Author Topic: Hakko FT-720 Automatic Tip Cleaner (and others)  (Read 1983 times)

Offline diggerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hakko FT-720 Automatic Tip Cleaner (and others)
« on: July 24, 2024, 11:04:47 am »

i'm interested in an auto tip cleaner but don't want to spend jbc money. i don't really want to spend even a couple hundred.

https://hakkousa.com/ft-720-tip-cleaner.html

at ~125usd shipped, this one's kinda tempting. anyone have it?

thing is, is it actually a step up from the yihua crappers et al. on ali?
https://www.aliexpress.us/w/wholesale-automatic-soldering-iron-tip-cleaner.html

the 200C's reviewed here by SDG:

the hakko build quality looks a little better, but i'd like you all's thoughts on it.

also, is there anything else i should be looking at?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 07:37:39 pm by digger »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Hakko FT-720 Automatic Tip Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2024, 09:48:53 pm »
Construction ooks to be essentially the same as the yihua.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 09:07:15 pm »
I have a YIHUA 200C on order from amazon that should be here by Saturday. The 50 buck (US) Yihua appears to be a cheapy version of the Hakko FT-720, but now includes 6 "improved" brass brushes that appear to be much fuller and thicker than what was originally included. I'll post the results when it gets here.

As I am nearing retirement and closing up shop, I will be going from "professional" to "hobbyist" usage; therefore I had no intention whatsoever of paying JBC or Metcal prices for a top-of-the-line unit. First time I have ever cheaped-out on tooling... I'll just hide it behind all of the expensive JBC, Hakko, Pace and Metcal gear.

I did watch all of the available Hakko videos, and concluded that the Hakko FT-700 would be a marginally better performing unit than the FT-720, with higher quality brass brushes but no automatic activation. Inconvenient and higher priced too.

The following users thanked this post: digger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 03:06:51 am »
I did watch all of the available Hakko videos, and concluded that the Hakko FT-700 would be a marginally better performing unit than the FT-720, with higher quality brass brushes but no automatic activation. Inconvenient and higher priced too.

my possibly incorrect impression is that the 720's a newer product and is intended for routine cleaning, whereas the 700's focused on rejuvenation of abused/oxidized tips.

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 03:59:16 pm »
I did see a brochure for their tip cleaners, and you are correct, the FT-700 is tagged for oxide removal. The others, more for light cleaning and excess solder removal.
The other models all seem to come with very sparse resin/synthetic-based brushes, but do offer (equally sparse) metal brushes as replacements.

My feeling was that for the limited effectiveness of the lighter models (just my opinion, based on videos), I would get similar results with the usual brass wool and sponge method. The reason that I went with the YIHUA 200C was because the metal brushes were more in line with those in the FT-700, and "might" be able to deal with my occasional oxidation issues. I guess we'll find out soon; the shipping says "out for delivery", haha.

If you only deal with leaded solder and work at reasonable temperatures, the oxidation issue really shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 10:46:14 pm »
Metcal SFV-CH25AR tip.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2024, 10:46:54 pm »
After cleaning;

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2024, 12:18:15 am »
Sometimes the simplest solutin is the cleverest.
Since 1960s we use  wet Sponge. Reuse old one from the kitchen....
No tip damge, no power,

j

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2024, 12:43:46 am »
If you want to have that discussion here for some reason, simplest solution is brass wool, no having to screw around with constantly wetting the sponge or replacing it when it gets dirty.

Dirty sponges are one further cause of dewetting. In addition to the corrosive by-products mentioned earlier, dirty sponges collect solder dross that contains heavy metals. This dross can adhere to the iron plating, forming a non-wetting surface. Hard water also contains elements which can form a bonded, non-wetting surface. To prevent this, use only clean sponges wet with deionized water.
https://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/oki-metcal/extendingTipLife.pdf

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2024, 01:22:43 am »
 brass spongers are OK too,

the sponges for Metcal and Hakko have a hole in the middel for the dross.

j

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2024, 01:25:50 am »
No tip damge, no power,

j

Yeah, sure. Now go take a ride in your Model T....

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2024, 07:03:19 pm »
Arts: "Yeah, sure. Now go take a ride in your Model T...."

Walk, metro, bus  in Paris....

2007 Volvo still works fine!

ENJOY!

Jon

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2024, 11:31:13 am »
No tip damge, no power,
Even for people that use sponges, suggesting a reused old kitchen sponge is lunacy.

You not only don’t want some old-ass sponge full of god-only-knows what contaminants, you don’t even want to use a new kitchen sponge because they often contain ingredients that decompose in heat to compounds that are damaging to tips. The same document thm_w linked also says this:

Corrosion related failures can further be reduced by making sure sponges used to clean tips are sulfur
free. Only use sponges carried by a reputable solder supplier designed for soldering. Regular "store"
sponges often contain sulfur or plastic materials that form corrosive by-products when the sponges are
heated to soldering temperatures.
Use only clean sponges. Dirty sponges collect contaminants which can react at high temperature,
forming corrosive by-products.

So if you choose to stick with sponges, they still need to be the right kind of sponges, moistened with distilled/deionized water.

But of course there’s a reason the industry has largely moved away from sponges: brass wool works better. It’s gentler on the tips, and it doesn’t cause as big a loss in tip temperature. Those are particularly important when using lead-free, due to the higher temperatures involved.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2024, 11:34:03 am »
After cleaning;
The tip was practically brand new, in immaculate condition, before cleaning. How does it perform on a tip that’s actually been through real use, with accumulated, crusty flux residues, etc?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2024, 07:30:21 pm »
https://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/oki-metcal/extendingTipLife.pdf

thanks for sharing that. i never knew about tip construction. it always bothered me that i couldn't tin the whole tip. i had assumed i just missed the boat and was not fast enough in getting the whole surface before it oxidized, but now i know that it's like that by design (prevents unwanted solder migration up into the iron) and not possible to tin the whole thing anyways due to the nickel-chrome plating beyond the work surface.

also, even though i'm not a sponge guy, it's good to know to not use any sponge not specifically made for soldering.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2024, 07:38:59 pm »
I have a YIHUA 200C on order from amazon that should be here by Saturday. The 50 buck (US) Yihua appears to be a cheapy version of the Hakko FT-720, but now includes 6 "improved" brass brushes that appear to be much fuller and thicker than what was originally included. I'll post the results when it gets here.

As I am nearing retirement and closing up shop, I will be going from "professional" to "hobbyist" usage; therefore I had no intention whatsoever of paying JBC or Metcal prices for a top-of-the-line unit. First time I have ever cheaped-out on tooling... I'll just hide it behind all of the expensive JBC, Hakko, Pace and Metcal gear.

did you get it yet? i just ordered one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY2L66MG/

interestingly, there is also a FT-710 https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_ft710.html

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2024, 12:41:02 am »

did you get it yet? i just ordered one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY2L66MG/

interestingly, there is also a FT-710 https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_ft710.html

Yes, I received it on July 26 and posted a quick response above on that date. Since then I've been using it regularly and it works very well. You do have to be careful not to push the barrel into the brushes; just the tip itself, otherwise it stalls out. I've found that it takes very little time for cleaning, a second or two does the trick.

I have also tried using it with old tips that were really oxidized and did not respond to the usual brass wool and sponge treatment, and it seems to have brought them back to life.

Will it wear out our tips? Maybe if you use it constantly. I'll only be using it when the tips are unable to take solder after the usual cleaning, so wear should be minimal.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, digger

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
Re: Hakko FT-720 Automatic Tip Cleaner (and others)
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2024, 01:18:33 am »
If you still have a dodgy old tip - Can you share a before and after photo?

TonyG

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Hakko FT-720 Automatic Tip Cleaner (and others)
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2024, 09:44:47 pm »
FT720 for 91 shipped from japan: https://www.ebay.com/itm/387037024129

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf