Author Topic: Fy6900 crashing from severe noise  (Read 1257 times)

Offline BlackICETopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fy6900 crashing from severe noise
« on: January 28, 2020, 11:02:23 am »
I'm using the FY 6900 function generator as input to an ignition coil driver to test an ignition coil. After one or two test Cycles  the generator stops working and doesn't output anymore  square waves. Turning controls seem to do nothing. The only way I can get it to resume normal operation is to unplug it then input all my settings all over again. I guess the noise from the spark generator is so severe it is crashing the microcontroller inside the function generator. What a pain in the butt. I guess I'll have to think of how to Shield the function generator and or moving the spark farther away. Any other suggestions? I am generating a spark over .2 inches long which estimate it is about 20000 volts. I'm trying to adjust dwell time to get the desired maximum voltage output. Not too high but not too low. As I want to charge some capacitors but don't want to exceed their maximum voltage rating.

At least it's only the cheap function generator crashing rather than my  oscilloscope getting fried. When I saw no square waves on the scope it had to be either the school or the function generator..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:07:26 am by BlackICE »

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fy6900 crashing from severe noise
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 07:56:23 am »
I think that some shielding is needed. I've read about a conductive paint to spray inside the case, but it can worse the things as can reflect back some noise generated inside.
Maybe isolating with copper sheets the single boards is a better thing.
I'm interested as i'm waiting my fy6900 and i'll use it in automotive ecu testing (testing coils and ecus)

Offline BlackICETopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fy6900 crashing from severe noise
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 07:08:13 am »
I moved the spark gap about 1 meter away and it seem to not crash too often. Still can get it to crash sometimes if I change the freq and duty cycle.

A warning of something dumb I did. I used it with a voltage offset so that the square wave would be from 0 to 3v P to P. That worked great for continuous output. When I tried the burst mode the off state is at the voltage offset that is now 1.5v not 0 volts so that my IGBT driver was not off or in a saturation and got fried!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf