing here, you have no diligence and its not the first time you being so reckless. 

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 08:15:03 pm »
6:37 So you got a shock by the mains. seriously not a good idea what you doing here, you have no diligence and its not the first time you being so reckless.
Yeah, it should have been an 'outtake'. 

But seriously, maybe eschen1024 is biting off a little bit more than he can chew, trying to film while tearing down a piece of equipment. 

Sure hope we don't have any more Dave wannabees ending up on the Darwin awards website.

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 09:14:51 pm »
Yeah, it should have been an 'outtake'. 

But seriously, maybe eschen1024 is biting off a little bit more than he can chew, trying to film while tearing down a piece of equipment. 

Sure hope we don't have any more Dave wannabees ending up on the Darwin awards website.

he lost his virginity before puberty

EEVBlog needs another  smiley

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:22:58 pm by staxquad »
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 03:33:09 am »
I think teardowns are biting more off than I can chew. I feel I can operate test equipment on camera, but fiddling with the camera while taking something apart? Nah, not gonna happen until I get another game plan. For my 3478A battery change, I might just leave the camera, and if it turns out good, publish it, otherwise forget about it. That should allow me to focus on the task at hand.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 03:57:20 am »
I think teardowns are biting more off than I can chew. I feel I can operate test equipment on camera, but fiddling with the camera while taking something apart? Nah, not gonna happen until I get another game plan. For my 3478A battery change, I might just leave the camera, and if it turns out good, publish it, otherwise forget about it. That should allow me to focus on the task at hand.

Understand the need to be recognized as cool (maybe also for your school's friends for street cred ?) like Dave does with his unscripted videos, but you have to realize that he came from long experienced in electronics engineering field, and that even with lotsa hiccups.

Plan or at least a light script carefully on what to shoot and talk about beforehand.

Just word of advise, you don't want to screw up on the 3478A when doing the cal's ram battery replacement, a single light touch on the wrong part either with your solder tip or dmm probe will toast the calibration  |O. Looking at your videos (not only this one), imo accident tends to happen easily with your style there.

Hopefully we will not see you launched another new thread that will sound like .... "Help !!! My 3478A lost it's cal ...  :-DD

My 2 drops worth of solder.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 04:37:01 am »
Yes, I think a few days worth of advance planning would do me much good. I typically think of a video idea in Friday night coming hoe from swim team, and then directly film it. Luckily, this Friday is holiday so I can get battery on Thursday, plan out everything, and get it going on Sunday. I have been investigating the best way to change the battery recently (it arrives Thursday,) and plan on connecting a power supply to the 2 terminals, then desolder the battery, and solder in the new one. Plug the meter in (without sticking my fingers into the socket) and powering it on before removing the supply. Any comments would be appreciated.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 04:38:49 am »
Measure voltage between pin 5 and pin 1, what do you want to bet it'll be 230V? Unless there are traces on the other side of the board...

Fuse goes to 2 , for 100v? then if it went to 1 120v? I just read post again and could not see what voltage is being used (100 or 110 or 120) , funny thing is its not marked on the board either so maybe it does not go anywhere , but it would be easy enough just to check continuity there (not plugged in) .

Anyway good on you OP for not pulling the video and copping flak , at least you still alive and maybe and "just" maybe you have shown just how easy it can be to die if all things are correct (or un-correct if look at it that way too) .
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:53:01 am by GEuser »
Soon

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 04:39:58 am »
My flag is US... so that implies 120.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf