Author Topic: Hakko 808 Repair  (Read 2020 times)

Offline rfdesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hakko 808 Repair
« on: October 04, 2020, 06:56:40 pm »
Hi -
I acquired (free) a very nice condition Hakko 808.  It looks to have been barely used.  The unit worked for a few days before the heating element died. Of course new parts are hard to come by and the elements are in the $70 range.   Being a typical a engineer (i.e. cheap) I want to see if there is any hope at all in attempting a repair of the heating element.  I've pulled the heating element and it shows as being open directly at the ceramic.  With nothing to lose, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice to giving this repair a shot.
Your advice is welcome.
Thanks - Jim

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Hakko 808 Repair
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 08:43:18 pm »
Hard to come by? I just did a search and found them on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-A1234-Replacement-Heater-80W/dp/B003090G70  When I've needed parts I've bought them directly from Hakko. $55 doesn't seem too bad, when I bought my 808 it was over $200 and I think the model that replaced it costs considerably more.

You can of course try to repair the original one, you've got nothing to lose, but how much is your time worth? I would just buy a new element.

Offline rfdesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 08:50:55 pm »
I totally understand what you are saying.  However, I really don't *need* it anytime soon and I like the challenge.  That's the true reason.

Thanks

Offline rdagger

• Contributor
    • Rototron
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 04:22:51 am »
My 808 heating element died, and it looks like Hakko no longer sells them.  I couldn't find the part A1234 anywhere online except some guy on eBay selling them for $320 US.
Did you succeed in your repair challenge?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf